Report: Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 8:20 am

Anyone try the springs resort? Pools look amazing
Old May 12, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
...then 6 nights at the FS.
I don't know guys, as much as I like the FS hotels, this one just
doesn't look good at all IMO. Dated, nothing special, boring location/beach.
Mukul looks way better if I had to choose...
Also FS costa Rica seems to be way overpriced. More than $4K for
a decent pool villa? I can get a MUCH nicer villa in an amazing
FS Seychelles for 1/3 of that.

BTW, can you get to Mukul from Liberia airport, anyone knows?
Old May 12, 2015, 2:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I agree--Mukul looks much better to me, both in unique character, rate, and overall value proposition. The FS has never really interested us.

BTW, can you get to Mukul from Liberia airport, anyone knows?
I'd check the Mukul thread or directly inquire, but I believe you can arrange a transfer from Liberia, as well. I think it's a slightly longer drive than from Managua to Mukul.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:11 pm

Back on topic - anyone have some advice on this itinerary?
Old May 16, 2015, 3:44 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Mukul looks wonderful. But for us, traveling with a 4 year old, we feel more comfortable going with a proven product like the Four Seasons. The kids club and available activities for families, special menus, etc. are what's most important. This is one case where having all those positive tripadvisor reviews means something. And it helps that many of our luxury forumites have had good experiences there with their families as well.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Not sure why the beach looks boring to some of the readers here. Sand, clear warm water, and a comfy chair.

As for itinerary, we would do it differently next time and fly into San Jose and spend some nights in the cloud or rain forest and end at the FS and fly out of LIR.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Not sure why the beach looks boring to some of the readers here. Sand, clear warm water, and a comfy chair.
Simply put: different strokes for different folks. While I'm sure the water is amazing, this beach looks boring to me (maybe boring isn't the right word...a better way of putting it: it's just not that special to me).

Reason being - I've spent my whole life on the Florida Coast, where the water, sand, temperature, and cleanliness are literally identical to what I'd find in Papagayo (this has been confirmed by a few of my neighbors who just got back from the FS).

That said...I am not one of those people who are feigns for crystal clear water...and I'm not Caribbean-or-bust either. I just had a FANTASTIC vacation at Mukul Resort in Nicaragua, where the water looks identical to Papagayo. While the water (in and of itself) didn't scream 'special' to me, the beach itself did hit that mark.

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
As for itinerary, we would do it differently next time and fly into San Jose and spend some nights in the cloud or rain forest and end at the FS and fly out of LIR.
That's the best way to do it (in my opinion). Fly into San Jose, spend a few nights at Pacuare Lodge, then El Silencio or Nayara, then FS/Andaz, then fly out of Liberia. Perfect vacation!

Doing that identical itinerary for Thanksgiving this year...

For those interested in getting to Mukul from Liberia:

Good news!! The new airstrip (open by this fall) will open things up for Liberia flights.

In theory you could drive this route - as the crow flies it's very, very short. But I think it'll take a lot longer than most expect due to the lack of good roads.

Also, for those interested (or wondering): Mukul is officially a 'tried and true product' and the reviews coming out of there since I visited are outstanding. I'm going back 2x this year
Old May 16, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Simply put: different strokes for different folks. While I'm sure the water is amazing, this beach looks boring to me (maybe boring isn't the right word...a better way of putting it: it's just not that special to me).

Reason being - I've spent my whole life on the Florida Coast, where the water, sand, temperature, and cleanliness are literally identical to what I'd find in Papagayo (this has been confirmed by a few of my neighbors who just got back from the FS).

That said...I am not one of those people who are feigns for crystal clear water...and I'm not Caribbean-or-bust either. I just had a FANTASTIC vacation at Mukul Resort in Nicaragua, where the water looks identical to Papagayo. While the water (in and of itself) didn't scream 'special' to me, the beach itself did hit that mark.

