Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Better choice than Como Shambhala Estate for relaxing vacation within 5 hrs from HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better choice than Como Shambhala Estate for relaxing vacation within 5 hrs from HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AsiaMiles

Hello travel experts,

I have been scratching my head on a question that I think this forum would be best able to help with.

We are looking to take a relaxing vacation in about a month. Our criteria are below, and right now, I can't think of a better option than Como Shambhala Estate in Bali. Do any other suggestions come to mind?

- Within ~5 hrs flight of HKG
- Does not require non-pressurised cabin flights (avoiding due to pregnancy)
- Primarily looking to relax and lounge around, or do light-intensity activities
- Beautiful beach that's conducive to swimming and snorkelling would be wonderful. Beautiful forest scenery also good (i.e., what CSE offers)
- We like a luxury boutique, "cosy" feel - i.e., not too many rooms / guests. We like rustic luxury that blends in with the environment more than say modern, splashy, large-scale luxury
- Time frame: 5-8 nights in about 1 month's time, end Nov / early Dec

Right now, we'd be able to stay at CSE for ~USD1000 per night tax, service charge, all meals, spa treatments and lots of activities - i.e., that is an all-inclusive price. Is there a better deal than this we could get at any place that fits above criteria?

The Amanpuri, which we've loved, would meet the above criteria but cost would be much higher than CSE on all-inclusive basis.

Many thanks in advance for what I anticipate to be great advice!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman bali break / bali experience with 4th night free during low season brings rates down a lot

several fans of como shambhala estate here, and they are all amanjunkies
if any of the residences are empty at como shambhala estate, great accommodations
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aman bali break / bali experience with 4th night free during low season brings rates down a lot

several fans of como shambhala estate here, and they are all amanjunkies
if any of the residences are empty at como shambhala estate, great accommodations
Aman Bali Experience +1

CSE has no beach

Kila has boats , been on a few times - a cruise with snorkelling
Sometimes possible get the boat to oneself if no one signs up for the complimentary activities .
Sandra W is there & can work something out for you . Amanjunkies have been well taken care of . :-: :-:
Mark S will add sparkle
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:55 pm

If a beach is important, Bali is not the best in Nov/Dec. It will be rainy, and the ocean can be quite unsafe for swimming. Water also tends to be murky, so very poor visibility for snorkeling. I've also noticed beaches are also dirtier with more debris in the wet season.

I'm struggling to think of a resort that can offer as much as CSE for that price. Otherwise, I'd agree about trying out the Amans in Bali- especially Amankila. You might not get to do much swimming in the ocean, but the beaches are beautiful and staff do their best to keep it clean of trash.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:28 pm

Amano'i !!
Within a national park , not quite a forest but sort of Mediterranean vegetation .
Spectacular scenery with 2 amazing pools & a few " private " beaches for swimming & I was told snorkelling but didn't have time to try .
If you get a pool pavilion , likely another with a view ' to die for ' .

Sean F & team will take the usual Aman care we have been accustomed to .

I ' m trying to return to more and / or some I haven't been to before the ethos changes ( more )
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: Virtuoso,TravelLeadersSelect, RitzStars, 4Seasons,FanClub, Penclub, BelliniClub, RosewoodElite

As mentioned by someone above, COMO Shambala Estates is a good hour away from the ocean and is inland in Ubud. AMAN properties are amazing but extremely expensive.... Definitely more than CSE's all-inclusive rates you listed. For a great experience beachside at lower costs, you may want to book with a Virtuoso-affiliated travel advisor (I am one but feel free to go to anyone you know) so you can get upgrades, breakfast, resort credit, etc - some alternate properties are Anantara Uluwatu, Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay, Ritz-Carlton Bali. All are beachside in the southern part of Bali.

If you're open to catching another short flight from Bali, the neighboring island of Lombok offers a much cheaper and more relaxed alternative. Oberoi Lombok and Kunci Villas are awesome with amazing beach views.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aman : low season + Exclusive + 4th nt free = dirt cheap

Originally Posted by biebster
Beautiful forest scenery also good (i.e., what CSE offers)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: CX DM
We did Aman Bali & Beyond (Nusa, Wana, Dari, Kila) around that time last year and were fortunate to have great weather for the entire trip, with the exception of torrential rain on the day of departure (we were also out of HKG, and pregnant...). I wouldn't do 4 properties in your timeframe but maybe two on Bali?

