Soneva Jani (Maldives) Opening Rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soneva Jani (Maldives) Opening Rates

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 8:43 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by offerendum
Not only on Maledives.... Same on Seychelles, Mallorca etc. I guess itīs some Kind of making the hotel interesting in the beginning (soooooo expensive, new Level, bla bla), in the end rates will get realistic....
Remember when Bulgari Bali opened at like USD 3,000/night?

Maybe they're just published rates - those rates will probably hold for peak season (Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year) etc but rest of the year will be 1/2 that, thereabouts, or even less.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Remember when Bulgari Bali opened at like USD 3,000/night?

Maybe they're just published rates - those rates will probably hold for peak season (Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year) etc but rest of the year will be 1/2 that, thereabouts, or even less.
My opinion too
Old May 23, 2016, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Yea I guess you're right. The prices should drop, I laughed when the price came out at 2700 total for the St Regis, a resort with 77 rooms. The reef does look amazing though!

Staying at Jani for 4 nights after the Jumeirah. They dont have a good reef, but they are hiring some great diving staff apparently.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
I am huge fan of the Soneva brand! IMHO, Soneva Fushi is the best resort in the Maldives (and yes, I did stay at most of them), and Soneva Kiri the best in Thailand. At least, that's the case when you like barefoot luxury, not when you like bling and glamour. These are my Soneva FT reviews (with Youtube clips):
- Soneva Fushi: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...shi-video.html
- Soneva Kiri: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ence-ever.html

During my holiday at Soneva Fushi last February, I got a tour of the Soneva Jani site (still under construction at the time). The new Soneva resort enjoys a spectacular location, somewhat different from most other Maldives' resorts. The lagoon is enormous (5 km radius!) with a couple of very lush, unspoiled islands. The resort will only have 25 villas in a first phase, so it will be very exclusive. And the villas do look spectacular. I am quite sure this will become the best (and most talked about) resort in the Maldives in no time. Rates are very expensive indeed (not sure whether they will drop) but Soneva has one of the highest number of repeat guests so I guess people will pay those rates in the end.

The villas look incredible (photo from Soneva Jani website, not my own)

Old May 28, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
I am huge fan of the Soneva brand! IMHO, Soneva Fushi is the best resort in the Maldives (and yes, I did stay at most of them), and Soneva Kiri the best in Thailand. [...]
You often post glowing remarks about Soneva, are you affiliated to them somehow? Because I notice that you offer your clients upgrades and benefits if they book Soneva properties through you.

Anyway, in general, I am really curious to better understand the appeal of the Soneva design style.

Frankly I think some of their designs err more on the "cheap-looking" than "rustic", but I understand that this is a controversial opinion and ultimately a matter of personal taste.

I just cannot get myself to consider spending Ģ1,000+ per night on something which looks like this...

Last edited by 0bsidian; May 28, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old May 28, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2013 report proposing agricultural production on soneva jani island

The absence of easily accessible good coral reef anywhere near the island‎ makes‎ it‎ lacking‎ for‎ a‎ tourist‎ resort‎

extensive clear lagoon on the western side of the island and the smaller islands in the lagoon with numerous sand cays, this island would serve as a potential location to develop a tourist resort. However, the eastern side of the island has a vegetation line almost out of the high tide line and is subjected to strong waves due to its closeness to the housereef. This side is also used by turtles extensively for nesting. There was no accessible reef with a good live coral cover close to the island. The main marketing feature of most tourist resorts being underwater beauty of Maldivian islands, absence of good snorkelling points on the Medhufaru housereef makes it lacking for a tourist resort.

house reef of Medhufaru is relatively unhealthy on the western side of the island

housereef on the west side of the island is easily accessible by boat whereas the eastern side of the island is subjected to strong currents and large waves with shallow reef flat. During the low tide, much of the lagoon on eastern side was exposed and dead coral with algae dominated the substrate. Live coral cover of the housereef on this side of the island was not examined closely due to inaccessibility and high risk to safety of the surveyors.

Site 1 is directly on the western side of the island towards the northern tip of the island on the reef flat. Only 26.67% of the site 1 is covered in live coral...Despite the lack of live coral cover, there was a surprisingly high abundance of reef fish. The fish community was dominated by Red-Toothed Triggerfish and Sergent Majors

Site 2...species richness and biodiversity of reef fish were similar to site 1

Site 3...unusually high number of fish. There are more species of fish on this site

reef was in good condition for the most part in terms of percentage live coral cover and diversity of reef benthos including coral species. This assessment only provided the present status of the eastern coral reef of Medhufaru.

school of pilot whales (Globicephala) was also encountered outside the western reef line closer to the Manadhoo Kanduolhi

prime ‎turtle‎ nesting‎ habitat
Old May 28, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Whatever floats your boat, but Im not a fan of rustic chic. And Soneva should have put some indoor bathrooms in this hotel
Old May 28, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by 0bsidian
You often post glowing remarks about Soneva, are you affiliated to them somehow? Because I notice that you offer your clients upgrades and benefits if they book Soneva properties through you. [/IMG]
No, I am not affiliated to Soneva, nor do I have clients (I am not a travel agent).

