Search

NIZUC (Cancun, Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No program whatsoever
NIZUC (Cancun, Mexico)

What is the consensus on this property?

Some of the design choices look stunning (thank you, Jean-Michel), but one wonders about service levels.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by 0bsidian

Some of the design choices look stunning (thank you, Jean-Michel), but one wonders about service levels.

Multiple clients have raved about the spa.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM 360
Originally Posted by 0bsidian

We stayed there last August for about 4-5 nights. The design, rooms, spa, fitness center, tennis, beach, restaurants and service were all impeccable. The one problem that I had which is not correctable is that about 80% of the sea floor at the property has sea grass growing in it. The water is very shallow for the first 100 yards or so from the beach, so the experience in the water is not something I ever want to experience again.

If that's not important to you, then the place is pretty magical.

For me, it's a no go on a return because of that.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:01 pm

Friends (large, extended family) stayed there last Thanksgiving week, and could not more highly recommend it.

Their only "complaint", was next time they'll not ever even leave the property.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Any recommendation regarding room type?

Traveling with an infant and would want at least a separate area for the crib
Old May 25, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by atttaboy
The one problem that I had which is not correctable is that about 80% of the sea floor at the property has sea grass growing in it. The water is very shallow for the first 100 yards or so from the beach, so the experience in the water is not something I ever want to experience again.

For me, it's a no go on a return because of that.
That was our opinion also and it is unlikely we'll return. The hotel was OK, although I have trouble imaging how this could have been an Aman. Ocean in front of the hotel was terrible; shocking for Cancun. It is more of a swamp with parts off limits due to dangerous animals. We had some trouble with the attendants at the adult section in front of the steak restaurant. Twice they claimed that they couldn't put up an umbrella for us because it was too windy ... when 5 other umbrellas were already up. I had to throw a very large hissy fit to get them to move. BK was buffet only, which I hate. The signature Mexican restaurant was forgettable. The Japanese restaurant was terrific. The bar was dull with limited (read: NO) food selection. We weren't allowed to order from other menus when in the bar. Rooms are OK. The AC WORKED!

Infants?
We were in an 'Ocean Suite'. You'll need something a little bit larger with an infant.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; May 25, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
That was our opinion also and it is unlikely we'll return. The hotel was OK, although I have trouble imaging how this could have been an Aman. Ocean in front of the hotel was terrible; shocking for Cancun. It is more of a swamp with parts off limits due to dangerous animals. We had some trouble with the attendants at the adult section in front of the steak resturant. Twice they claimed that they couldn't put up an umbrella for us because it was too windy ... when 5 other umbrellas were already up. I had to throw a very large hissy fit to get them to them to move. BK was buffet only, which I hate. The signature Mexican restaurant was forgettable. The Japanese restaurant was terrific. The bar was dull with limited (read: NO) food selection. We weren't allowed to order from other menus when in the bar. Rooms are OK. The AC WORKED!

We were in an 'Ocean Suite'. You'll need something a little bit larger with an infant.
Sounds like I should avoid. Am I better off at the Rosewood in Mayakoba?
Old May 25, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Sounds like I should avoid. Am I better off at the Rosewood in Mayakoba?
We'll be trying the Rosewood or the Belmond Maroma next. I've not stayed at either but both get good reviews here. Before Nizuc, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton. I wouldn't recommend it and frankly preferred Club Med. We have NYC friends that have a second house in the Hotel zone, so the Playa Del Carmen area is a little troublesome.

Cancun is new to us -- we switched our Thanksgiving destination to Cancun from FS Hualalai after a *disastrous* stay. FS is more interested in Cisco to pay any attention to the 110% occupancy Thanksgiving crowd. Also, with SWA companion pass, my SO flies free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.