Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Short Stay - Campton Place, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Short Stay - Campton Place, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by LM225
Has anyone checked out the newly renovated Scarlet Huntington? Thinking about giving it a try on my January trip with the FHR 3rd night free promo.
It is atrocious IMHO. They took what could have been remodeled to be the best luxury hotel in San Francisco and ruined it. The Huntington rooms were clearly in need of a redo, but this one just does not fit the character of the building. Nice new modern bathrooms, but hideous decor! Fortunately they kept the Big Four restaurant decor more or less the same - just updated.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Larkin
It is atrocious IMHO. They took what could have been remodeled to be the best luxury hotel in San Francisco and ruined it. The Huntington rooms were clearly in need of a redo, but this one just does not fit the character of the building. Nice new modern bathrooms, but hideous decor! Fortunately they kept the Big Four restaurant decor more or less the same - just updated.
Sad to hear that, it had potential. Thanks for reporting.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Larkin
I live in San Francisco, and can honestly say there is no one great hotel. Probably the best overall is the Four Seasons or the St Regis, but neither have the best location. Campton Place (Taj) is a very good location, but has its issues as the OP states. Mandarin Oriental has great views, but the location is in the financial district - great for business in that area, but not great for leisure. St Regis has a better restaurant and bar than Four Seasons, but neither are in the best location. Having said all of this we have some of the best restaurants in the world in my " prejudiced" opinion, and everything is just an "uber" away. So I would say do not stay in the fairmont. If you want to be close to shopping in union square, stay in the Taj Campton Place. If you are working in the financial district, stay in the MO. If location is not an issue try the St Regis or Four Seasons ( these are the two I would choose and have when we were remodeling). Ritz is not my favorite, but many like it. It is on Nob Hill. In any case all are adequate and just an " uber" away from SF's highlights which I believe are our wonderful restaurants, not our hotels! Just my humble opinion living here!
Having been often to SF and generally preferring the StR and FS, I must agree--though I love SoMa so I really love the StR. (I'm also SPG Plat, so I almost always get upgraded, FWIW.) I like the FS, too, but prefer the StR partly because it's in SoMA. I completely agree that the StR bar is amazing.

I've stayed at the MO and haven't loved it--despite the views, it just lacks the service that MO usually offers and which the FS and StR easily and consistently surpass in SF.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Top of the Mark is atrocious...unless you enjoy the smell of inexpensive cleanser. The view is generally very nice, but blocked towards to GGB by the Fairmont.
+1. Very disappointing and seemed so out of step (whatever its history) with the rest of San Francisco.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Top of the mark is unfortunately the ultimate tourist trap. Very sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.