Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Interview with FS CEO: Loyalty Program coming?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:08 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Just saw this interview with J. Allen Smith on Skift.

Lots of fluffy PR talking points in here, but a few interesting nuggets.

On an upcoming loyalty program:

Smith: You will hear, over the course of the near term, our talking about programs related to recognition that we will be undertaking, but again, as I said, it is focused on the distinction between recognition and rewards. One is recognizing you, understanding your distinct preferences and desires and being able to accommodate those, as opposed to a points-based program. I actually think it’s very compatible with what our guests are actually looking for.

Skift: Does that mean that you’re thinking of rolling something out that is a rethink of loyalty programs, or is that just saying that you are going to focus on that?

Smith: I anticipate our rolling out a program that is focused on recognition. Look, there are clearly brands with very effective loyalty programs. They work for them. I think what we’re focused on is developing a program that is clearly compatible and reflective of what Four Seasons represents and how Four Seasons engages with its customers and what Four Seasons customers value the most. Consistently in our engagement with our guests and talking to them, it’s those elements of recognition that they’re looking for as opposed to points that translate into free nights.
Doesn't sound like it'll be any time soon, but interesting nonetheless.

Full interview here.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I feel like this has been floated, almost consistently, for the past 10+ years...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Four Seasons business is definitely being affected by other hotel brands loyalty programs, particularly SPG. In a city where there is a Four Seasons and a St. Regis next to each other, and the prices are similar. I will choose the St. Regis because of the benefits their loyalty program gives me.

Its going to be interesting to see how Four Seasons balances the benefits it gives to a FS loyalty program with FHR, Virtuoso, and FSPP travel agents. If Four Seasons offers a loyalty program which mimics the benefits offered by booking via FHR, Virtuoso, and FSPP, its possible those booking agencies will lose business and that Four Seasons might lose a pipeline of guest referrals.

Pure speculation and I can't guess a timeline, but I think that this new data collection point/program is part of a process of FS moving towards a public offering.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Have a look at RC. They have also a loyality program and RC Stars + Virtuoso, FHR etc
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Four Seasons business is definitely being affected by other hotel brands loyalty programs, particularly SPG. In a city where there is a Four Seasons and a St. Regis next to each other, and the prices are similar. I will choose the St. Regis because of the benefits their loyalty program gives me.
At the same time, one of the reasons choosing FS is easy for me is precisely because there is no loyalty program. When I go to an FS currently, I don't have to worry about not getting treated well because I'm not an elite.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
At the same time, one of the reasons choosing FS is easy for me is precisely because there is no loyalty program. When I go to an FS currently, I don't have to worry about not getting treated well because I'm not an elite.
+1.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

I tend to agree.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
On the other side of the coin, Four Seasons will always always get paid revenue stay from me. If it's a Park Hyatt or St. Regis I'll always try to figure out how to get a booking on points, points and cash or something where I'm not paying full revenue. And, maybe that's the reason that FS is just a step above the rest of the pack. So, in my mind a loyalty program for the FS would not be in their best interest. However, some sort of recognition for frequent guests (upgrade, FSjunkies T-shirt?) would be great. One thing that would be really great is that they all knew that L'Occitane products and FDW do not get along (some sort of allergy) so just go ahead and send up the alternate products. I hate having to always note or ask....

FDW
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+3

This is a major deciding item for me.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:56 am

Fully agree. One of the hallmarks of a true luxury hotel in my mind is that every guest is treated well.

I am also a member of Starwood Preferred Guest, and I do appreciate "preferred" treatment. However, "preferred" is a relative term - it always means preferred relative to something/someone else.

Of course also luxury hotels can provide special amenities to regulars, but they shouldn't send the official message via a loyalty program that they prefer some guests over others.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by kamel123
Fully agree. One of the hallmarks of a true luxury hotel in my mind is that every guest is treated well.

Of course also luxury hotels can provide special amenities to regulars, but they shouldn't send the official message via a loyalty program that they prefer some guests over others.
I have been treated better by Four Seasons than I ever have by any chain that has a "loyalty program." FS does provide amenities, upgrades, and more to its regular guests - they just don't give you a membership number or "elite" status.

I don't think true loyalty can be measured as a function of nights stayed per year with a particular chain. By not having a standardized program for guest recognition, individual properties and management have discretion over whom to upgrade or to extend other amenities.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
I'm under the impression that the average luxury traveler on this forum will chose to stay in their preferred hotel in any given city regardless of branding, that might mean the Pen in Hong Kong, Le Maurice in Paris and the FS Beverly Hills and The Mark in NYC where as I have many friends who won't visit a destination without an SPG property.

Also, with the exception of points I get all the benefits of a loyalty program by booking through a preferred travel agent, free breakfast, upgrade if available etc. The one thing that I get at luxury properties is that I never get at an SPG is that when I check out, the staff often really makes me feel like I'm saying goodbye to someone who cares about me as a person and is truly looking forward to my next visit.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The institution of a rewards or point based program at the Four Seasons doesn't necessitate that the company reduce its level of service, or make the staff any less warm or sincere. On the contrary, the Four Seasons could be rectifying one of their few weaknesses which is providing recognition for frequent guests across their hotels, and collecting as well as acting upon easily accessible/collectible data such as FDW's shampoo preference.

Many guests of FS probably don't think of this because it isn't a publicized FS program but there is already a hierarchy of guests, like St. Regis/Ritz-Carlton, strongly affected by how much the guests pay/spend/loyalty and which travel agent made the booking.

What I appreciate at Four Seasons, and which would not be affected by a published loyalty program, is that I'm happy even with the entry level accommodations and the entry level of service they give to every guest. I do not feel this way about the entry level offerings of rooms and service at most Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis hotels.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
guest.historian at fourseasons.com

Guest Reservation System ("GUESTres
Booking Profile, Guest Service Profile
Guest Profile

How do I access my Personal Information?
...You may make a request to the CIS Leader at the Hotel
...contacting our Corporate Guest Historian
http://www.fourseasons.com/privacy/
theyve had Guest Historian for a while >

https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/tanya-dzik/10/966/122
Guest Historian
Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
November 2001 – June 2002
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:48 pm

Curious to see how this differs from the "ByInvitation" program, from which I oddly enough just received an email about my soon-to-expire upgrade credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.