Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:26 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by cjthekid
Hi All,

I've been following this thread (and all the others about luxury Japan [for years... really,]) and we're starting our planning for a July trip this summer. We're 2 families with small children 2yrs & 5yrs traveling for my sister's 40th bday. Based on all I've read here's what we're thinking about so far:

4 Nights Tokyo Aman
2 Nights Hakone - Hyatt or Gora Kadan
4 Nights Kyoto RC
4 Nights Amanemu
2 Nights Osaka StR

My biggest question is around Hakone, we'd like to do some hiking around Mt Fuji so Hakone seemed like the best place to do that. There's so much negativity around Gora Kadan but the Hyatt seems fairly corporate and lacking luxury. If you knew all of the negatives going into GK (the smell, the food.. etc.) and had reasonable expectations would it still have been as bad? It's also a uniquely Japanese experience. We're traveling with vegetarians (i understand they will accommodate food requests in advance.) and children (they are reportedly family friendly.) It just seems like a more interesting experience (and I think i'd prefer rolling the dice with GK rather than knowing HR will be mediocre.) Or do we scrap Hakone and pick somewhere else?

I open to suggestions on timing if we're spending too little or too much in some places. It's an ambitious trip, I know, especially with littles, but we are up for it (I think.) We are aware of the heat and possible rain, but we've got both in NYC and would rather be traveling.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Awesome itinerary! We were just at Aman Tokyo again this July

I'd also suggest the FS Kyoto over the RC...This is a great RC but the FS is fabulous. RC's location is a bit better, though, getting around Kyoto is easy.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
Thanks for the insight. It's our first time, outside of Tokyo, for most of us. Osaka is really more of a move after Amanemu (Which we are fairly set on.) We were planning on flying out of Osaka connecting in Tokyo for our flight home. We're open to considering alternates to Hakone, but it seemed the most convenient with luxury options. We'll be there early July.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Amanemu (Which we are fairly set on.)
If we can ask, why are you set on Amanemu? Are you really big spa/relaxation types who will enjoy 4 nights in a spa? If so, that does make perfect sense.

If not, then I similarly question whether you are making the best choice. Amanemu is nothing more than a destination Aman version of a ryokan with nothing around it really. It's intended to serve the market for wealthy Tokyoites and Osakaites and Kyotoites (and others around Japan) who want to enjoy an Aman version of the ryokan experience (and as a destination for weddings).

We were planning on flying out of Osaka connecting in Tokyo for our flight home.
I wouldn't stay more than a night or two in Osaka, unless you're a big fan of street food or want to visit something else particular to Osaka. We just were there and enjoyed our 3 nights...but we could have done it in 2 nights.

That being said, we most enjoyed the service and food/beverage of the StR Osaka. If you prefer a more modern hard product (and a lobby view even more impressive than that of the Aman Tokyo), then you may also consider the Conrad Osaka. (But the Conrad is not nearly as good on service or food/beverage.)

All that being said, we spent a week in Kyoto--and could have stayed longer. And we are people who rarely stay longer than 3-4 nights ANYWHERE. We did 5 nights at Suiran (a ryokan/hotel hybrid) and 2 nights at the RC Kyoto. If you really want a more proper ryokan style stay, then perhaps you might swap Amanemu for either Suiran or even the more ryokan based Hoshinoya Kyoto--both are on the opposite side of bustling Kyoto from the RC Kyoto, and will give you a great opportunity to explore more of that incredible city and surrounding areas.

As it turned out, we vastly preferred the Arashiyama side of Kyoto (where Suiran and Hoshinoya are located) over the busier and more touristy side where the RC and FS are located.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If we can ask, why are you set on Amanemu? Are you really big spa/relaxation types who will enjoy 4 nights in a spa? If so, that does make perfect sense.
We figured after all the running around above, it might be nice to have a couple of days to relax. The Villas are also ideal for us, since we can get two master rooms and a connecting living space for the kids.

I wouldn't stay more than a night or two in Osaka, unless you're a big fan of street food or want to visit something else particular to Osaka. We just were there and enjoyed our 3 nights...but we could have done it in 2 nights.
We're doing 2 nights. And i would love to do a street food tour there... it looks amazing.

I don't think we're looking for more traditional Ryokans (outside of maybe 1 or 2 nights at Gora Kadan.) We're traveling with kids, vegetarians (and one non-seafood eater... i know, i know it's going to be interesting.)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We figured after all the running around above, it might be nice to have a couple of days to relax. The Villas are also ideal for us, since we can get two master rooms and a connecting living space for the kids.

We're doing 2 nights. And i would love to do a street food tour there... it looks amazing.

I don't think we're looking for more traditional Ryokans (outside of maybe 1 or 2 nights at Gora Kadan.) We're traveling with kids, vegetarians (and one non-seafood eater... i know, i know it's going to be interesting.)
Our trip in November is similar to yours but no Osaka

4 Nights Tokyo Aman
4 Nights Kyoto RC
4 Nights Amanemu
2 Nights Osaka StR

Will let you know in November / December

Wanted to try Suiran but it is full our November dates
Will be returning to Nemu for the 3rd time in 2 years . Lovely area to either relax or explore

Decided on Hyatt as seems best around there & you likely have read about horror stays at Gora Kadan

Feel free to pm me
Jermyn likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:03 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Decided on Hyatt as seems best around there & you likely have read about horror stays at Gora Kadan
We've been to dozens of onsen ryokans over the years, including multiple stays at Gora Kadan (most recently this past December.)

Gora Kadan is stellar. Great hard product, amazing food and warm and prompt service.

