Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Bali?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:09 pm

Think by now is official, so can be discussed here publicly... Astrid KILLIAN is back in the game, back in Asia and has taken the reins at Soori Bali and will no doubt turn this boutique hotel into a serious contender! I had not heard of this property but now it is already firmly on my list for our next trip to Bali!
FlyerEC and chinmoylad like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by scented
Think by now is official, so can be discussed here publicly... Astrid KILLIAN is back in the game, back in Asia and has taken the reins at Soori Bali and will no doubt turn this boutique hotel into a serious contender! I had not heard of this property but now it is already firmly on my list for our next trip to Bali!
I'm not familiar with her. Can you fill us in a bit?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm not familiar with her. Can you fill us in a bit?
Astrid is ex AMANs , last at Jena .. Ruya , Sara & few others
One of the seasoned “ old “ GMs

Hoping to fit Bali in this month or September 🤞🏻 with stays at 3 hotels including the AMANs - KILA & Nusa Dua Villas and Soori
SanDiego1K and scented like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Are there any obvious towns/resorts to avoid if we want to combine Ubud with some beach to relax? E.g. are Seminyak/Canggu going to be full of loud party-goers and we should do Nusa Dua instead? (Or if the answer to every question is just "Amankila" then I'll see myself out )
In June, Seminyak was busy but not anywhere pre-pandemic levels. There are some nice hotels on the beach in Seminyak, including The Legian. The beach in Seminyak is nice for walking up and down but not much else.

Canggu has apparently been party central since the pandemic began. It has a more laid back, surfer vibe. It was really hopping when I went to dinner one night, although I wouldn't say it was full of obnoxious party-goers. In that regard, avoid Kuta and you will probably be fine.

As an alternative to Nusa Dua, you might want to look into Sanur or even the Alila Manggis next to Amankila, which was also designed by Kerry Hill but is not really a luxury hotel.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Astrid is ex AMANs , last at Jena .. Ruya , Sara & few others
One of the seasoned “ old “ GMs

Hoping to fit Bali in this month or September 🤞🏻 with stays at 3 hotels including the AMANs - KILA & Nusa Dua Villas and Soori
When will Astrid start ?
scented likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by luxedp
When will Astrid start ?
Astrid is already on site
scented likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Are there any obvious towns/resorts to avoid if we want to combine Ubud with some beach to relax? E.g. are Seminyak/Canggu going to be full of loud party-goers and we should do Nusa Dua instead? (Or if the answer to every question is just "Amankila" then I'll see myself out )
Looks like this might answer my question.
scented likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Some more info on Soori Bali from LHW.com

I found this to be interesting reading on Astrid's new property. A lot of familiar Aman-like notes there and I can see why she was interested in it.
scented likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
There wasn't too much info, so thought I'd share my experiences from this past week. Wrapped up a stay at Ritz Carlton Nusa Dua, Mandapa, and Bulgari.

Ritz Carlton Nusa Dua: Booked a Sky Villa 1 bedroom. Room was excellent and well kept. Service was generally on point. We had some issues, and the beach villa dining spots were all booked most nights, but a little proactive planning helped to solve that for future nights. The breakfast is the star of the show, a great spread and attentive service. Kids club was also a hit with my child. This was our first stop to get over the jet lag and it was exactly what was needed. The hotel was at about 50-60% capacity, and some of the units are undergoing maintenance, so all the buildings aren't fully operational. But the spa was great as was the vitality jet pool. Monkeys are present for sure and we watched as people who thought they were going to have a nice breakfast outdoors were surprised by their patio guests. Overall a solid stay and for the price point very good. We did a private seafood bbq dinner and had a great time. After dinner they also setup a nice lounge area with a small bonfire for smores and relaxing. A nice touch.

