Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phuket & Krabi, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by docmcdreamy
Thanks for the suggestions. Decided not to go to Anantara as it looks like there are only 2 restaurants there and not keen on the idea of being held captive. Prices also really expensive end of Feb..
There should be three restaurants by next year:

- the new Italian place in the former Dee Plee location up the hill
- Dee Plee which has now moved down to the 2nd floor or the main building
- The main restaurant (can't remember the name) on the ground floor of the main building

I don't mind being 'held captive' here for F&B purposes -- Dee Plee is one of my favourite Thai restaurants anywhere. Plus you can always head over to Trisara down the road for a meal.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:25 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Bumping this thread and looking for ideas...

We've been to Phuket twice before and want to do something different. The last time we went there was in September (rainy season) so this time we are going in March and hoping for a better experience. Just as a background, we tried Amanpuri before - beautiful beach but F&B was frightlyfully expensive. We decided to go somewhere cheaper last year but opted for a high category room, so we went to JW Marriott Mai Khao with low expectations - surprisingly good stay and we were in the oceanfront suite which was great. Yes it is not Amanpuri (service not as polished) but the F&B, whilst still expensive, was more affordable and plenty more options. Beach was not bad too. We would go back here by default but looking for other options to try.

For next March we are still looking to stay at two different resorts in Phuket/Krabi area with nice beaches and a reasonable selection of places to eat where we don't have to break the bank all the time. Budget is USD$700-750 a night. Maybe I am in the wrong forum and if so let me know. We have decided to try Rayavadee this time and looking for resort no.2. Amanpuri and Trisara are way beyond budget. RC Phulay Bay is a no-no due to beach. Any other recommendations? I am considering a beach access villa at Anantara Layan in Phuket. Beach looks a bit questionable though during low tide. If anyone has any experience staying in this resort of have any other similar recommendations please let me know. Thank you!
Perhaps this may make Trisara more affordable? https://luxuryescapes.com/au/offer/t...I00000cL8xiQAC I have been told that a good TA should be able to match the offer if they book direct.

We too were looking at Amanpuri or Rosewood, but the real photos of the Rosewood didn't appeal to me nor did the beach.

Had the same feeling about the RC Krabi.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Im trying to organise a transfer from Phuket to Krabi (Rayavadee specifically). Some have suggested transfer by boat, but the prices given to me by Rayavadee is frightfully expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions (perhaps a reliable driver with air conditioning and wifi or a most cost-effective transfer by boat)?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Im trying to organise a transfer from Phuket to Krabi (Rayavadee specifically). Some have suggested transfer by boat, but the prices given to me by Rayavadee is frightfully expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions (perhaps a reliable driver with air conditioning and wifi or a most cost-effective transfer by boat)?
A rental car? Blacklane offers transfer by car.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Yacht would be easiest. Alternative would be one stop via BKK with TG or PG but that’s half a day.

I wouldn’t do it in a vehicle.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I wouldn’t do it in a vehicle.
Why not if I max ask?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Why not if I max ask?
Same reason I don’t visit Hua Hin - I don’t consider 3-4 hours in a vehicle, even a S Class, a leisurely experience on vacation. Even more so in a country where road safety isn’t what I would like for a long drive.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
A rental car? Blacklane offers transfer by car.
We did a day trip from possibly Puri or Trisara many moons ago to Krabi & lunched at RC PhulayBay .
Quite pleasant experience back then just to get off Phuket island since we had already visited numerous times before .
Did not go to
Rayavadee though .

We have had a regular driver since the ‘ 80s ?? And an adult son also drives us now ? ( his wife too , at one point , but her lack of English is / was an issue to put it diplomatically , sense of direction or lack thereof .. ) . Through the years , his vehicles have also been upgraded from medium or smallish sized cars to fanciful SUVs & MPVs accordingly
These have great AC to satisfy my 16 C preference as well as wifi .

If you are at Puri or Trisara , their outsourced drivers / vehicles are ok too ( or they will be pleased to suggest alternatives ) , they are also our alternate if our other driver ( s ) are unavailable , like collecting another fancy customised vehicle from BKK ..

Do feel free to PM me if you have questions ,
docmcdreamy

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 16, 2020 at 4:08 am Reason: Add information
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks everyone for your replies. After my research, I decided it is more practical to travel by car but I would prefer not to drive and would like to pay someone to drive us in a comfortable car. So based on the recommendations, Blacklane is one of the options. Anyone has other companies or drivers they can recommend?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trisara

At Trisara I think about an Ocean View Pool Villa or a Signature Ocean View Pool Suite. Any recommendations?

Last edited by offerendum; Feb 17, 2020 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:43 pm

deleted
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:18 am

At Trisara I think about an Ocean View Pool Villa or a Signature Ocean View Pool Suite. Any recommendations?
I have stayed in various Pool Villas at Trisara and have seen the Signature Suites, which are lovely. I would be happy to stay in any of them. The views are superb from every room, as all face the ocean and are tiered up the hill on 3 levels.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have stayed in various Pool Villas at Trisara and have seen the Signature Suites, which are lovely. I would be happy to stay in any of them. The views are superb from every room, as all face the ocean and are tiered up the hill on 3 levels.
Thanks! I now booked the Signature Ocean View Suite. Only problem is I have to wait till December

At Amanpuri I´m still not sure if I go with the cheapest pavillion, the Garden pool pavillion or a pool pavillion with a (partial) view. First world problems....
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:53 am

Thanks! I now booked the Signature Ocean View Suite. Only problem is I have to wait till December

At Amanpuri I´m still not sure if I go with the cheapest pavillion, the Garden pool pavillion or a pool pavillion with a (partial) view. First world problems....
At Amanpuri, if you book an entry-level pavilion, you could find yourself at the top of several flights of steps, with a view of bamboo stalks. At least the pool pavilions are lower down.
offerendum and BESVISOR like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:43 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Side note: Nicolas from Amanjena is moving to Amanpuri in April so I'm finally looking to go visit Puri

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.