Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by wripro
Cape Grace.
Cape Grace is closed until December…
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Sorry, wasn't aware.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:26 pm

We are staying at the Cape Cadogan hotel for a few nights on an upcoming trip. Reviews appear to be quite positive. It is part of a small South African collection of properties that includes several safari lodges.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Buster
Hi everyone! We are set to go to Cape Town in a few weeks, and have just been informed by our travel agent that the hotel (Camissa House) we had booked suffered water damage and will not be open for our stay.

They have offered us 21 Nettleman, but we don't love the look of the room we've been offered. Ellerman appears to be sold out. We like the look of Labotessa, but aren't sure of staying downtown. We don't love the look of Silo.

Any recommendations? This has me quite flustered, so any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
My husband and I were booked for the Labotessa a couple a months ago. I unfortunately was unable to go due to a last-minute travel snag, so he went with other family members who stayed in another suite. We've been to CPT a number of times and also thought we'd try something new in Labotessa.

He said the decor was nice and the gentlemen running the establishment also were very dedicated and helpful. Some rooms are definitely better than others. The one he was in had ample light, but the other one on the floor where other family stayed was quite dark.

The area is definitely totally different from the waterfront, and he preferred the waterfront area for the perceived safety, nearby shopping opportunities, restaurants and convenience. He thought Labotessa was fine if you are coming in from the airport or leaving, and need a place to stay for a night.

He also stayed at Silo this time, and he and my other family members were blown away by it, saying that the decor somehow worked. And they loved having access to the museum.

I'll be interested to hear WandertheWorld's review of Cape Cadogan. We nearly stayed there, and it looks especially lovely after their recent renovation.
WandertheWorld likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Buster
Hi everyone! We are set to go to Cape Town in a few weeks, and have just been informed by our travel agent that the hotel (Camissa House) we had booked suffered water damage and will not be open for our stay.

They have offered us 21 Nettleman, but we don't love the look of the room we've been offered. Ellerman appears to be sold out. We like the look of Labotessa, but aren't sure of staying downtown. We don't love the look of Silo.

Any recommendations? This has me quite flustered, so any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
We stayed at the Belmond Mount Nelson during our stay a few years back and loved it.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
We stayed at the Belmond Mount Nelson during our stay a few years back and loved it.
I stayed there too on my last visit and while I thought it was nice and reasonably priced, it seemed definitely past its prime.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Still think Ellerman House the absolute best. Nothing can compare IMHO. Beautiful location, great service, good food and just the best!
smichelm likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Larkin
Still think Ellerman House the absolute best. Nothing can compare IMHO. Beautiful location, great service, good food and just the best!
100% agree. But it's really, really difficult to get a Suite room there (the entry level rooms are too cramped for us), even trying to book a year out.

The Silo is a steep drop off from Ellerman House, but it's our fallback option when we're in Cape Town. It has its quirks, but is decent and has far better views of the surrounding area than Cape Grace does.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
100% agree. But it's really, really difficult to get a Suite room there (the entry level rooms are too cramped for us), even trying to book a year out.

The Silo is a steep drop off from Ellerman House, but it's our fallback option when we're in Cape Town. It has its quirks, but is decent and has far better views of the surrounding area than Cape Grace does.
The only room available at Ellerman given the late notice was the smallest room, and it didn't look very nice to us. We're staying at Labotessa - will report how it was when we're back.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Looking at a 2024 stopover - any current feedback from the O&O? Silo seems a bit too industrial, yet open to other recommendations. Ellerman is booked already.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Explora Trailblazer, Belmond Bellini
Just stayed in labotessa for two nights and personally I think it is a great option if you are doing a short stay. The nearby area is definitely much more quieter in the night time compared to the waterfront but they only have six rooms here and even the base room I was staying was extremely spacious, approximately 65 square meters. The ascetics of the hotel was very European and reminds me of Amsterdam a lot. The breakfast is very high quality here and the concierge team actually helped me secure a reservation in the Fyn restaurant across the street from the hotel.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by jiaotze
My husband and I were booked for the Labotessa a couple a months ago. I unfortunately was unable to go due to a last-minute travel snag, so he went with other family members who stayed in another suite. We've been to CPT a number of times and also thought we'd try something new in Labotessa.

He said the decor was nice and the gentlemen running the establishment also were very dedicated and helpful. Some rooms are definitely better than others. The one he was in had ample light, but the other one on the floor where other family stayed was quite dark.

The area is definitely totally different from the waterfront, and he preferred the waterfront area for the perceived safety, nearby shopping opportunities, restaurants and convenience. He thought Labotessa was fine if you are coming in from the airport or leaving, and need a place to stay for a night.

He also stayed at Silo this time, and he and my other family members were blown away by it, saying that the decor somehow worked. And they loved having access to the museum.

I'll be interested to hear WandertheWorld's review of Cape Cadogan. We nearly stayed there, and it looks especially lovely after their recent renovation.
We just completed our stay at Cape Cadogan and I can generally recommend this property. We stayed in the highest category of room. I say “generally” because of the noise factor. Our first room, 20, looked directly onto the street. While the hotels location a stone’s throw from Kloof Street in the Gardens district was very convenient and seemed quite safe it also meant noise from busy Klooof drifted towards the hotel. Not a problem in the public spaces but for sleeping we had to be moved to room 17, an interior facing corner. It was a better room IMO and quieter.
jiaotze likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:25 am

We are at the Ellerman House now. While I appreciate what many on the board say about this property—-stunning views and wonderful service—-sadly I am a bit disappointed. I know others may not agree, but our room, a deluxe house, is merely okay. We only have a partial ocean view which I did not expect when I booked nearly a year ago. I discussed with the house manager, and it remains to be seen if any accommodation can be made as the hotel is fully booked tonight. We are here for a few days so we shall see if anything can be done. I have to say the rooms are a bit tired too. At 2200 USD per night I was hoping for a more deluxe feel to the rooms and certainly the same stunning view as can be had in the public spaces. The artwork through out does make for a truly unique experience but overall, at least for the moment, this hotel does not even rank in my top 5. We shall see if they redeem themselves..

I might add then when we booked in March 23 we went to the trouble of indicating that we are celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary on this trip and hoped for the best possible deluxe house room. So much for them listening.
jiaotze and Misshoneyb like this.

Last edited by WandertheWorld; Mar 24, 2024 at 6:32 am
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:19 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by WandertheWorld
We are at the Ellerman House now. While I appreciate what many on the board say about this property—-stunning views and wonderful service—-sadly I am a bit disappointed. I know others may not agree, but our room, a deluxe house, is merely okay. We only have a partial ocean view which I did not expect when I booked nearly a year ago. I discussed with the house manager, and it remains to be seen if any accommodation can be made as the hotel is fully booked tonight. We are here for a few days so we shall see if anything can be done. I have to say the rooms are a bit tired too. At 2200 USD per night I was hoping for a more deluxe feel to the rooms and certainly the same stunning view as can be had in the public spaces. The artwork through out does make for a truly unique experience but overall, at least for the moment, this hotel does not even rank in my top 5. We shall see if they redeem themselves..

I might add then when we booked in March 23 we went to the trouble of indicating that we are celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary on this trip and hoped for the best possible deluxe house room. So much for them listening.
I have come to love Ellerman House after a few stays, but it is not perfect and I agree with you the rooms leave quite a bit to be desired at their price point especially in high season. The bathrooms I find to be pretty disappointing, feeling more like something out of a generic business hotel. You are paying for the view, grounds, staff and service, but sounds like they even failed you on the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.