Wiki Posts
Search

The Amankora Journey (Bhutan)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:54 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Hi DavidO,
I really enjoyed reading your report as I am currently planning a trip to Bhutan for this April/May. I have a couple of questions for you as well. My husband and I only have 13 nights after accounting for the flights from NYC and we will route through Singapore. I am debating spending the full time in Bhutan and visiting all the lodges or just doing a 7 day visit combined with a 6 day visit to Amankila/Amandari in Bali. I am worried that the travel from lodge to lodge for the full time might not leave enough downtime for us. Which lodges would you recommend for a 7 night Amankora journey?

Also did you have an oppty to check out the Como properties while you were there? I am wondering how the experience compares to the Aman? I love the Aman brand but was curious how the other luxury properties there compared. Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Our trip was sponsored by Aman, so I didn't have a chance to see the COMO properties. If you do all Aman, you have the same Aman guide throughout. If you mix-and-match properties, you'd have to use a third party to organize the guides and transfers.

My initial response would be not try to combine Bali and Bhutan on the same trip, especially with only 13 nights.

Originally Posted by chelsea2
Hi DavidO,
I really enjoyed reading your report as I am currently planning a trip to Bhutan for this April/May. I have a couple of questions for you as well. My husband and I only have 13 nights after accounting for the flights from NYC and we will route through Singapore. I am debating spending the full time in Bhutan and visiting all the lodges or just doing a 7 day visit combined with a 6 day visit to Amankila/Amandari in Bali. I am worried that the travel from lodge to lodge for the full time might not leave enough downtime for us. Which lodges would you recommend for a 7 night Amankora journey?

Also did you have an oppty to check out the Como properties while you were there? I am wondering how the experience compares to the Aman? I love the Aman brand but was curious how the other luxury properties there compared. Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You couldn't see Bhutan like David did in 6 days. I was only there for 5 and would have loved to have at least double. Why not stay in Singapore for a couple of days enjoying a spa and 5* hotel room before your Bhutan visit?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
new low season at amankora >
http://www.amanresorts.com/amankora/rates.aspx
$2,050 ($14,350 7 nights) regular
$1,306 ($14,366 11 nights) low season
Originally Posted by Larkin
We visited a school there which was really special as well. Some if the children walk (we would say hike), 2+ hours each way to get there.
Originally Posted by greg99
I think it will be a while before we make it there, due to kids
re taking children to bhutan >
http://www.sophyroberts.com/assets/w...%20article.pdf

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 8, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:19 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Thanks for the replies DavidO and EuropeanPete! We decided to stay the entire trip in Bhutan doing the Amankora Journey for 12 nights, 2 nights in Thimpu and Punakha, followed by 3 nights each in Gangtey and Bumthang (flying from Bumthang to Paro) then 2 nights in Paro. We are flying in via Bangkok and home via Singapore with 1 night in each of these locations at the respective Mandarin Oriental. Trip is planned for late April early May - will post on the experience when I return.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:02 pm

Great! I'm thinking of going in June, potentially, and am looking forward to your report.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: AsiaMiles
Hello! Is the low season rate at Amankora available each year, or is 2015 an exception in any way?

Can't wait to go to Bhutan sometime ...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by biebster
Hello! Is the low season rate at Amankora available each year, or is 2015 an exception in any way?

Can't wait to go to Bhutan sometime ...
low season is brand new, under new aman corporate owners

no way to know, even if there had not been ownership change
(kind of the same way with rate increases/decreases each year)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
any thoughts on how to breakup 10 days in amankora?

is 10 days the right amount or too long? and 2 nights at each property or is there another combination someone would recommend? thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by DrGiggles
is 10 days the right amount or too long? and 2 nights at each property or is there another combination someone would recommend? thanks!
Two nights at each property is a recommended minimum — some will add a third day in Paro.

The reason is that the driving times are so long. One day stays don't make sense... and you definitely want to get to Bumthang, the most remote but also the most beautiful of the valleys.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

+1^

I would probably drop Thimphu and add one night at Paro and Bumthang.
There is also a domestic Paro - Bumthang flight now, so can save on some driving time.

Originally Posted by DavidO
Two nights at each property is a recommended minimum — some will add a third day in Paro.

The reason is that the driving times are so long. One day stays don't make sense... and you definitely want to get to Bumthang, the most remote but also the most beautiful of the valleys.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by halibahs
+1^

I would probably drop Thimphu and add one night at Paro and Bumthang.
There is also a domestic Paro - Bumthang flight now, so can save on some driving time.
Thanks. Could you elaborate on why?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:11 pm

Thimphu is quite populated by Bhutan standard, and is not as "serene/idyllic" as the other more remote locations such as Gangtey and Bumthang. I find it similar to Paro in some ways. It has a few temples, museum and the "busiest" traffic junction in Bhutan. The tourist spots can be seen in a day easily.

It is on the way between the drive from Paro to Punakha, so it is possible to visit the sights and have lunch at Thimphu lodge without staying overnight. I think the driving time from Paro to Thimphu is about 1 hr and Thimphu to Punakha is 1.5 - 2hrs. A nice break between the twisty turny drive...

Another option if you are keen to stay at Thimphu, is to go directly from airport to Thimphu after landing and have a night there, before pushing on to Punakha.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:39 pm

Thanks so much halibahs. This is great. Of the remaining four, do you have strong views on which ones youd add an extra night to? (3 nights vs 2)'
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:31 am

If I am planning a return trip to Bhutan for 10 nights, my itinerary will probably look like this:
1st nt - Thimphu
2nd -3rd nt - Punakha
3rd - 4th nt - Gangtey
5th - 7th nt - Bumthang
Internal flight from Bumthang back to Paro
8th - 10th nt - Paro

If I'm skipping Thimphu, I would probably add one night in Gangtey which is absolutely stunning....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.