Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

If I may be so bold? Annual personal travel budget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If I may be so bold? Annual personal travel budget?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 1:15 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I really don't know yearly, nor do I know what actually constitutes travel but I would say that it is somewhere in the xx,xxx to xxx,xxx range. We just decide what would be cool and make it happen, and hopefully for as inexpensively as possible without sacrificing our standards at any given moment.

This year many of our flights were covered by miles and none of our hotels were.

I'd much prefer, for example, to eat at Guy Savoy rather than stay at George V if given the choice. I'd rather stay at a laid-back junker of a beachhouse rather than some 5 star hotel in anywheresville.

Last edited by DSI; May 4, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I was more interested in what percentage of their income they spent on travel.
percentage is informative because spend is relative to income/assets, whether total/net/discretionary. many on this forum (and even flyertalk in general) have percentage much higher than average, making their spend equivalent to average of those with much higher income/assets.

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
laid-back junker of a beachhouse
need more good beachfront. i also like villas that take individual room reservations
(in other words, even fewer rooms than 30-'room' amankila/amanwella for example)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 4, 2015 at 6:23 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by Ericka
Ahhh. This is where Mr. Ericka and I actually save some money. We're just not into shopping. We usually buy small charming remembrances from our trip, but nothing very expensive. The only item we bought that cost > $1000 was a marble table from Agra. I'm looking at it now. All these years later and it's still one of my favorite things in the house.
Maybe it is because of my job (let me summarizing saying that I make a living with other people shopping), but we took shopping quite seriously...I actually do more (much more?) then Ms. Daddy does even for her shopping.

I don't really mind the price....it can be a few dollars....or several thousands (budget permitting)...as far as I enjoy it, to me are money well spent.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
The_Daddy, your comments seem applicable to cities, there are places besides cities[/QUOTE]

I don't think they apply only to cities....
meals and shopping can get very expensive even in "resort" environment (if not more).
Shows maybe are limited to cities but you can have entertaining plans as expensive (if not more) in resort/vacation places ...like sunset yacht cruise or others...
Old May 4, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agree excursions can be done anywhere, some rates include more than others

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
often a meal cost me MUCH more then the luxury hotel rate
i was picturing 3 michelin star tasting menu, rather than thousands on wine at resort

meals and shopping can get very expensive even in "resort" environment (if not more)
remote, safari-style, maldives = no shopping, rates may include meals/drinks
some rates may include everything, but total spend may be same as city stay

"travel" can include all spent while traveling, before being broken down into categories
shopping can be one of many reasons behind travel, even a primary reason sometimes
FlyerEC has good point re local artisans etc, there are many different types of shopping
i was using maldives as example of resorts where there is nothing on island but resort

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 4, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 6:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
The_Daddy, your comments seem applicable to cities, there are places besides cities
I don't think they apply only to cities....
meals and shopping can get very expensive even in "resort" environment (if not more).
Shows maybe are limited to cities but you can have entertaining plans as expensive (if not more) in resort/vacation places ...like sunset yacht cruise or others...[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
agree excursions can be done anywhere, some rates include more than others

i was picturing 3 michelin star tasting menu, rather than thousands on wine at resort

remote, safari-style, maldives = no shopping, rates may include meals/drinks
some rates may include everything, but total spend may be same as city stay

"travel" can include all spent while traveling, before being broken down into categories
shopping can be one of many reasons behind travel, even a primary reason sometimes
Think we do end up with 00 000 or 000 000 annually , haven't thought much or budgeted , not so good a method ..

It ' s a amazing how much one can shop at safari lodges , some FS even remote ones like in the Maldives , Amans - like gallery in Dari , Taka , Puri , etc

Then those Michelin star meals on other non ' roughing ' out trips
& this is skipping wines , etc drinks

Last edited by FlyerEC; May 13, 2015 at 5:08 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 6, 2015, 8:24 am

Fine dining! I probably spend as much on food and wine as hotels when I travel, sometimes a lot more!
Old May 13, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Agreed. The return on investment in purchasing a business class airfare has eluded me, perhaps especially comparing the experiences. If I have to choose between a four night stay at the George V (around 5k) or an 8 hour overnight flight to Paris (around 5k), I will always choose the extra four nights at a spectacular hotel.
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I don't really have a travel budget, but tend to plan several trip per year. Some of them are opportunistic. For instance, I might want to visit three different places in September. I start checking airfare 6~ 10 months out until a deal pops up. Then I will visit that destination that is "on sale".