I am just a "Soneva-junkie" (as well as an Aman junkie). I have published a lot about my experiences with Soneva, which apparently has inspired fellow travelers. Somehow, Soneva has picked this up, and that's how I established some great contacts within the Soneva group. I can offer a free upgrade (confirmed at the time of booking) for future guests at their resorts, but they still need to make the reservation via Soneva, a travel agent or via the internet.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:42 am

You often post glowing remarks about Soneva, are you affiliated to them somehow? Because I notice that you offer your clients upgrades and benefits if they book Soneva properties through you.

Anyway, in general, I am really curious to better understand the appeal of the Soneva design style.

Frankly I think some of their designs err more on the "cheap-looking" than "rustic", but I understand that this is a controversial opinion and ultimately a matter of personal taste.

I just cannot get myself to consider spending Ģ1,000+ per night on something which looks like this...

Completely agree.
Their design is CRAP, period.
Barefoot luxury without luxury. (but the pricing definately is)

Also whats up with those yellow pillows in all of their resorts? Hideous...
Old May 29, 2016, 6:23 am

No, I am not affiliated to Soneva, nor do I have clients (I am not a travel agent).

I am just a "Soneva-junkie" (as well as an Aman junkie). I have published a lot about my experiences with Soneva, which apparently has inspired fellow travelers. Somehow, Soneva has picked this up, and that's how I established some great contacts within the Soneva group. I can offer a free upgrade (confirmed at the time of booking) for future guests at their resorts, but they still need to make the reservation via Soneva, a travel agent or via the internet.
While Soneva does not strike me as being to my taste, let me just say thank you theLuxuryTravelExpert for both sharing your travels and your willingness to help secure upgrades. Very invaluable for those who do fancy Soneva's offerings.

I see no reason for anyone to lambaste you simply for sharing ... that's what we do, here - share thoughts on Luxury properties around the globe.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by aa213bb
While Soneva does not strike me as being to my taste, let me just say thank you theLuxuryTravelExpert for both sharing your travels and your willingness to help secure upgrades. Very invaluable for those who do fancy Soneva's offerings.

I see no reason for anyone to lambaste you simply for sharing ... that's what we do, here - share thoughts on Luxury properties around the globe.
If you are referring to my post, I have most definitely not "lambasted" anyone.

I don't think there is anything wrong in politely asking whether someone is affiliated to a company he is praising.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:32 pm

If you are referring to my post, I have most definitely not "lambasted" anyone.

I don't think there is anything wrong in politely asking whether someone is affiliated to a company he is praising.
I don't feel offended in any way. Everybody has his/her own taste. If you like minimalist design (and have money to burn), you stay at Aman resorts; I you prefer classic luxury, Four Seasons, Rosewood and Mandarin Oriental are your best options; and if you like understated, barefoot luxury, then Six Senses and Soneva are the way to travel. I just hope that those with an opinion about Soneva, actually did stay at a Soneva resort. I do agree one thing though: the photos on the official Soneva Fushi website are disappointing and do reflect in any way the splendid beauty of the island (best beaches in the Maldives without any doubt) and the stunning accommodations.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:37 am

I don't feel offended in any way. Everybody has his/her own taste. If you like minimalist design (and have money to burn), you stay at Aman resorts; I you prefer classic luxury, Four Seasons, Rosewood and Mandarin Oriental are your best options; and if you like understated, barefoot luxury, then Six Senses and Soneva are the way to travel. I just hope that those with an opinion about Soneva, actually did stay at a Soneva resort. I do agree one thing though: the photos on the official Soneva Fushi website are disappointing and do reflect in any way the splendid beauty of the island (best beaches in the Maldives without any doubt) and the stunning accommodations.
Yes ive stayed at Soneva Kiri and I will never ever go there again or recommend it to anyone.
Service was bad, the outside bathrooms are horrible (especially with their mosquito and sandflies plague) and the design of the room is not rustic chic its just old and cheap sold at insane prices (For what you get).

Id rather go to Cheval Blanc, Velaa, One and Only etc etc. Or Aman.
Aman having the worst design of these (atleast in the older places) but top notch service.

Oh and most importantly: Inside Bathrooms with an AC! Wohooo!
Old May 30, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
LTE since you have contacts within the Soneva group...is there an update re Soneva Nisi?

The original designs looked amazing and would be great to have a Soneva on a Greek island (imo better suited as a brand as opposed to Aman).
Old May 30, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
LTE since you have contacts within the Soneva group...is there an update re Soneva Nisi?

The original designs looked amazing and would be great to have a Soneva on a Greek island (imo better suited as a brand as opposed to Aman).
I was informed last year that Soneva Nisi is a project that has been on hold for the past 2 years and that it will not happen in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.