Wiki Posts
Search

Oberoi Amarvillas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:10 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It’s that bad? There seems to be a strong consensus that this is a property geared toward short stays. Normally I have no problem killing some time with spa treatments and some relaxation in addition to attractions and activities. Seems like I should definitely stay for two or three nights, which for me is a short stay. One night is out of the question.
We enjoyed our two-night stay at the Oberoi Amarvilas, and could've easily been happy staying there for a longer period of time. The problem lies in the fact that most people have finite time for vacations, and India has a wealth of awesome places that are worth visiting.

Given that, I'd recommend 2 nights at the Amarvilas. Btw, Fatehpur Sikri is an overlooked gem that is definitely worth visiting, which is the reason we stayed in Agra for two nights (rather than one.)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We enjoyed our two-night stay at the Oberoi Amarvilas, and could've easily been happy staying there for a longer period of time. The problem lies in the fact that most people have finite time for vacations, and India has a wealth of awesome places that are worth visiting.

Given that, I'd recommend 2 nights at the Amarvilas. Btw, Fatehpur Sikri is an overlooked gem that is definitely worth visiting, which is the reason we stayed in Agra for two nights (rather than one.)
Thank you. I plan to be in India for about a month, so I am fine with a more leisurely pace. I really do not like hopping too quickly from one hotel to another.

India has an incredible number of wonderful places to go, so I will pick a handful of places to prioritize and plan on returning in the future to see more.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:45 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

It’s that bad? There seems to be a strong consensus that this is a property geared toward short stays. Normally I have no problem killing some time with spa treatments and some relaxation in addition to attractions and activities. Seems like I should definitely stay for two or three nights, which for me is a short stay. One night is out of the question.
I'm all for long stays and I often hate the "10 night north India tour" across about 5 places as I think you just aren't getting much out of it. I generally think you need minimum 3, probably 4-5 nights in many places depending on what you want to do, and especially in India, accounting for traveling time and the exhaustion from traveling, and also finding time to do both activities and relax.

This is one I'd happily make an exception for.

The issue is that there just isn't much to Agra, and it really isn't a great place to be (i.e. there are no attractions that can't be done in a 1-2 night stay). 3 is really, really stretching it, even with spas etc.

Looking at it another way, the extra 3rd or 4th night you would spend in Agra at Oberoi Amarvilas would be better used elsewhere to relax or explore the area or do another activity.
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:02 am

Thanks for the advice, chinmoylad. Since my time is not particularly limited, an additional night does not really shorten any other part of the trip. Three nights is really the minimum for me, as that means two full days at the hotel. I usually can’t do much of anything on travel days except move from one place to another.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Thanks for the advice, chinmoylad. Since my time is not particularly limited, an additional night does not really shorten any other part of the trip. Three nights is really the minimum for me, as that means two full days at the hotel. I usually can’t do much of anything on travel days except move from one place to another.
Where else are you planning to visit on your trip?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Where else are you planning to visit on your trip?
Rajasthan, Amanbagh and Aman-i-khas
Udaipur, Taj Lake Palace
Delhi, undecided

Will look to possibly add another heritage Taj or Oberoi destination or otherwise cultural destination(s)

Then for a change of pace, probably relaxation in Goa at the W. I realise nothing there is really high end, but want the experience.

Do you have any suggestions of what to add?

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 7, 2018 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:22 am

Jaipur, Taj Lake Palace
Delhi, undecided

Will look to possibly add another heritage Taj or Oberoi destination or otherwise cultural destination(s)

Then for a change of pace, probably relaxation in Goa at the W. I realise nothing there is really high end, but want the experience.

Did you mean Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, as Taj's Jaipur property is Rambagh Palace?

I would avoid Taj Lake Palace Udaipur, as it is looking very tired. Much better would be The Oberoi Udaivilas.

Also, in Jaipur, The Oberoi Rajvilas is currently a much better option than Taj Rambagh Palace.

In Delhi, the two best options are The Leela Palace Delhi and The Oberoi New Delhi.

In Goa, The Leela Palace Goa works very well if you take one of their standalone butler-serviced villlas.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Jaipur, Taj Lake Palace
Delhi, undecided

I’d recommend the Oberoi Udaivilas over the Taj Lake Palace—unless you plan to book one of the specialty suites at the Taj. The Taj is supposed to be quite tired and wearisome otherwise. We loved our stay at the Oberoi.

