Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Report: One&Only Hayman Island Great Barrier Reef: pros & cons

One and Only Hayman Island

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Hayman Island Hayman Island, QL AU 4801

Report: One & Only Hayman Island Great Barrier Reef: pros & cons (8 Photos)

Last month, I stayed at One&Only Hayman Island (3 nights). The resort has not been reviewed yet here on FT, and I want to share my impressions, the good and bad ones. Hayman Island has long been one of Australia’s leading hotels, and after a six month refurbishment of $80 million dollars by the One & Only Hotel, the resort reopened in July as the "One&Only Hayman Island Great Barrier Reef".

PROS & THINGS I LIKED:

- Location, location, location! The hotel is located on its own private island, which is the northernmost of the Whitsunday Islands (off the coast of Queensland). The Whitsundays are internationally famous for their rugged, green-clad islands, blue waters and beautiful beaches, and Hayman Island is no exception to that.
- Transfer to the resort (from Hamilton Island Airport or the mainland) is in fact a sightseeing trip on itself, and done by yacht (50 minutes), helicopter (10 minutes) or waterplane (10 minutes). Most guest will arrive by yacht, and will be offered Champagne and canap on route. We booked the yacht transfer, but were upgraded to a heli flight.
- Everything is brand-new (at least for now).
- Upon arrival, golf buggies are waiting to meet you and take you to the resort (about 600 meters from the harbour). A member of staff will then guide you on a short welcome tour of the large property and take care of the in-room check-in. We were welcomed by Ben and he did a great job!
- The resort has two large, exquisite pools. The enormous hexagonal, iconic Hayman pool mainly attracts adults, is filled with salt water and feels deliciously cold (although it has a separate, smaller and heated pool, filled with fresh water, in its center). On the eastern side of the resort, you will find a new, somewhat smaller but heated pool, filled with fresh water, that mainly caters to families with young children and offers nice ocean views (because of its beachfront setting). Lovely towels and ice buckets with bottles of cold water are provided to guests at both pools.
- The resort is located along a beautiful, palm fringed beach, with lots of sun loungers and umbrellas. The beach is composed of soft sand that does includes fragments of shell and coral. Like most Whitsunday beaches, it has a pale brown colour (in contrast to the famous and blinding white silica sands of Whitehaven Beach, which you can visit on a heli excursion).
- The refurbished rooms, suites & beach houses are amazing. During renovation, One&Only reduced the room inventory from 210 to 160 to be sure that room size met their high standards (minimum 54 sqm). All rooms & suites feature a private balcony, spacious en suite bathroom with separate shower, bath, double vanity and open-plan dressing room. The bed is one of the best that I have ever slept in! We were upgraded from a Hayman Lagoon Room to a gorgeous Hayman suite.
- Rooms & suites are located in three distinct areas of the resort, each different in style and ambiance, and each designed to take advantage of the breathtaking views of the island and its natural surroundings:
(1)The Hayman Wing is located on the tranquil eastern side of the resort, overlooking a serene lily lagoon and close to the family pool.
(2) The Pool Wing overlooks Hayman’s iconic hexagonal pool, with some suites offering direct swim-out access into the pool.
(3) The Beach Wing features a collection of uniquely designed villas for those in need of a beachfront setting.[/indent]- There is free WiFi throughout the resort.
- Although the staff looked very young, service at the resort is excellent (unlike a lot of Tripadvisor reviews, we did not experience any service issue during our 3 night stay). To give some examples: around the pool a staff member came by every day to clean sunglasses, and nightly turn down service included fortune cookies one night and Koko Black chocolates another night. For my birthday (which I did not mention, but they must have noticed it on my passport at check-in), I received a lemon cake and chocolate strawberries.
- The sport’s club on the beach offers varying watersports, such as complimentary catamaran sailing, windsurfing and paddleskiing. For the more adventurous, tube rides, jet skis and water skiing are available at an extra cost.
- The resort has several restaurants with extensive menus, so those staying longer than a few days will never be gastronomically bored. In all restaurants, food is great without being pretentious. Their signature restaurant Fire offers modern Australian cuisine, while Amici offers Italian dishes and Bamboo delicious Asian food (the wagyu beef is to die for!). Other food options include the Pacific restaurant, in-room dining and snacks by both pools.
- The Pacific restaurant, perched right by the sand and sea, not only offers great dining but is also the location of the daily generous Champagne breakfast buffet, with a barista, fresh pancakes, freshly baked pastries and eggs made to order.
- Both sunrise and sunset can be watched from the beach at Hayman Island (assuring some terrific moments of pure romance). For a full view of the sunset, walk to the beach bordering the eastern side of the resort (close to the Hayman wing).
- The resort has a nice spa.
- The resort has a new, large and state-of-the-art fitness centre with separate areas for cardio, weight training and stretching.
- The hotel is located in the heart of the Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef, and takes advantage of this prime location: there are plenty of (expensive) excursions on offer ranging from hikes, helicopter ride to Whitheaven Beach, snorkel trips to the Great Barrier Reef, and sailing adventures around the other island.
- Hayman Island has plenty of wildlife: we saw several interesting bird species, as well as plenty of wallabies at dusk. In addition, the island is home to thousands of flying foxes (large fruit bats or macrobats): as the sun goes down, these bats leave their treetop camps and stream across the sky, creating an impressive and noisy spectacle!