Mandapa: 5 star fantastic stay. Service was on point everywhere. From the coordinated activities, to the amazing spa, and the delicious food. The staff and service were the best of the best. I did opt for the riverfront villa and on a return stay would forgo it, primarily because of the occasional noise from the rafters, but also because I think the view from the suite level would be much better. That being said the seclusion and privacy was great. Wandering around the villa "street" was just a beautiful thing to do. The view from the lobby is breathtaking. I was a bit concerned as the few reviews that are out there on Mandapa are from a few years ago but if they were impacted by the pandemic you wouldn't know it. I was torn between Amandari, Four Seasons, or Mandapa initially, but based on our experience would absolutely go back to Mandapa without a second thought.

Bulgari: The only spot from my list that I would hesitate on going back to. The property is beautiful, every corner of this place is instagram heaven for those that want that. It is just a great place to BE. The villas are well appointed and all have ocean views essentially, and we had a premier ocean view (non-cliff) and thought the view was excellent. I think the challenge here is that they are currently understaffed it seems. They were certainly not running at capacity, but even for being 50-60% booked they seemed understaffed. Their butler line on Whatsapp goes to a general office where requests are dispatched to butlers who are seemingly managing wayy too many villas apiece. Our evening butler was amazing, morning not so much. The staff that are there do their very best and you can tell they are being taxed, but I just don't know I would spend the money to come back any time soon. That being said, the beach club and elevator down to the beach was amazing. The privacy and exclusiveness was fantastic, almost Maldives like (at least at current occupancy). One afternoon we had the entire beach to ourselves. We did the tasting menu at Il Ristorante and it was fantastic. The food was delicious and the breakfast was mostly a la carte but of high quality. Not much to do either through the resort or generally in Uluwatu, so it was perfect for a 2-3 day stay. We weren't huge fans of the spa services received, but I have to say the spa treatment room just might be the best spa room view I've ever seen in my life. A framed cobblestone open window that looks out onto the ocean off a cliff. Sublime.

I originally considered Alila a few doors down, but cancelled that after hearing about the wedding issue. I used Golden bird for airport/hotel transfers and had no issues. If you are going far distances the Toyota Alphard is the car you want. Business class minivan! From the majority of people I talked to, most stated the Aman properties were not kept well and quite old. I don't have first hand knowledge, but the negative reviews I've read swayed me to skip them this time around. Perhaps on another trip with more solid trip reviews, plus I had my kid with me so that certainly swayed where I stayed in terms of available services.

Bali is prepping for the G20 in October, so there is a lot of construction going on around the entire country, especially in Nusa Dua where it takes place. We had a fantastic time and they are very happy for tourists to return that is for sure.
SanDiego1K and obscure2k like this.

Last edited by lagunas2k; Aug 15, 2022 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
I see that Ritz Carlton and St. Regis are pretty close to each other down on the beach, but the beach curves and I'm wondering if that materially impacts waves, seaweed, etc.

I've had a friend recently stay at the RC down there and said it was unpleasant - lots of seaweed and very long beach shelf so really awkward at low tide. I've got 5 nights coming up at Mandapa in Ubud but want to experience a beach - but I really cannot figure out where a really good beach would be. Any advice? My partner and I like laying on the beach and getting in the water - but not swimming far out and we do not snorkel. More like enjoying gentle waves.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Staying longer would obviously be more ideal () but I think Amankila is definitely great enough of a hotel to go out of one's way, even for two nights. It's a very special place, as FlyerEC mentioned

Alternatively, being in Ubud for 5 days is frankly not a bad idea. Ubud is essentially in the centre of Bali, so many interesting sights are within better reach when in Ubud compared to other areas in the south. Ubud is one of those places that unquestionably feels like Bali, and definitely not to be missed.
I'm staying 5 nights in Ubud at the Mandapa and struggling to figure out where to spend another 2 or 3 nights. I considered St. Regis or the Ritz Carlton down in Nusa Dua but a friend gave a bad trip report on the Nusa Dua beach conditions at the RC. Are there other/better beaches that I should consider? Kila looks interesting but unclear on what the beach and is like and what the water is like there for getting in the ocean. If it helps, I like "wave pool" like beaches - gentle kind of beaches that are easy to bob up and down in without snorkling.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I really should have done a TR on my recent stay (May-June) at both of the 4S properties on Bali.