I think you’ve confused the Taj Rambagh Palace in Jaipur with the Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur, too. We actually didn’t bother to stay in Jaipur since we wanted to experience more of rural India and did so with 4 nights at Amanbagh. While we didn’t love Amanbagh as much as others, we still really enjoyed our stay.

We loved our stay at the Lodhi in New Delhi. Everyone is so up on the Oberoi and Leela and Imperial...but we loved the Aman-esque ambience with modern clean design and wonderful service. The location really was convenient for us, too.

If you want a Taj heritage property, I highly recommend the Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace—one of the best hotels we’ve enjoyed anywhere. We weren’t as big fans of Jodhpur as a destination, but that hotel is sublime. Alternatively, we absolutely loved Varanasi as a destination—it was our favorite in India—and we really liked the boutique Taj Nadesar Palace there.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Did you mean Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, as Taj's Jaipur property is Rambagh Palace?

I would avoid Taj Lake Palace Udaipur, as it is looking very tired. Much better would be The Oberoi Udaivilas.

Also, in Jaipur, The Oberoi Rajvilas is currently a much better option than Taj Rambagh Palace.

In Delhi, the two best options are The Leela Palace Delhi and The Oberoi New Delhi.

In Goa, The Leela Palace Goa works very well if you take one of their standalone butler-serviced villlas.
Yes, of course, Taj Lake Palace Udaipur. Thank you for your advice re Udaivilas. As always, your advice is absolutely invaluable and spot on. I think you just helped me to figure out the rest of this trip. I will just have to figure out how to string together this itinerary and figure out transportation.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’d recommend the Oberoi Udaivilas over the Taj Lake Palace—unless you plan to book one of the specialty suites at the Taj. The Taj is supposed to be quite tired and wearisome otherwise. We loved our stay at the Oberoi.

I think you’ve confused the Taj Rambagh Palace in Jaipur with the Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur, too. We actually didn’t bother to stay in Jaipur since we wanted to experience more of rural India and did so with 4 nights at Amanbagh. While we didn’t love Amanbagh as much as others, we still really enjoyed our stay.

We loved our stay at the Lodhi in New Delhi. Everyone is so up on the Oberoi and Leela and Imperial...but we loved the Aman-esque ambience with modern clean design and wonderful service. The location really was convenient for us, too.

If you want a Taj heritage property, I highly recommend the Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace—one of the best hotels we’ve enjoyed anywhere. We weren’t as big fans of Jodhpur as a destination, but that hotel is sublime. Alternatively, we absolutely loved Varanasi as a destination—it was our favorite in India—and we really liked the boutique Taj Nadesar Palace there.
Yes, Udaivilas it is then. It also seems to have lower rates, so that is clearly the best option.

Thanks so much for the advice on the Taj Heritage properties you mention. Coupled with vuittonsofstyle’s advice above, all of this information is like gold^

I agree the Lodhi is beautiful, a really special former Aman urban resort.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:41 am

Yes, Udaivilas it is then. It also seems to have lower rates, so that is clearly the best option.

Thanks so much for the advice on the Taj Heritage properties you mention. Coupled with vuittonsofstyle’s advice above, all of this information is like gold^

I would be careful with The Lodhi these days - it is not what it was when Robyn Bickford ran it.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I would be careful with The Lodhi these days - it is not what it was when Robyn Bickford ran it.
I can’t speak to the days of Robyn, I can only speak to the excellent stay we had in Jan 2017. Even with an air con fail the first night, this is a hotel we very much enjoyed and gladly would return to in the future. We had excellent service, including fantastic service recovery from the air con mishap, wonderful food/beverage, an amazing modern room/suite with private pool, etc.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:44 pm

I can’t speak to the days of Robyn, I can only speak to the excellent stay we had in Jan 2017. Even with an air con fail the first night, this is a hotel we very much enjoyed and gladly would return to in the future. We had excellent service, including fantastic service recovery from the air con mishap, wonderful food/beverage, an amazing modern room/suite with private pool, etc.
+1 to The Lodhi. Really spectacular service, and the property/architecture is beautiful.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:11 pm

I whole heartedly agree with the above user's opinion. I had a two night stay at the Oberoi Udaivilas and then two nights Taj Lake Palace and after one night at TLP I went back to Udaivilas. I was in a luxury suite at Udaivilas with private heated swimming pool. The semi private pool villas are not heated. And at the TLP I was upgraded to a royal suite with a swing inside the room (which was kind of cool).