CONS & THINGS I DID NOT LIKE:

One&Only Hayman is easily amongst the best beach and/or island resorts that I have visited so far. Simply put, it’s a brilliant resort and a no brainer when you travel to the Whitsunday Islands. While I would recommend it to everyone, there are some things you need to know and some areas where there is room for improvement:
- Pre-visit email communication with the resort was unacceptably slow. Response to our few, detailed questions often took many days. The resort should try to answer queries by email within 24 hours, as it may put off future guests.
- Inside our suite, internet connection was slow, from time to time non-existing.
- The beachfront scenery is pure paradise during high tide. But the beach is far from attractive at low tide (the sea almost completely disappears). It is fun though to watch the stingrays and other marine life in the shallow areas.
- While stuning on the inside after the $80 dollars refurbishment, the two main hotel wings are far from attractive from the outside. They date from the previous century and are an eyesore IMHO.
- The wildlife – especially birds – may annoy guests. Screeching cockatoos constantly do food raids at breakfast (and even inside rooms!). Staff does a good job of shooing them without showing their frustration.
- Marine stingers may be present in the waters of tropical Queensland year round, with the higher risk season during November to May. During this period, jellyfish are prevalent in the waters around the mainland, islands and have occasionally been found out on the reef (a protective suite must be worn when you enter the water).
- Excursions to the Reef and Whitsunday Island are all done by plane or heli (no boat), which may be problematic for those suffering from a fear of flying.
- Excursion are very expensive, and cost a couple of hundred dollars more as compared to the same type of excursions that depart from Airlie Beach on the mainland (sometimes with the same company). For example, a 2 hour trip to Whitheaven Beach will cost around 700 AUD per person.
- Bar 50 (the resort's main lounge) is soulless, as it is located in a very large and totally uninviting lounge area. Definitely lacks atmosphere (the resort needs to reassess this one).

For those who want to see more images:
- I uploaded a lot more photos here:http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...hayman-island/
- I also made a Youtube clip with my impressions of the resort:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUUpypnZeoc

Report: One & Only Hayman Island Great Barrier Reef: pros & cons

Would you like to write a review on the One and Only Hayman Island?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Looks phenomenal, I wonder how it compares to other great barrier reef resorts like Qualia, Bedarra, or Lizard Island esp the Beach Villas which appear to be at a similar pricepoint to the abovementioned resorts ?

Can anyone compare and contrast ?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by Nizar
Looks phenomenal, I wonder how it compares to other great barrier reef resorts like Qualia, Bedarra, or Lizard Island esp the Beach Villas which appear to be at a similar pricepoint to the abovementioned resorts ?

