Ritz Carlton Singapore

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore

Map| 5 Reviews | 60% Recommended

7 Raffles Avenue Singapore, SG 039799

Ritz Carlton Singapore (0 Photo)

Note added by RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels, at the request of the OP:

This review was taken automatically from a post made on July 16,2006, roughly 9 years before the date associated with the review.  Since that time, among other things, the hotel has been fully renovated.

Before I get caught up in the details of this report, I should tell you that I was ill for most of this trip. I wasnt so sick that I couldnt have a good time, but I need to mention it because it involves the drug Ciprofloxacin. At the start of our trip, I was diagnosed with a UTI and was prescribed Cipro. The irony is that even though Cipro is the drug most prescribed to treat travelers stomach upset, I got Bali Belly on my 2nd day on the drug. I didnt identify it as Bali Belly right away (after all, I was on Cipro!) It wasnt until the last day of my trip, after reading a newspaper article that said Cipro was only 60% effective in Indonesia, that I got a doctor to prescribe a more effective antibiotic. In hindsight, I can see that my immune system was probably shot from the UTI and the jetlag, but there is a good lesson here for people traveling to Indonesia who want an antibiotic in their back pocket just in case pack something other than Cipro.

Flights and Airports

We flew Singapore Airlines 25/26 from JFK to SIN in Raffles class. The flights were as pleasant as always with the best features being the lay-flat (angled flat) seating and the on-demand entertainment system. The layover in Frankfurt was efficiently managed and when our first segment was delayed getting out of JFK, they made up for it by cleaning and turning around the 747 in Frankfurt in just 45 minutes.

Silk Air (a Singapore Airlines regional carrier) flew us into Solo City, Java. The plane was a full size Airbus and the service was very friendly. I would equate it to one of the better American carriers in amenities and service and would definitely recommend it as an alternative to Garuda.

We didnt know what to expect for the Solo airport. It turned out to be reasonably advanced except for the baggage claim system, which consisted of one small door between the tarmac and the 10 x 10 designated baggage area. Bags were carried through the door one at a time while over 100 passengers waited several yards behind, unable to see anything through the throngs of people. We later learned that the only way to get your bag in less than an hour is to tip (read: bribe) one of the bag boys who will then id your bag as one to be brought through the door sooner rather than later. This tipping process ended up looking more like an auction, with the locals waving money in the air and literally shouting instructions to the bag boys in the hopes their bag would be next. Unsure of this process, we decided to wait and our bags were indeed the last ones through the door.

Short Review

SINGAPORE (RITZ CARLTON) 1 DAYS
This was our second stay at the Ritz Carlton and our first on the club level. We booked a Millennia Suite and the view of the marina was beautiful. However, my husbands parents (who joined us on this trip) were staying in a corner Premier Suite which we found more appealing for the especially panoramic views and unique layout. We found that the Millennia Suite had wasted space for our needs (particularly the separate dining room). Both rooms had daily tropical fruit arrangements with a great little guidebook to tell you what unusual fruit you were eating, and there was a club level food presentation at all hours of day with lots of variety. We were a tad disappointed that there werent any champagnes chilling alongside the decent wine selection. But then again, we never asked for any so its possible there was a bottle hidden away.

While in Singapore, we had a very tasty lunch at Doc Chengs (Raffles Hotel) and went to the Jurong Bird Park. The park, while currently undergoing some renovation, was very nice and there were many opportunities to interact with the birds inside massive aviaries. We especially enjoyed the suspension bridges and loud and colorful birds in the Lory Loft. The Waterfall Aviary, with the worlds largest manmade waterfall, was also quite beautiful. If you go, dress light. This place, like all of Singapore, is hot!

Ritz Carlton Singapore

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Club lounge (or rooms on the Club floor) would be a good place to view the NYE fireworks?

I assume a good view of the MBS / harbour would equal good views of the fireworks, but haven't stayed on the Club floor at the RC SIN, so any input would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
We flew Singapore Airlines 25/26 from JFK to SIN in Raffles class. The flights were as pleasant as always with the best features being the lay-flat (angled flat) seating and the on-demand entertainment system. The layover in Frankfurt was efficiently managed and when our first segment was delayed getting out of JFK, they made up for it by cleaning and turning around the 747 in Frankfurt in just 45 minutes.
You flew SQ Raffles Class on a 747, enjoying the great angled flat seating? Have I time traveled back 10 years??