That's the best way to do it (in my opinion). Fly into San Jose, spend a few nights at Pacuare Lodge, then El Silencio or Nayara, then FS/Andaz, then fly out of Liberia. Perfect vacation!

Doing that identical itinerary for Thanksgiving this year...

For those interested in getting to Mukul from Liberia:

Good news!! The new airstrip (open by this fall) will open things up for Liberia flights.

In theory you could drive this route - as the crow flies it's very, very short. But I think it'll take a lot longer than most expect due to the lack of good roads.

Also, for those interested (or wondering): Mukul is officially a 'tried and true product' and the reviews coming out of there since I visited are outstanding. I'm going back 2x this year
Thanks- that's exactly our plan- fly into San Jose- a few nights near arenal and then FS and fly out of Liberia.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:04 pm
Suspended

I think the Mukul Airstrip will add a very cool, unique element to the trip I'm doing (and off2rome).

What's neat is you can do the 'traditional' routing described above (San Jose beginning and ending at Liberia), and then you can take a puddle jumper to Mukul direct from Liberia, thereby skipping the whole FS/Andaz area.

Nothing wrong with FS/Andaz/Papagayo...but Im sure a lot of people will like the ability to do CR and Nica in one trip. Jungle in one and beach in another. Neat if you ask me.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I think the Mukul Airstrip will add a very cool, unique element to the trip I'm doing (and off2rome).

What's neat is you can do the 'traditional' routing described above (San Jose beginning and ending at Liberia), and then you can take a puddle jumper to Mukul direct from Liberia, thereby skipping the whole FS/Andaz area.

Nothing wrong with FS/Andaz/Papagayo...but Im sure a lot of people will like the ability to do CR and Nica in one trip. Jungle in one and beach in another. Neat if you ask me.
After looking into rates at FS papagayo for my March dates I may very well try this - just don't know if this is an appropriate place for tween and teen age sons??
Old May 17, 2015, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by off2rome
After looking into rates at FS papagayo for my March dates I may very well try this - just don't know if this is an appropriate place for tween and teen age sons??
What are their interests?

Just had two (younger) teens do the 'surf camp'...learned to surf by day 2, which was cool, and then they spent the mornings - every day - working with Gavin, their on-site surf professional.

Golf (but not sure - maybe too young).

Tons of hiking options - in addition to the free hike at 9 am every morning

The tours are great - cultural, and solid for kids.

Stand up paddle board, kayaking, nature walks, etc..

Not selling it as much as I'm typing what I can recollect from my last visit.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
It's been several years since we've been to FS but we loved it. We were upgraded to a Canopy Plunge Pool suite, staff were great and food was delicious. Each day, we had a private guide who took us on various tours. It was one of our favourite vacations...
Old May 17, 2015, 7:48 pm

What are typical March rates for a 2 bedroom beach villa at Mukul?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:46 pm

I have booked two rooms at the FS for myself, mrs.off2rome and the two teen boys but I am already having second thoughts because it seems to be a period of max occupancy. We love FS resorts like Hualalai and FS maui but we have had very mediocre experiences at peak season- too crowded, fighting for pool chairs at 6 am, etc. Anyone with experience with this resort at full occupancy have advice? How bad is it at 100%? thanks FTers
Old May 20, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by off2rome
What are typical March rates for a 2 bedroom beach villa at Mukul?
That's PEAK, so 2350-2800

That said, two things to note:

PEAK at Mukul isn't like peak at a FS. You simply won't feel like it's crowded, there is no jostling for chairs, and there isn't another guest in site. The resort is designed so that - even with every bed occupied - it feels very, very quiet.

Secondly, for those looking for TWO BEDROOM suites - think again:

The One bedroom ocean front villa may work because it has TWO stories, and the bottom floor has a murphy bed that comes out of the wall - perfect for kids.

PEAK for this villa is 1290-1825. Huge savings from the "other" 2 bedroom....

ps, you'll know you're at the FS in peak season because it'll be crowded. That's just how FS work...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.