Can anyone compare and contrast ?
I did not stay at one of the mentioned resorts, so I cannot comment. But what I can say is the following:
- Lizard Island is reopening in March after a refurbishment and it is rumoured to be stunning.
- We passed Qualia on our way from Hayman Island to the airport on Hamilton Island. It's location - on the main island (not a private one, like Hayman) - is far from desirable IMHO as it is just a few minutes away from the airport and along the takeoff or landing path of the jets. The proximity to the airport would be bothersome to me.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:34 am

I have stayed at both Qualia and Hayman Island earlier this year, and both my partner and I prefer Qualia over Hayman. We stayed in the beach villa at Hayman and although it was beautiful, lacked privacy, which we think was the biggest downfall. Unless you wanted passer-byers to look straight through your bedroom, you have to keep the blinds closed which means no view of the beach...kind of defeats the purpose of having a view. Another thing that put us off Hayman was that the rest of the buildings looked very tired as mentioned in the above review.
In regards to your concerns with noise from planes taking off and landing... I can honestly say I didn't even notice it the whole time I was there. As soon as you step through the gates of Qualia you are in a different world and instantly feel relaxed.

Here is my tripadvisor review of Qualia for those interested: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUs...ECK_RATES_CONT

I've been quite slack and haven't yet written one for Hayman

Last edited by donnat88; Jul 9, 2015 at 3:05 pm Reason: added link to review
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We stayed at Lizard Island's Pavilion (their top accommodation) back in May 2007. You can see my tripadvisor review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ueensland.html

We went mostly for the scuba diving, since Lizard is the only luxe Aussie resort on the OUTER edge of the Great Barrier Reef, which tends to attract the bigger pelagics in greater numbers when compared to the preponderance of resorts like Qualia/Hayman/Hamilton/Bedarra on the inner side of the Reef.

If scuba diving is an important criterion for your luxe Great Barrier holiday, I'd recommend Lizard for that reason alone. But prepare yourself--the diving costs there were EXORBITANT.

We liked Lizard but thought it was a lot more expensive (especially the diving, which had exorbitant rates) than the experience warranted to some degree. Food was good, but we did have a few service blunders. We liked the size of the property, so hopefully the refurb doesn't affect that much. There was a lack of management to whom we could direct our few complaints, so hopefully that situation has improved since that stay.

We did have one of the most memorable dives ever there at Shark Alley just a bit away from Cod Hole. So for the serious diver who enjoys luxury, Lizard Island is a definite consideration when it reopens.

We would be most interested in returning to the Great Barrier for the Qualia property over Hayman, largely because of the presumed solitude Qualia offers in a less dense setting (which we prefer) that that of Hayman. But we'd ultimately opt for whichever Whitsunday property offers the best chance for the best scuba diving--at the most reasonable rates.

Our neighbor just returned from Hayman, and she was pleased but thought it was a bit too crowded for her tastes, as well. (She also was with us when we went to Amangiri in April, which was at full occupancy, and she said Amangiri didn't feel nearly as full as Hayman did, even with Hayman not being at full capacity.)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

We would be most interested in returning to the Great Barrier for the Qualia property over Hayman, largely because of the presumed solitude Qualia offers in a less dense setting (which we prefer) that that of Hayman. But we'd ultimately opt for whichever Whitsunday property offers the best chance for the best scuba diving--at the most reasonable rates.
Hi Bhrubin,
From what I understand, both Qualia and Hayman use third party providers for their diving trips, located on Hamilton Island. As for snorkelling at the property themselves, Qualia has pebble beach, and Hayman Blue Pearl Bay.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by donnat88
Hi Bhrubin,
From what I understand, both Qualia and Hayman use third party providers for their diving trips, located on Hamilton Island. As for snorkelling at the property themselves, Qualia has pebble beach, and Hayman Blue Pearl Bay.
That was my understanding, as well. Snorkeling matters less to us, understandably, as we prefer to dive--not that good snorkeling isn't also enjoyable to many divers. Sometimes it can be fun to get a different perspective from above when snorkeling.

That being said, Qualia still interests us more than Hayman at this point and time.