Did you visit the Ritz club room in the evening? Seems strange there wasn't a champagne offering. Even the club floor at the Pan Pacific, which isn't exactly a top shelf hotel, offered two hours of Laurent Perrier service when I was there last.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by llamaesque
Did you visit the Ritz club room in the evening? Seems strange there wasn't a champagne offering. Even the club floor at the Pan Pacific, which isn't exactly a top shelf hotel, offered two hours of Laurent Perrier service when I was there last.
Last time I checked (admittedly maybe 4 years ago) the Ritz club lounge were extremely generous with the champagne, starting early in the afternoon or actually I'm pretty sure at breakfast. From memory they had a nicer NV like Taittinger. The club lounge staff even remembered that I liked it and offered a glass practically as soon as I sat down.

Hope you've made a good recovery from this trip Ericka!

I'm guessing you mean SQ25 was an A380 or 777-300ER with fully-flat bed rights in 1-2-1 config right?

Otherwise you may have travelled back in time as llamaesque suggested, or just about the same thing and ended up with about the worst equipment change possible to one of the old un-refitted 777-200s with the angled flat seats. I got a last minute swap out to one of these on an SQ flight from Rome to Singapore and was not happy But I doubt Singapore Airilnes would do that on SQ25 or SQ26.

Raffles Class retired a long time ago and now it's just Business

We were a tad disappointed that there werent any champagnes chilling alongside the decent wine selection. But then again, we never asked for any so its possible there was a bottle hidden away.
I am sure if you had asked it would have been forthcoming (they probably keep in the fridge rather than ice bucket next to the wines for practical reasons). Sad you missed out on your champagne - next time!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jul 16, 06 Ericka posted report
Feb 3, 15 owner of FT created this

will continue to lead to confusion

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 13, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Jul 16, 06 Ericka posted report
Feb 3, 15 owner of FT created this

will continue to lead to confusion
So it is time travel...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:35 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Moderators, please do something about this

This is a +10 year old trip report that was part of a larger amanjiwo trip. I gave permisson for my old trip reports to be converted to the new format....not realizing they would be cut apart and presented in such a botched up fashion.

Ideally, the trip report would be put together as originally presented. As is, it's an embarassment.

Respectfully,

Ericka

**************************'
Edited by RichardInSF to add:

I'm trying to figure out how to do this! In the meantime, maybe Obscure2k already knows so it will magically happen. Have also had a few experiences with cipro myself btw.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jul 14, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

original is still there! this is just a copy.

in 2 days it will be 11 years. pretty sure it was the first aman report i read. feels like yesterday.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 14, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
The RC Singapore has been renovated since. Now I find it much nicer. One of my favourites. Love their buffet! Best in town.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:53 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Have also had a few experiences with cipro myself btw.
A month later, I found out I actually had C Difficile from taking two antibiotics. But now we're getting a little TMI.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edited by RichardInSF to add: I'm trying to figure out how to do this! In the meantime, maybe Obscure2k already knows so it will magically happen.
the original trip report thread does remain unchanged. just have to ignore these copies. when copies are bumped the wrong dates cause confusion.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Hmm, how come it doesn't participate in Marriott program and isn't bookable on points? -_-
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Hmm, how come it doesn't participate in Marriott program and isn't bookable on points? -_-
As pointed here:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

The Ritz Carlton Singapore is explicitly excluded. However, I plan to stay there, it seems to be a wonderful hotel, despite the non-participation to the program!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
As pointed here: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi The Ritz Carlton Singapore is explicitly excluded. However, I plan to stay there, it seems to be a wonderful hotel, despite the non-participation to the program!
It is clear that stays at the Ritz Carlton Singapore do not earn points. It is unclear whether they are eligible stays for the purposes of night / stay credit. Does anyone think that stays at this property are eligible for night / stay credit?

The exact language in the Marriott Rewards T&C is:

Members may earn Points or Miles and may redeem Points at participating Marriott hotel brands and Ritz-Carlton hotels:
  1. The Ritz-Carlton® – all locations except:
    1. The Ritz-Carlton, Millennia Singapore
    2. All Ritz-Carlton Reserves
    3. The following partner hotels do not participate:
      • Hotel Ritz-London – London, UK
      • All Bulgari Hotels and Resorts
    4. In addition, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Clubs and The Ritz-Carlton Residences do not participate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.