To give you an idea for my travels since November last year: I was in Lisbon flying BA J over Thanksgiving, in Puerto Vallarta for New Years, and in Buenos Aires flying AC J two weeks ago.
In June I will fly DL J to AMS, fly DL J to Rio in September and fly a combination of DL J, KL J, and EK F to and from Cape Town for New Years.
[QUOTE=luxtrvlwrks;24739546]Travel is the largest category of spend in our household budget. I drink drip coffee from the grocery store (the horror!), but I will not scrimp or compromise when it comes to travel.

I take around 8-10 trips per year. The trip starts at the airport so F/J tickets are a must. Besides, I need to experience those cabins for client research

I do use points and miles where prudent for air, but it seems to rarely work out so I tend to be more of a hoarder. I rarely use hotel points. Generally only when a stay at something like a Courtyard or Homewood Suites is required and the rates seem egregious.

For me, the luxury is in the experience.

As a general rule, I want to stay in the best hotel (for me) in any given location. [/QUOTE

I find this thread fascinating and thanks to everyone for sharing their perspectives. I have to state upfront that I'm not a luxury hotel connoisseur at all, and read these threads to see if I am missing something rom my travels, and what I can learn. Value, choice and return on investment are very personal calculations with no single right answer. Travel is the largest category of discretionary expense in our house hold, but we don't put a dollar figure and use some of the strategies quoted above. Off season bookings, routings that provide a short stopover a combination of paid and award tickets, and paid and hotel nights We have earned and burned millions of miles and don't regret one redemption. We travel 5 to 6 weeks a year. In November last year,Namibia South Africa, and a weekend in London on the way home, February Australia, Shanghai, and Bangkok. just returned from Berlin this week, and a planning something in Asia for the fal, with a return to Oceania next February with a stop in Dubai on the way home We like to mix an expensive trip like Africa with a more reasonable one to Asia, and even Europe right now, to get the most out our travel dollar. We are not resort people and am not big on vacation being downtime, so that may be why luxury hotels have not been top of the spend category for us. I'm also torn as to whether as we get closer to retirement, we will want more of the services provided by top hotels, and see the value in it especially for providing insider experiences or want to stretch our dollar even further when we have more time. Thanks for all your insights as I keep integrating and learning.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Namibia South Africa
not big on vacation being downtime
not resort
insider experiences
- private concessions in africa [few guests is lower impact than many guests]
- safari style - aman (kora, taka, sara) awasi (atacama, patagonia) dar ahlam
- australia - southern ocean lodge, maybe saffire freycinet and wolgan valley
- new zealand properties discussed here can be 'active' i think
- amangiri has via ferrata etc onsite plus nearby national parks
- culture / insider at aman, primarily in asia, maybe marrakech

edit - just some examples of properties discussed in this forum
example of one of the trip reports - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ip-review.html
just noticed awasi iguazu (argentina side) may be on track for opening next year

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
reminds me of a scene in http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/ where a young british girl is discussing the merits of an hermes birkin over cosmetic surgery during dinner in morocco.

for some of us its travel.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Old May 13, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for your list.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
As I read through threads here and drool and daydream (where I wish I was going next!), I began to wonder: Do members of this forum set an annual budget for travel? Or is it more opportunistic / unplanned: The itch gets strong, Aman or Maldives or Singita calls, and the trip is booked...

I see some people here speaking of using miles, and booking during shoulder or low seasons, apparently with the desire to get the most luxury travel 'bang for their buck'.

Others appear to have less focus on cost, and more focus on the best travel experience available, wherever and whenever they desire to visit.

So, at the risk of appearing crass and rude (in which case this thread will die a timely death): What is your annual personal travel budget?

We do not set an annual budget, per se. However, when the economy is good and our year is going well, that 'extra' money sitting in the bank account calls out to us to get out there while we are still young(ish) and see the world!

Does not always have to be luxury - our recent trip to Vegas, Zion, Bryce, and Moab did not involve anything remotely close. But we did stay in the lodges at Bryce and Zion within the parks (perfect choice), and in a property that worked in Moab (ahem, a Fairfield Inn).

Our 'biggest' year included multiple long international trips, some with the kids, Aman's, 4S's, small exclusive properties, Ritz', baseball trips, and first class travel. Our spend that year was in the range of $80K, although it was likely higher as I am not one to track too closely.