Personally if I were going to do one resort I would do Pulo (and indeed we are heading there in a few weeks) but I assume you may have ruled that out based on your plane comment? Amanoi is stunning and a great idea as previously mentioned. Sean F was recently telling us of some new activities/excursions he has been working on; they sound great (e.g. dinner at a local's house, a la Pak Bilal's house at 'Jiwo..)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:23 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
My personal choice in similar situation to you was http://www.templetree.com.my/ in Langkawi. Alternative was Hanging Gardens Ubud. Temple Tree is quite different and the kind of luxury where there are holes in the floor & walls of the building (which is impeccably maintained). Great food and wine (better than CSE) but a whole different scale and approach to luxury. Its my "roughing it" choice though cost was $1000/day at last stay so no cheaper, just different. And worth it, but you make of it what you will, or what you are able.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:24 am

Just thinking that Amankila is not great, given all those steps, when you're pregnant. Equally, COMO Shambhala has quite a few steep climbs, especially to the spa, although the food there is superb.

How about The Chedi Tanah Gajah in Ubud - all on one level, small, beautiful, relaxing and with amazing food from Chef Dean.

Rainy season, of course, so not perfect.

Amanpulo is under 5 hours from HKG via Cathay, but probably too expensive.

Phuket - Point Yamu by COMO, Trisara, The Boat House?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I can give another vote for the Chedi. What a marvelous property that is exceptionally priced, given all the inclusives (laundry everyday, minibar, etc.). The food was fantastic and the room, while somewhat "rustic-styled" was A+.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dont do chedi/etc when aman bali has expiring 4th nt free in low season

for that matter, same argument says to do CSE later rather than now
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Just thinking that Amankila is not great, given all those steps, when you're pregnant. Equally, COMO Shambhala has quite a few steep climbs, especially to the spa, although the food there is superb.

How about The Chedi Tanah Gajah in Ubud - all on one level, small, beautiful, relaxing and with amazing food from Chef Dean.

Rainy season, of course, so not perfect.

Amanpulo is under 5 hours from HKG via Cathay, but probably too expensive.

Phuket - Point Yamu by COMO, Trisara, The Boat House?
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dont do chedi/etc when aman bali has expiring 4th nt free in low season

for that matter, same argument says to do CSE later rather than now
At Kila , their " buggy " can be used to avoid steps ; well used when I had a foot / leg injury before arrival so it was really a life saver .
Also by octogenarian parents

Nusa has a nice beach . :-:

Best to just enjoy the Kila & Nusa beach bales though :-:

Trisara "beach " is poor , very ' corally '
Pt Yamu has no beach until you get to their island by boat
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
How about The Chedi Tanah Gajah in Ubud - all on one level, small, beautiful, relaxing and with amazing food from Chef Dean
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I can give another vote for the Chedi. What a marvelous property that is exceptionally priced, given all the inclusives (laundry everyday, minibar, etc.). The food was fantastic and the room, while somewhat "rustic-styled" was A+.
Another vote for Chedi. We, at almost quite literally the last minute, diverted and ended up spending three nights there after learning how bad the smoke would be in Singapore. Did this from the Concorde room a mere hour before our flight left for Changi.

And thank goodness; we had a fantastic stay, which was utterly relaxing. And our timing was rather fortuitous, as we had perfect weather, and the rice crop was just being harvested ... so, lush, tall, and vibrant.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
At Kila , their " buggy " can be used to avoid steps ; well used when I had a foot / leg injury before arrival so it was really a life saver .
Also by octogenarian parents

Nusa has a nice beach . :-:

Best to just enjoy the Kila & Nusa beach bales though :-:

Trisara "beach " is poor , very ' corally '
Pt Yamu has no beach until you get to their island by boat
Yes, I know you can get a buggy at Kila, but it does mean you have to be driven everywhere, which is not great, especially if there is a better choice. Nusa has the best beach, I think, but the villas are mostly reached via steep steps, so a similar problem.

Trisara's beach is not as poor as many people suggest, especially if you just want to lounge on it - it is a beautiful setting. If you want to swim, there's always the platform that juts into the sea. Agree about Point Yamu, but it's still a nice experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.