The Amankora Journey (Bhutan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Amankora Journey (Bhutan)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by reigndrop
get an e visa - the airport is a total snoozefest. i'd email Oberoi Guargon and see if you can work out a special rate to rest, lounge etc until your next flight
The Oberoi is a good idea - not very far from the airport and a nice pool/good food. Very relaxing.

You could also try a high-end travel agent/guide to see if they will take you on a whirlwind trip of Delhi for a few hours. There seem to be a lot of companies offering half day tours. Make sure they don't include shopping/dinner tourist traps.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Can't believe I'm only a month away from Amankora.

Any activities you would highly recommend while in Bhutan? Any particular lodges for spa? Would love any input on anything I should be aware of prior to and during the trip.

Will get India visa as recommended here.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by SP03

Any activities you would highly recommend while in Bhutan? Any particular lodges for spa? Would love any input on anything I should be aware of prior to and during the trip.

really enjoyed sauna at Paro so definitely do that. the food is incredible and can be very local if you want it to be so bring your appetite.

obviously do the tigers nest hike. punakha is beautiful and has its own microclimate since it's at lower elevation - hopefully that lodge is on your list.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by SP03

Ask for the best local bar (ideally with a pool table) and visit late. Best way to found out what Bhutan is all about. Don't just stick to what is recommended.

Also interesting could be a visit with a local architect as buildings in Bhutan have to be constructed using traditional techniques. Especially if they can take you to a construction site.

If sick use antibiotics immediately. Food poisoning is a real possibility.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thanks for all the amazing tips here, especially Luxefarer. I'm leaving in a few days. Based on the suggestions here, I'm flying into and out of Delhi and spending 14 nights in the 5 lodges.

Will be arriving late in Delhi, so taking a quick nap at the Holiday Inn Express on the terminal side of DEL, then take the 4:10 am Drukair flight to Paro.

Here are a few things I've booked in additional to the usual daily hikes:

Thimphu 2 nights - spa
Punakha 3 nights - cooking class, "holistic" massage
Gangtey 3 nights - potato shed dinner, hot stone bath
Bumthang 3 nights - Bhutanese name-giving ceremony
Paro 3 nights - Tiger's nest

We have a long layover in Delhi on return but I have a guide and room booked at the Imperial Hotel. This is my first time in Delhi, so I'm thinking about venturing out for some sightseeing. Maybe Qutab Minar and Humayun’s Tomb? I see the Red Fort may be too hot in the afternoon?

Please let me know if there's anything else I should try or experience for my likely only time in Bhutan.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I was last in Bhutan some years ago, but I had quite a fun night “out” to a karaoke bar which played Bhutanese music (which I must say I’m not sure is well suited to karaoke) in Thimphu.

Bhutan is quite sparsely populated and the tourist experience is very “clean”. I found it interesting to see people doing something other than farming or praying.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

Each lodge offers an activity from every night to every other night. It might be a dance program. It might be a lecture about the GNH, Gross National Happiness score. Participate in everything that is offered. We really enjoyed each.
SP03 and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:46 pm

If you are able to spare the time, going to the monastery to cook food for the monks, and going to the elementary school are fantastic activities in Gangtey. Those were the highlights of our visit.
SP03 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:03 pm

Thanks. How does the tipping work? I believe there is a guide and a driver. How much per day is appropriate?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:10 pm

We gave 100 per day to the guide and 50 per day to the driver.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Safe to say that only Americans will bring that level of tipping culture as it doesn't otherwise exist in Bhutan or in the countries that the rest of their tourists come from. I'd say that tips are not expected (except for guides/ drivers oriented towards HNW American tourists), but that your guide, driver and others you experience would no doubt appreciate well intended gifts (incl. of cash) if provided.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:22 am

Currently on day 4 of my journey and want to share some initial thoughts. This is my first Aman outside of the US (Amangiri) and the service is simply incredible.

Paro - We were actually on our way to Thimphu from the airport when we expressed our disappointment that we didn't time it properly to coincide with the Paro Tshechu Festival when we will be in Paro. The guide initially suggested that we could come back the next day from Thimphu, then he thought it may be better if we just go there since we are already there. He made some calls and our car quickly turned around towards the Paro lodge. We were welcomed in for breakfast and offered shower in the spa if we wanted. The weather was nice, so we sat outside, and the view was spectacular. You have the stream in front of you, with a monastery in the backdrop and snowcapped mountains in distance. Afterwards, we explored the property and checked out the spa area. The lounge area has huge windows overlooking the Himalayas. Amankora has a huge selection of teas which we enjoyed trying there (and over the next few days). About two hours later the driver took us to the festival. The crowd was massive, and it was fun to be there, but too be honest, we got bored pretty quickly. I'm glad we didn't switch around our itinerary just for the festival. I think it's one of those things that are fun to see, but definitely not worth budgeting more than half a day or even planning the trip around it. The Paro Dzongkhag next to it was more interesting. Then we were off to Thimphu.

Thimphu - We spent two nights there. I think most people only spend one night there. The vegetable market is definitely a fun detour. By the time, we got to the lodge, it was already 3 pm, so we skipped lunch. The lodge is small but beautiful. The lodge manager was always there, checking on everyone throughout the day. You see her in the morning when you go for breakfast and in the evening before going to bed. She welcomes in all the guests and says goodbye when they leave. Since I'm not used to Amans in Asia, what struck me the most was the housekeeping. They must have entered the room at least 6 times a day. Literally, every time we got back to the room, you see little things in the room being tidied up. All the used towels were replaced. Even on the last day before leaving, they made up the bed while we were at breakfast. We hiked up to the big Buddha the next day. Little did we know while we were hiking, the driver got up to a viewpoint and set up a lovely picnic with snacks and tea. Before we left for Punakha, we stopped by the zoo, which was a highlight and the institute of traditional medicine, which is interesting, but passable. We also stopped by the oldest dzongkhag, which I thought was really interesting and worth a visit. Overall, I think Thimphu is interesting, but if I were short on time, I may skip it. The biggest reason to stay is that it's a good stop on the way to Punakha, to get over jetlag and altitude and the service and food are quite amazing.

Punakha is stunning. The service is just as incredible, but the location and views are so special. So far, this is definitely my favorite of the 3 lodges. There's a lovely pool and the main building is leased from the royal family. I think this is what makes Aman special. We decided to take a hike to the lake and have a picnic there. It's not an easy hike with some mud, but you are rewarded with a spectacular view. We were the only people on the entire hike today, other than a dog who decided to join us for the entire 3 hour journey! When you get to the lake, you see lots of traditional flags there. I was thinking to myself that I should've brought the flags I got as welcome gift when you arrive at Punakha, then magically the guide came over with some flags that we could hang up. That's Aman magic!
Fliar and luxefarer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:14 am

Glad to see you're having a good time - Amankora was my first Aman and I think the service is what Aman's across the board used to represent versus what it's fallen today
livefromtuscany and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:31 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by reigndrop
Glad to see you're having a good time - Amankora was my first Aman and I think the service is what Aman's across the board used to represent versus what it's fallen today
exactly my thoughts. Amankora is everything Aman once was. I can’t wait to visit in June. It’s the last Aman I’m interested in experiencing. Don’t care at all for the new ones.
Fliar and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:06 pm

Heading to Amankora in April (Paro, Thimpu, Phunaka, and Gangtey). Any advice on which of the lodges I should schedule my massage in? Any other activities you all found worth while and must do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.