Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Speculation about new Rosewood hotel, London (and others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA

I just got back today from a stay at the Seiyo Ginza in Tokyo. I was talking to a concierge there, and she didn't know that the Lanesborough was now Starwood.

I later had a conversation with the manager, and he said to keep eyes peeled - Rosewood should have a new property in London within 3 - 6 months. He assured me that it wouldn't be some huge hotel, and by way of hint said that the property is owned by someone who also has a property in Paris and a Property in L.A. I don't know if this refers to a company or an individual, but hopefully Rosewood will get back into London ASAP (I believe B Watson was lamenting Starwood's takeover of the Lanesborough awhile ago). Anyway, I'll miss Hyde Park Corner, but I think this is encouraging news.

Will
Old Sep 2, 2002, 12:13 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
I must say that I think things were on the slide even before the reflag - so, the question is, where are we all staying? I have tried the Mandarin and was not impressed. Claridges has Gordon Ramsey but not that much more. Ideas??
Old Nov 25, 2002, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I'll be in London over Christmas, and made a reservation at the Lanesborough again - I know that it's not the same as it was under Rosewood, but I have a question:

Can anyone currently recommend anything better at this point? I was able to get a rate of GBP 275/night there through Amex. Platinum, but if anyone has suggestions for better (at this point) please let me know!

Will

P.S.- What's the story with No. 5 Maddox Street?

W.

[edited for typo (story of my life...)]

[This message has been edited by TravelinWilly (edited 11-25-2002).]
Old Nov 25, 2002, 3:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The Four Seasons London near Hyde Park has a special rate of £195 + VAT during the Christmas period.

The Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park is offering a rate of £178 + VAT.

The Savoy at £149 + VAT.

Claridges at £179 + VAT.

The Connaught at £129 + VAT.

Old Nov 26, 2002, 2:10 pm

I have always had great experiences at One Aldwych.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:44 am

Question London Hotels in October?

Anybody have any "deals" on a central city high end property during this time?
Old May 27, 2009, 4:59 am

Four Seasons London (Hyde Park) is closed until 2010. London is bereft of great hotels, apart from the small boutique hotels of Firmdale, the best of which are Covent Garden Hotel, Charlotte Street Hotel and Soho Hotel. They also have a charming little B&B (with 24-hour room service) called The Knightsbridge. I don't like The Haymarket Hotel, though, although the rooms and suites are excellent - it's just the public areas that grate and the touristy location.

Otherwise, there is Browns, which is OK and is very central. I am also intrigued by The Langham, which has just completed a huge refurbishment, so I may try this out.

The big, supposedly luxe hotels of London manage to provide lacklustre service on a regular basis so I am not holding out much hope for The Savoy when it re-opens later this year under Fairmont.
Old May 27, 2009, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to agree with One Aldwych- the only caveat is DO NOT book the smallest room category. Also worth joining the (free version) Leaders Club- they honour benefits very well here. This is a lovely hotel.
The other London hotel I have used which IS NOT luxury, but does have beautiful top floor suites in a convenient area (for some) is the Zetter- the suites with private terrace on the top are very good value and have great B&O entertainment systems as well (the hotel is at most 4* however)... if you want to be in that area however this is the only option.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Four Seasons London (Hyde Park) is closed until 2010. London is bereft of great hotels, apart from the small boutique hotels of Firmdale, the best of which are Covent Garden Hotel, Charlotte Street Hotel and Soho Hotel. They also have a charming little B&B (with 24-hour room service) called The Knightsbridge. I don't like The Haymarket Hotel, though, although the rooms and suites are excellent - it's just the public areas that grate and the touristy location.

Otherwise, there is Browns, which is OK and is very central. I am also intrigued by The Langham, which has just completed a huge refurbishment, so I may try this out.

The big, supposedly luxe hotels of London manage to provide lacklustre service on a regular basis so I am not holding out much hope for The Savoy when it re-opens later this year under Fairmont.
Was at Browns again recently - pluses are location and quality of the rooms (often quite spacious). Minues are the public spaces, which are a bit dreary. I pretty much alternate between One Aldwych and Browns now. I've never warmed to the Firmdale hotels for some reason...
Old May 27, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
Was at Browns again recently - pluses are location and quality of the rooms (often quite spacious). Minues are the public spaces, which are a bit dreary. I pretty much alternate between One Aldwych and Browns now. I've never warmed to the Firmdale hotels for some reason...
Agree about the public areas at Browns - one long corridor really, but many of the suites are enormous. I have never warmed to One Aldwych as the rooms are so small and the suites, despite the views, uncomfortably configured. Would you say it was a GREAT hotel, Grumbler?
Old May 27, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I have never had a bad experience at the Dorchester. I love the location, the public areas and if you book park facing rooms the views are great.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
I have never had a bad experience at the Dorchester. I love the location, the public areas and if you book park facing rooms the views are great.
Lucky you! I have never had a good experience at The Dorchester. I love the location, public areas and views, but service always seems to go wrong - every single time.
Old May 27, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Maybe I've just been lucky, as you say. Service has always been good during my stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.