Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Does Trip Advisor have aught to say to Lux Travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Trip Advisor have aught to say to Lux Travelers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:32 am

With the majority here, a useful resource.

The ranking system is about votes, not about quality. So if every backpacker finds the local dump amazing (in terms of value, for example), then it will be #1. It's not about the best hotel in town, quality wise. It's about the hotel people like the most. Both tend to go together generally, but not always. Most of the hotels discussed in this forum are well ranked on TA.

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
TripAdvisor is totally and completely worthless. I can look at pictures on Google. I never go over to TA other than to look at the shockingly large number of fake reviews.
How do you know they are fake?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The worth of Trip Advisor has been discussed most recently in this continuing thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...formation.html
Older discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ipadvisor.html
There are others.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by alf_fly
With the majority here, a useful resource.

The ranking system is about votes, not about quality. So if every backpacker finds the local dump amazing (in terms of value, for example), then it will be #1. It's not about the best hotel in town, quality wise. It's about the hotel people like the most. Both tend to go together generally, but not always. Most of the hotels discussed in this forum are well ranked on TA.

How do you know they are fake?
This has been discussed Ad nauseam in other threads. Go here to start:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17942256-post27.html
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

because behavior in luxury hotels forum is so sophisticated and polite, and many here do not read other forums, many here are not aware of the extent of 'guerilla marketing' (etc) as well as "trolling" (etc) that exists on the internet.

just because something is not "fake" by the definition of "fake" does not mean it is "real" as it is presented.

see the very end of this thread >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
post lists EVERY thread on tripadvisor etc in this forum >

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 21, 2014 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
In short, I'll peruse TA to help decided between a few hotels, or to choose a hotel for which this FT forum would be of no help - e.g. Gila Bend, AZ USA … good luck finding anything on FT about that!
I've been to Gila Bend - went there to investigate a bizarre Hollywood death and stayed at the Travelodge Inn which was the scene of the incident. Back then it was OK - quintessential roadside Americana - but now it's Knights Inn and gets a bad rating on TA!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:41 am

Trip advisor offers some valuable information if you find reviews from reliable posters, especially those who have included pictures of accommodation and hotel/resort grounds. the only time I use it is when looking for real life photographs of a property I have never been to before. I would never rely on Trip Advisor as a primary source of travel advice or recommendations.

I couldn't believe it when Four Seasons started to display Trip advisor review excerpts on its on their website. I hope they have stopped doing that as it really dumbed down the website IMO.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hyatt keep sending me emails asking me to review my latest stay on TA. I once replied that the association with TA was a questionable thing.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I find TripAdvisor very useful, but you do need to be quite sophisticated in how you read it. It can be a good way to get a "feel" for a property and its location (logistics) - I also find it great for independent mid-priced hotels in less fashionable places: I've found it very useful in Nepal, Burma, Northern India and Sicily to name a few and have stayed at some amazing places.

High up in the rankings usually does mean a hotel is doing reasonably well for its category (and/ or is top end) which is good to know, and I've found quickly checking the worst and best reviews tends to be a reasonably reliable way of finding what the major positives and negatives of the property are.

I've found it less useful in mainstream luxury hotels because there are better sources out there (FT is perhaps the best) and because of the lower signal to noise ratio where so many people are just giving their feelings about staying in any luxury hotel. Maybe people have some hints about what they can get from TripAdvisor in this area?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I've been to Gila Bend - went there to investigate a bizarre Hollywood death and stayed at the Travelodge Inn which was the scene of the incident. Back then it was OK - quintessential roadside Americana - but now it's Knights Inn and gets a bad rating on TA!
We stopped there after visiting Organ Pipe Cactus National Park - an incredible experience, especially at sunset - and stayed at a 60s style space lodge (now Best Western branded), which was an absolute kitschy blast … pardon the pun.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I couldn't believe it when Four Seasons started to display Trip advisor review excerpts on its on their website. I hope they have stopped doing that as it really dumbed down the website IMO.
Agreed. I find the new website a shamble. They've really made a hash of it.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Hyatt keep sending me emails asking me to review my latest stay on TA.
This would prompt an email to regional/global management.

That. is. obnoxious.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 pm

So far, I've reviewed 123 hotels on TripAdvisor and in all the 8-9 years of TA I have never, ever, been solicited for a review, though I am noticing an increasing number of TA Awards stickers at various hotels and, also, those links to TA on hotel sites, including Four Seasons.

So, picture the scene:

INT. LOBBY. FOUR SEASONS BY THE BOSPHORUS
Reservations Agent:
I hope you enjoyed your stay with us Ms Muddlehirst.

Lynne Muddlehirst:
It was superb. I loved the Rose wine and the organic masseur and the Tod's shop.

Reservations Agent (smirking):
I'm so pleased. Perhaps you might like to write a review for TripAdvisor.

Lynne Muddlehirst:
Trip who????

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 18, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
So far, I've reviewed 123 hotels on TripAdvisor and in all the 8-9 years of TA I have never, ever, been solicited for a review, though I am noticing an increasing number of TA Awards stickers at various hotels and, also, those links to TA on hotel sites, including Four Seasons.

So, picture the scene:

INT. LOBBY. FOUR SEASONS BY THE BOSPHORUS
Reservations Agent:
I hope you enjoyed your stay with us Ms Muddlehirst.

Lynne Muddlehirst:
It was superb. I loved the Rose wine and the organic masseur and the Tod's shop.

Reservations Agent (smirking):
I'm so pleased. Perhaps you might like to write a review for TripAdvisor.

Lynne Muddlehirst:
Trip who????

What's your point Pausanius? Have you purposly misspelled her name, or am I missing something?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many things exist that one has not experienced first hand

MikeFromTokyo, you missed the point of the joke - good hotels dont ask (good quests)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:06 pm

many things exist that one has not experienced first hand

MikeFromTokyo, you missed the point of the joke - good hotels dont ask (good quests)
I see - sorry I missed the point - of course good hotels would never ask a guest to write a trip advisor review! It never even occurred to me that some hotels might ask guests to do so.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I see - sorry I missed the point - of course good hotels would never ask a guest to write a trip advisor review! It never even occurred to me that some hotels might ask guests to do so.
I think this depends on how it is done.

My understanding from the friends I have in the hotel business is that the weight of TA reviews is disproportional for some customers in choosing a hotel.

So- if a hotel- discreetly- writes on a customer feedback response- if you would like to share your experience with TA please click the link here- with a link- that is OK in my book. What is definitely not OK are the hotels which have the "WRITE US A POSITIVE TA REVIEW AND RECEIVE A FREE ...." which I find to be horribly offensive.

I have seen even the best hotels using the first point- discreet link- which I think is OK and I do participate in from time to time (not often though).
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:15 am

I find TA to be great for specific things. Here are the ways I like to use it:

1) Coverage - TA has such great coverage that they will have some reviews on really remote hotels. While FT is great on luxury hotels, not every town has luxury hotels.

2) Photos - I always look at photos of hotels before booking since I want to get a "feel" for the hotel. I don't like very old classical decor and stuffy settings and this help me to avoid them.

3) Details - I also look at the most negative reviews for the drawbacks of specific hotels. While people sometimes have random gripes, the level of detail available on a property can be quite amazing and helps one to avoid getting a room in the basement or looking out to a parking lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.