However in terms of service no one is as good as the Oberoi. They are truly special. You will not regret booking a stay there. The staff are all one of a kind.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:14 pm

Introduction My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Oberoi Amarvilas after previous stops in New Delhi (The Lodhi), Jodhpur (Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace), Udaipur (Oberoi Udaivilas), and Varanasi (Taj Nadesar Palace). We assumed the extra night would allow us plenty of chances to see the Taj Mahal, which was the only reason for our visit. We were right!This was the only hotel in India where we didn't have a suite--though we also had not paid for a suite at the other Oberoi Udaivilas but were fortunate to get a suite upgrade. Considering the next category Deluxe Suite didn't have a balcony, we made the right choice--because the cost difference for the Deluxe Suite with Balcony was patently ridiculous IMO.We didn't take a lot of photos of this hotel...as it lacked the charm and/or character of other hotels we enjoyed IMO. This hotel is by far the nicest luxury hotel in closest proximity to the Taj Mahal, and it knows it. It's all about the Taj Mahal...and the prices reflect that demand.Entry drive:Lobby (taken on our departure with our most-helpful hotel employee!):View from our room onto the pool deck: Check In Check in was a bit messy--not unlike at the Oberoi Udaivilas. (A pattern or coincidence? We never will know.)We were greeted by the hotel manager, whom I had contacted a month before our stay in the hope that we might get an upgrade. Not that lucky. But he graciously offered any assistance, and was extremely friendly and welcoming. Then we were brough to our Premier Room with Balcony, which unfortunately was located directly across from the elevators on the 3rd floor. The balcony was enormous...but the room location was not to our liking. Then we realized the air con had not been preset to 17-18 C as requested--it was actually 22 C in the room. They moved us quickly to another Premier Room with Balcony more to the end of the hallway on the 4th floor. While the balcony wasn't as large, we liked the room and it was considerably cooler already at 20 C. They promised us it would drop to 17-18 C...but it never did. Room Our second Premier Room with Balcony was more than sufficient if not overly spacious:But the view was nice!Not the biggest room, but a fairly comfortable one--with the single exception of the air con, which didn't work so well our first night and failed completely for our second night.On check out, we expressed our dismay at the air con failure and mentioned the same happening at The Lodhi--which had refunded a half night in compensation. The Amarvilas manager agreed to refund a full night's stay in compensatio despite our asking only for the half night, so we felt the matter was handled generously. That being said, I am quite surprised that the hotel could not cool as well as every other hotel at which we stayed. Service Service was actually quite good overall--in spite of the air con issues (not being preset as requested, and air con failing completely for our second night). The staff really tried to go out of their way to help us, even if they didn't always get it right.We had room service on our second night, and the set-up was a bit of a disaster. The attendant was either inexperienced or unaware that he had set the table improperly--which almost spilled our entire meal in my lap about 10 minutes into the meal! Fortunately, my quick reflexes saved the day. But I wasn't amused.On the other hand, I was still recovering from a strep throat situation and the effect of the antibiotic, causing me some intestinal distress. One particular hotel employee was fabulous--getting us the doctor, getting someone to pick up presriptions from the pharmacy, and delivering them to us wherever we happened to be on property. She followed up with us on several occasions, making sure I was feeling better and checking if I might need anything else. We were very impressed. She was fantastic.They also made sure to send greetings for my birthday (even though it was several days prior) and our anniversary:For our final night: So while our service wasn't quite perfect, we still had a fantastic service experience--even with the misses. That's saying something to us! Dining Dining was quite good at the hotel.At the hotel's Indian restaurant:Our room service dinner on our final night (before the table nearly collapsed!):Breakfasts were also very good.All in all, food and beverage were quite good. Location You can't beat the location just in front of the Taj Mahal. It was an easy 15 minute walk to the gate, or you could ride the hotel's transport/tuk-tuk as you preferred. We did both.Otherwise, it is a crowded and crazy location because of the nightmarish traffic and throngs coming in and out to see the Taj. Overall We enjoyed our stay at the Amarvilas, though its proximity to the Taj Mahal is its biggest plus IMO. While service could be extraordinary, there were some lapses and misses. And an air con fail is never too impressive. Unlike the Lodhi, where the air con failure was due to a random power issue, I get the sense from the 2 rooms that this hotel has air con issues in general...so I caution people in that regard.
Its interesting- My room and esp my bathroom looked so different than your pictures. I wonder if they are slowly renovating the rooms- room by room. I didn't even recognize that your pics were of amarvilas at first- lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.