I know it is not THE best but both Four Season properties were gorgeous when I was there recently. I did have a premier Panoramic Ocean View Villa at Jimbaran Bay which was really nice and certainly added to it. Sunsets were lovely from my pool deck. My Villa at Sayan was lovely, as was all the hard product. The service was at times just bad. Most of the time you are fine but they can really drop the ball on some very basic stuff. Still Sayan is so beautiful of course at J bay it is all about the ocean. My Villa was in the very front row so I had absolutely nothing in my getting in the way of a perfect view. I really enjoyed Sundara down on the beach quite a bit. Really good food coming out of that kitchen. They are right next door to the most famous fish market on the island so the seafood here can't get any fresher unless you caught it yourself and you can tell. I have zero complaints about Jimbaran Bay. The food was even noticeably better as well. Not sure how the same hamburger I had at Sayan for lunch was not nearly as good as that exact same menu item at J Bay. I had about as close to a flawless stay as I have ever had there. The newly (during Covid they closed it) renovated spa at Jimbaran Bay is really nice and they expanded it as well. It is gorgeous architecturally (heavy Japanese influence). I just loved the look of this spa and I love a good over the top luxury spa.

J Bay was so good it made my stay immediately before it (I did their twice the magic package and stayed at both 4S on Bali) at 4S Sayan all the more puzzling. I can't give anything other than 5 stars to my stay at Jimbaran Bay though. These resorts were both only running about 1/2 normal capacity at the time too. If Sayan can fix the service flaws their scenery, landscaping, the river and building elements all should make Sayan a property everyone looking at luxury on Bali one to consider.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
We didn't really go in the beach at the RC. It was our "jet lag recovery" hotel, but we did enjoy the view. The sand was pretty course and there is a lot of seaweed in the beach, but they do a great job cleaning it up everyday.

If you want to lay by the beach, I think Bulgari in Uluwatu can't be beat. I know I docked it because of the service imperfections, but their beach is amazing. The sand is very soft, but it is not truly swimmable. There is a strong current and lots of coral/rock/tide pools. But there are little pockets you can dip your toes in, sit in, and lay in if that's your thing. Plus the services of the beach club attendant for snacks and drinks. They also have a restroom and shower at the beach club. Which is only for guests, so it is very secluded and private. If you were doing Mandapa and then wanted to chill out a few days before leaving, Bulgari was quite nice for that. That's what we did. There isn't much to do, so most of the folks we talked to at the resort simply hung out in the villas or at the beach. They can arrange a surf excursion close by if you want to really swim/surf.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:11 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
We didn't really go in the beach at the RC. It was our "jet lag recovery" hotel, but we did enjoy the view. The sand was pretty course and there is a lot of seaweed in the beach, but they do a great job cleaning it up everyday.
Did you not visit the Club Lounge Villa or was it not in operation?

We found the Breakfast and five presentations a day there a much nicer experience than normal breakfast with higher quality and cooked to order items.

I wouldn't go to the RC for the beach. You really want a private pool.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:27 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I've visited before (my colleague has stayed). It's an impressive property, and worked with them before too pre-Astrid.
I've often likened to it the western part of Bali and more contemporary counterpart of Amankila in terms of overall style - e.g. it's a peaceful retreat with a lovely (nearly private) beachfront in a more secluded/quieter area of Bali. So either Soori or Amankila are great ways to finish a Bali trip.
Mind that the beach/water is not quite as swimmable as it is at Amankila.

It was a former Alila Villas property - but in terms of marketing/PR kept getting usurped by Uluwatu; and I think personally it's always been a far more impressive property especially given Uluwatu's other issues.

It doesn't quite have the same charm of Amankila though, and it does have its quirks (both postiive and not so positive), but overall still a really, really wonderful property and I'm sure Astrid being there will make it even better. The review is on my site somewhere (and video on my YouTube of course). I think my site visit is also somewhere in this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.