The truth is that we weren't as impressed overall with the Great Barrier diving from Lizard as much as we were in Belize from Cayo Espanto (and the day trip to the Blue Hole) or when we were at the Red Sea from Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt. Obviously, a live-aboard is likely the only way to find the best dive spots in most of these areas, anyway...but we obviously want 5 star luxury, too. :-)

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 9, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:47 am

Isn't it a bit big, a bit Hawaiian, even in its new configuration, for that island? The architecture makes it looks a bit conventioneer/corporate for my taste. Very nice snaps and an interesting read.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Isn't it a bit big, a bit Hawaiian, even in its new configuration, for that island? The architecture makes it looks a bit conventioneer/corporate for my taste. Very nice snaps and an interesting read.
If it came to the choice, you'd prefer Qualia to Hayman then. . I quite enjoyed my Qualia stay earlier this year, although when you leave the resort Hamilton Island is nothing special.

I have yet to visit Hayman since the O&O makeover but I stayed several times at the resort in its previous incarnations (including as a child in the 70s when there was a cabaret-style lounge which was the social centre of the resort in the evenings, fancy dress - including, yes, Hawaiian - and other theme nights, set sitting times and seating allocations for all meals - like a cruise on land!). The larger buildings date from decades ago when this style of resort was seen as exclusive and sophisticated in Australia and they (and "that" pool) were designed to set a new benchmark for luxury at Australian resorts. The old "fine dining" restaurant, la Fontaine, was a picture of 80s glitz, with curtained windows, coral carpet, lots of marble, a piano and a fountain at the centre. It was about as far removed from "barefoot chic" as I can imagine!

The pre-O&O incarnation particularly suffered IMHO from the way the restaurants and other public spaces were largely designed with their back turned to the sea and the natural environment. I hope the renovations have gone some way to changing this?

Last edited by Baghoarder; Jul 10, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: QFF SG, Kris Flyer Silver
There are 2 restaurants that face the beach: Pacific which is open for all meals most days and where breakfast buffet is served and Aquazure which is a tapas style restaurant near the new pool. The 3 other restaurants are all towards the back of the resort with no views.

We were there after Easter this year and whilst certainly is one of the luxury lodgings in Australia, it is bigger than what most people on the luxury hotel forum are used to. Service is good but inconsistent and certainly not up to FS or Aman standards. So adjust your expectations if you are intending to stay there. The setting however is stunning and they have done a good job with the room renovations.

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
If it came to the choice, you'd prefer Qualia to Hayman then. . I quite enjoyed my Qualia stay earlier this year, although when you leave the resort Hamilton Island is nothing special.

I have yet to visit Hayman since the O&O makeover but I stayed several times at the resort in its previous incarnations (including as a child in the 70s when there was a cabaret-style lounge which was the social centre of the resort in the evenings, fancy dress - including, yes, Hawaiian - and other theme nights, set sitting times and seating allocations for all meals - like a cruise on land!). The larger buildings date from decades ago when this style of resort was seen as exclusive and sophisticated in Australia and they (and "that" pool) were designed to set a new benchmark for luxury at Australian resorts. The old "fine dining" restaurant, la Fontaine, was a picture of 80s glitz, with curtained windows, coral carpet, lots of marble, a piano and a fountain at the centre. It was about as far removed from "barefoot chic" as I can imagine!

The pre-O&O incarnation particularly suffered IMHO from the way the restaurants and other public spaces were largely designed with their back turned to the sea and the natural environment. I hope the renovations have gone some way to changing this?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:04 am
Suspended

Edit: never mind...getting here looks as simple as SYD-HTI and then a complimentary boat ride...easy.

Last edited by pricesquire; Aug 4, 2015 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
That ride is in no way complimentary
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

[deleted]

Last edited by pricesquire; Aug 6, 2015 at 11:46 am
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by pricesquire
For me it is
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: Too many
Report: One&Only Hayman Island Great Barrier Reef: pros & cons

I see the OP is copying and pasting other blogs/websites info AGAIN about the property like he has in previous trip reports. Sad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.