Other fun and great trips (like this recent Utah trip) have been much lower budget, but still have satisfied what we were looking for in almost every way. With some camping this summer added in (not in an Aman tented camp! In our own tent. ), and a couple of other wedding / baseball / family trips thrown in, this year will be closer to $25 - $30K.

If you are comfortable sharing your thoughts in this area, either your general philosophy, or your specific approach to budgeting and spend, please do!
I, perhaps many others who vacation on award tickets, have the mentality that since I already spent so many miles to go so far, might as well shell out a few more bucks on a nice hotel and make the most of it. But this is only when traveling abroad, specifically to Asia. US "luxury" hotels are shameful, and I am not willing to pay top dollar... or any dollar... for a Four Seasons in the US.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 17, 2015 at 4:05 am
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Member

No budget here. But I retired three years ago and Jim is in early moderate stage dementia so we're traveling as much as possible and damn the cost. Also, sold our modest three bedroom cottage in, um, Menlo Park, CA, so adequate wherewithal.

This year we are spending an average $2K per night and that is all domestic plus Mexico. Next year will be more figuring Laucala into the mix. Other venues for 2017: Portugal/ Spain, Denmark/Norway, more Mexico as ever, possibly Barbados. We'd like to do a third canal barge in France (not south) but having trouble finding a Sept/Oct itinerary that satisfies.

Air is always First or Business. Quite a lot of room service for tea, coffee, snacks, breakfast (often included).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:45 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
No real budget here, either. Though we try to keep any trip to $30-35K whenever possible...this being mostly for the big 3 week excursions to "major" destinations.

We always value shop our luxury. I am a major points and miles player, so we only once have paid for international F ($3200 for OW CPT-DXB-LAX IN EK F); all our other international travel in F/J is with award travel. Our upcoming October LAX-FRA-VCE will be LH F using LH miles transferred from SPG, and our return LHR-LAX will be AA F using AA miles transferred from SPG. Our Jan 2017 India trip will be LAX-DXB-DEL roundtrip on EK F using AS miles.

Since we save so much money by getting awards for premium international airfare, we don't mind spending more on hotels. But we also don't mind using points and status when available. For our upcoming Venice-Milan-London trip, we will be at the SPG Luxury Collection Gritti in Venice, Excelsior Gallia in Milan, and Park Tower Knightsbridge London (instead of our fave Halkin)...all on SPG points. With my Plat Ambassador status possibly changing after the 2018 Marriott merger, I want to take advantage of those perks for as much as possible and use my SPG points as often as I can before that time.

Otherwise, we spend what we want where we want...but again with cost-benefit always in mind. Just because we can afford a bigger hotel suite doesn't mean we always think it is worth it. Just because we can afford the more expensive hotel doesn't mean we always think it is worth it. We tend to not care as much about suites in city hotels since we're more out and about, while we tend to want bigger suites/villas with private pools and amazing views when we're in more remote locales where we likely spend more time luxuriating in the room.

We spend money on dining (room service and fine dining/Michelin level restaurants) on almost every trip where those restaurants exist. We sometimes spend money on clothes shopping when in Paris (or soon in Milan, I am sure)...but otherwise we are not big shoppers or souvenirs people.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 25, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
<snip>
Just because we can afford the more expensive hotel doesn't mean we always think it is worth it. We tend to not care as much about suites I'm city hotels since we're more out and about, while we tend to want bigger suites/villas with private pools and amazing views when we're in more remote locales where we likely spend more time luxuriating in the room.
Completely agree with this strategy.

Regards
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DrGiggles
Two DINKs early 30s with a very finite window before we have kids thus take a break from travel, so not setting a budget (and even with that probably spend less than anyone here traveling with a family). Travel as schedule allows which is probably two longer trips per-year and shorter-haul longer weekends.
I echo this point. My wife and I made what we refer to as a "reverse bucket list" to try and experience all of the places/events before children. Priority goes to places we believe will be fundamentally different when we have an empty home in 20+ years. We look for decent deals to one or more of those places and then designate our summer and December breaks to heading there even if they are extremely expensive.
Consequently, we probably over spend relative to our financial principles, but consider it as an investment in our life story. Luckily, star alliance and SPG points (plus credit card points) make it easier to splurge when the value makes sense (1st class on SQ Moscow-SIN with points).
If we are going to invest in going to one of these places, we feel that making it a memorable experience is important. Hence we will be staying at Amanjiwo and Dari next month when in Indonesia. We have similar plans for Bhutan/Tibet/Machu Picchu/Petra/African Safari in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.