My guess is that most complaints about Gora Kadan has more to do with the onsen ryokan experience in general, rather than the property itself. It's not for everyone.

It's definitely up my alley, though!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: CX DM

Given you're traveling with small kids you will have no problem filling the time in Osaka- there are lots of excellent kids' diversions there (PM me if you want more detail of things we have done with ours). and the littles ones love the street food too.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn

4 Nights Tokyo Aman
4 Nights Kyoto RC
4 Nights Amanemu
2 Nights Osaka StR

Wanted to try Suiran but it is full our November dates
Will be returning to Nemu for the 3rd time in 2 years . Lovely area to either relax or explore

Feel free to pm me
We spent 5 nights at the RC Kyoto last November and loved it so much that we intend to repeat the experience next year.
Like bhrubin, we initially had some real problems with the concierge but were compensated more than adequately and were very well looked after during our stay.

Having spent time in Kyoto at all times of the year, I have to say that Autumn is my favourite, not only is the foliage spectacular but the seasonal produce is probably the most varied and interesting. Of all the restaurants we tried, Gion Nishikawa was our favourite, with Monk being possibly the biggest surprise standout (particularly since it is not really Japanese food in the traditional sense). If you're interested in either make sure you ask the RC concierge to reserve them well in advance!
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jermyn
We spent 5 nights at the RC Kyoto last November and loved it so much that we intend to repeat the experience next year.
Like bhrubin, we initially had some real problems with the concierge but were compensated more than adequately and were very well looked after during our stay.

Having spent time in Kyoto at all times of the year, I have to say that Autumn is my favourite, not only is the foliage spectacular but the seasonal produce is probably the most varied and interesting. Of all the restaurants we tried, Gion Nishikawa was our favourite, with Monk being possibly the biggest surprise standout (particularly since it is not really Japanese food in the traditional sense). If you're interested in either make sure you ask the RC concierge to reserve them well in advance!
Autumn in Japan is spectacular. The weather cools down enough to walk comfortably and skies are blue. Can't get enough of the temples in full red foliage.
FlyerEC, bhrubin and Jermyn like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:09 am

Excellent! I look forward to hearing about your trip. I'm curious how you're planning all the transfers. So far we're thinking.

Car from Tokyo to Hakone,
Train from Hakone to Kyoto
Car from Kyoto to Amanemu
Train from Amanemu to Osaka

Originally Posted by Altocumulus
Given you're traveling with small kids you will have no problem filling the time in Osaka- there are lots of excellent kids' diversions there (PM me if you want more detail of things we have done with ours). and the littles ones love the street food too.
I definitely will. Thank you.

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We've been to dozens of onsen ryokans over the years, including multiple stays at Gora Kadan (most recently this past December.)

Gora Kadan is stellar. Great hard product, amazing food and warm and prompt service.

My guess is that most complaints about Gora Kadan has more to do with the onsen ryokan experience in general, rather than the property itself. It's not for everyone.

It's definitely up my alley, though!
I'm guessing that too... and knowing in advance the limitations... and that we may not like it takes the sting out if we do. And i would rather swing and miss on something like that and at least have the experience.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Excellent! I look forward to hearing about your trip. I'm curious how you're planning all the transfers. So far we're thinking.

I'm guessing that too... and knowing in advance the limitations... and that we may not like it takes the sting out if we do. And i would rather swing and miss on something like that and at least have the experience.
You'll probably need to drive or get a ride to Odawara station for the Shinkansen.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

We now have a regular “ chauffeur “ who speaks English ! Happen to use him on a trip last year after having to do charades with a couple who did not . Really relieved . We travel in a MPV that has ample space
( We did the Shinkansen early ‘ 90s but do not train any more )
He also suggests local favourites , etcetera ..

Think have a TR or 2 / or updates on our Nemu & RC Kyoto stays ..

He did suggest Gora Kadan too but also had some caveats . Hoping to try Suiran on another visit
Am also planning to return when “ AmanKyoto “ opens

Feel free to pm me for more details .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 19, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:27 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really like the train ride from Gora to Hakeone Yumoto. It is on a slow old, mostly single track, train line that is over 100 years old. From Hakone Yumoto to Odawra, where you get the shinkansen, is about a 20 minute ride on a standard train and transfer is easy. It's all included in the "Hakone free pass" (which isn't free) available from Odakyu train lines. This pass includes almost every form of transport you can imagine -- cable cars, fake pirate ships, trains, busses, cog railway, etc. Note that many of these are subject to periodic suspensions during the rainy season.

If you don't want to do that, the Hyatt in Hakone can arrange a shuttle and i presume the same is true for the Gora Kadan.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some regulars here liked the residences at IC osaka

(FS kyoto has apartments, RC has some terrace suites)

ryokan regulars will likely recommend 'somewhere else'

IIRC some here did culture/ocean excursions at amanemu

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 20, 2018 at 6:07 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:56 am

If not, then I similarly question whether you are making the best choice. Amanemu is nothing more than a destination Aman version of a ryokan with nothing around it really. It's intended to serve the market for wealthy Tokyoites and Osakaites and Kyotoites (and others around Japan) who want to enjoy an Aman version of the ryokan experience (and as a destination for weddings).
I agree with this assessment of Amnemu. It is not a priority of mine to stay there any time soon, as if I want a ryokan I know I will be happier with a real one instead of an Aman version.

Aman Tokyo, on the other hand, is a high priority for me now. My favorite sushi chef is opening his new restaurant Musashi by Aman soon. When he is there, I will be able to enjoy dinner at the hotel for days on end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.