Wiki Posts
Search

Virtuoso--Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Virtuoso--Worth it?

Hey all, for decades I've been planning my own trips. Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Mar/SPG Gold so it's been pretty easy to find point stays/good rates.

I am finding, as many others have, that with devaluations and changing categories that the options are becoming more complex and the DIY method may not always be the best option.

I am considering working with a Virtuoso rep. I had an initial conversation with her today and she outlined the program and what she does. It sure sounds good, but I am having a tough time figuring out if it is as good as it sounds or if it is like the Direct Buy stores where you don't quite know what you're getting until you've paid up---and then can be disappointed with the results (no offense to Direct Buy members).

The agent charges $250 per reservation. What do other FTers think about Virtuoso and the value it offers?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:40 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Dcislander
Hey all, for decades I've been planning my own trips. Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Mar/SPG Gold so it's been pretty easy to find point stays/good rates.

I am finding, as many others have, that with devaluations and changing categories that the options are becoming more complex and the DIY method may not always be the best option.

I am considering working with a Virtuoso rep. I had an initial conversation with her today and she outlined the program and what she does. It sure sounds good, but I am having a tough time figuring out if it is as good as it sounds or if it is like the Direct Buy stores where you don't quite know what you're getting until you've paid up---and then can be disappointed with the results (no offense to Direct Buy members).

The agent charges $250 per reservation. What do other FTers think about Virtuoso and the value it offers?
This questions is probably better for the Luxury forum but here's my thoughts:

Not sure who you chatted with but most Virtuoso agents that I've met (and that are active here) tend to not charge anything for the reservation, merely collecting the commission- there are some who stipulate minimum reservation requirements etc...

It's actually not like DirectBuy at all.. if you want to know what the amenities are then go to Virtuoso.com and chose the property- they will list the exact amenities; and the typical upgrade paths. Things I value most through using a travel advisor is free breakfast; however if you are a Hyatt Diamond staying at a Hyatt then this obviously isn't a perk. The amenity is typically worth about $80-100 so obviously is is necessary to see if it's worth booking a Virtuoso rate or a discounted rate like AAA or soemthing. So when it comes to Hyatt I tend to book shorter stays (ie 1 day stays) with Virtuoso; longer with some sort of discounted rate.

Outside of Hyatt since I always book refundable rates, it does tend to be better for me to go with Virtuoso. I've had sucess my agent negotiating upgrades in advance for me which is quite nice. There are also some properties that include an upgrade at booking (PH Washington comes to mind)

I tend to be a pretty independent traveler and find where I want to stay on my own. I reserach room types and rates, but use an advisor to book my trip. There is nothing to lose by using an agent in my mind if they don't charge; however I would not pay $250 a reservation. There are a lot more resources on the Luxury Hotel forum

FDW
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:06 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I for one do not charge fees for simple hotel bookings and do not have a minimum booking amount either. This goes for other TAs primarily on the Luxury Hotels forum.

As a fellow Hyatt Diamond I am intimately familiar with both Hyatt and Virtuoso programs.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks all. Wasn't sure which forum to post on and put here since I try to stay Hyatt and have seen Virtuoso questions/comments before. Mod, please feel free to adjust as you see fit.

Luxury, I'll PM you.

Many thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
TAs can be useful for high end hotels. I'd say Park Hyatt level or above. It can also be useful if you travel outside your chain's footprint or similar.

I've worked with luxury before and had a positive experience.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's worth investigating your property and the amenities but not worth paying $250 for her to do it. Plenty of other agents who do their job well and don't charge silly amounts. Virtuoso is totally worth it for HR Kyoto if you like spaing among others. But, for me Andaz Tokyo wasn't because the $100 F&B credit but more expensive Virtuoso rate didn't beat me just using corp rate and just forking out separately for food.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 25, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, paying $250 seems excessive unless there are some very special circumstances. I wonder whether the fee is just a way to discourage clients that this agent doesn't want.

In fact, except for the recent airline ticketing fees (which I've paid for a few complicated international trips), I don't pay travel agent fees but expect them to be paid by commissions. An exception would be some very complicated arrangements where the travel agent has invested a lot of time researching your trip for you. Usually I know what I want or at least have identified a few hotels of interest and just need to compare rates and benefits. I've always done tourist stuff independently rather than either taking group tours or arranging private tours.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:25 am

There is absolutely no way a TA should be charging $250 for a simple commisionable hotel booking. It would make sense for an agent to charge a fee for services if you were asking the TA to do substantial planning/legwork for you for things that were not commissionable.

My guess is that it was a polite way for the agent say she was not interested in the booking.

Plenty of TAs will do even small bookings for no fees, especially if you already know what you want.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 26, 2015 at 3:37 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:44 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I would argue if you zero status, it makes definite sense. The PH SYD essentially provides all Diamond benefits to Virtuoso guests including VIP treatment.

Each reservation will differ but often Virtuoso guests receive an amenity and $100 credit. If your rate with Hyatt direct is comparable to a Virtuoso rate then it makes sense to book the latter.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:02 am

The agent charges $250 per reservation.
What exactly are you booking, if you don't mind sharing? If that is what it costs to book a single hotel reservation at a property, then it is absolutely not worth it. There are plenty of Virtuoso agents that don't do that.

I think $250 might be a more reasonable fee if you are booking other Virtuoso products, or trips that entail a lot of back and forth and time for research.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:47 am

Even with status it often makes sense to book the Virtuoso rate, as upgades and other benefits can "stack."
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:52 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Thanks all. Wasn't sure which forum to post on and put here since I try to stay Hyatt and have seen Virtuoso questions/comments before. Mod, please feel free to adjust as you see fit.

Luxury, I'll PM you.

Many thanks.
While the question is Hyatt related, it's probably more of a Luxury Hotel forum type - so I'll move it there, maybe others could respond.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
250 per booking is street robbery. I never paid for a booking and woudn't do. I understand some agents charge for 1 night bookings (if not a frequent client). If it's some 200 dollar room I understand it up to lets say 50 dollar, not for example for a 2000 dollar suite
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Even with status it often makes sense to book the Virtuoso rate, as upgades and other benefits can "stack."
Often status and Virtuoso can be combained
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by offerendum
250 per booking is street robbery. I never paid for a booking and woudn't do. I understand some agents charge for 1 night bookings (if not a frequent client). If it's some 200 dollar room I understand it up to lets say 50 dollar, not for example for a 2000 dollar suite
Agreed. How long does it take to do the booking, 5 minutes? Whole process inc email confs etc unlikely to take more than 30 minutes.

Given an average spend by me of around $2,500 that is a run rate of $500+ per hour for the agent! Possibly more depending on chain, I know Belmond was offering 18 per cent recently to agents.

Asking for a fee on top is having a laugh.

This assumes you are simply telling the agent what to book and they book it, of course, instead of having had a private meeting with the agent in person for an hour to talk through ideas. Although, frankly, the commissions are so high that would also be money for old rope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.