Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

US road trip between luxury hotels - ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US road trip between luxury hotels - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
Thanks for the links and for pointing out that it was not a link to a complete thread (otherwise I would not even have clicked on it!)
its worth holding mouse over link to see where link leads to
the way flyertalk displays links can be good or bad, depending

ive updated some of my post links (after switching computers)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:30 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by robyng
Deer Valley is very convenient to Salt Lake City - about a 40 minute drive - so it's easy to take a day trip there. Salt Lake City isn't the most thrilling city in the world - but there's certainly enough to keep someone busy for a day or two. We particularly enjoyed watching the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearse and exploring the genealogical library (perhaps the best in the world)*:
I agree PC has some nice Resorts. My Problem is (like to do a vacation like I recommended in the next years), that the region doesn`t look as stunning as I will stay gere 3 nights. Problem is that time is limited and I would have a Problem even integrate everything in 3 weeks.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

The problem with Kiawah is it's not that convenient to downtown. And many of the restaurants one might want to try and/or things one might want to see are downtown. Also - the traffic/parking downtown is pretty awful. On our last trip - a couple of years ago - we walked and took pedicabs almost everywhere (except to see some out-of-downtown gardens) - and that was nice. I would recommend Kiawah only if someone wanted a beach/golf.

BTW - we stayed at one of the few smoking properties in Charleston on our last trip - the Doubletree. Definitely not luxury but great location. Time before that was Charleston Place. Nicer than Doubletree - but not that much nicer. Not enough to justify the price difference IMO (our last trip - during spring high season - the Doubletree was about $150/night and Charleston Place was about $400). But - like I said - I based my decision on the availability of smoking rooms - not price. Robyn
Oh yes Kiawah is most definitely a horrible option if one wants to visit charleston. But it's a reasonable option if ones goal is to visit a luxury hotel near charleston. I will say I was quite surprised by my recent stay at charleston place. I went in with very very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Not bad for a property that used to be an Omni.

FDW
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
What a fab idea

Hi,

We loved our California, Arizona, Amangiri and Vegas road trip this summer, including stays in Four Seasons San Francisco, Bel Air, Amangiri and MO Las Vegas and have already started thinking that we want to do something similar in the US next year - but going another route.

Does any of you have ideas of a nice 2-3 weeks long trip that includes a city or two plus some great nature experiences (beach, mountain, forests or whatever) and of course some luxury hotels on our way? We do not really mind about where - but need to have good summer weather (not San Francisco summer!!), and memorable experiences and hotels.

Lose ideas:
- Starting in San Francisco and visiting Napa Valley, Yosemite and maybe all the way to Amangani. Where would good stops and great hotels be?
- Starting in Los Angeles and going to San Diego and thereafter further, maybe over to Mexico?? Again: Hotels, places to stop etc. would be appreciated.

However, also a completely different part of the US could be interesting. This is just very, very lose planning, trying to see if there is a route with enough to see and enough great hotels making it worthwhile to take a closer look.
Just to say i am bookmarking this post, when you have decided on the final hotel list can you possibly post- this is something i have also always wanted to do and i may well follow in your footsteps!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Just poast my planed itinary (changes from time to time):

Four Seasons Denver
Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch
Amangani or FS Jackson Hole
Grand America Salt Lake City
perhaps LV and/ or Amangiri
Sorell River Ranch
Madeline Telluride
Four Season Santa Fe
The Broadmoor Colorado Springs
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
Just to say i am bookmarking this post, when you have decided on the final hotel list can you possibly post- this is something i have also always wanted to do and i may well follow in your footsteps!
I definitely will do, but it might be that we will only go on such a trip in 2016, not next year. Very very early thought, considering different options at the moment.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by offerendum
I agree PC has some nice Resorts. My Problem is (like to do a vacation like I recommended in the next years), that the region doesn`t look as stunning as I will stay gere 3 nights. Problem is that time is limited and I would have a Problem even integrate everything in 3 weeks.
That's a personal decision for you. What to see - and for how long. Also what you want to do. At my age (pushing 70) - my husband and I have seen enough "rocks" (after multiple trips) to last us for the rest of our lives <LOL>. And we mostly went to this part of the US for skiing and winter sports (taking breaks to look at/explore all those "rocks").

We used to be able to hike - and we did so in various national parks. Can't do that now.

I think no matter where one lives - if one wants to see "the best" - you have to see certain things. Whether it's the most beautiful national parks in the mountain states of the US (and the best are truly spectacular) - or the Pyramids. But there's not necessarily any reason to do it more than once. And one should do things like this when one is young - and can explore on one's own 2 feet.

FWIW - I will cast a vote for our most beautiful national parks in the Rocky Mountains in the US in the winter (Bryce Canyon is perhaps my favorite). They're totally magical then. Dusted with snow and almost empty.

And - if any of you are skiers - this is great ski country too. Very family friendly as well. I've never run across a ski resort that didn't have a "kids ski program". It's a hoot watching all these 5 year olds learning how to ski (they have such a low center of gravity that it's hard for them to hurt themselves even if they're totally uncoordinated - like I am). Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Sep 2, 2014 at 6:38 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

another thread >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ations-us.html

Thanks for the links and for pointing out that it was not a link to a complete thread (otherwise I would not even have clicked on it!)
also, i personally would never link a thread when referring to a single post in that thread
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:47 am
In memoriam

Just poast my planed itinary (changes from time to time):

Four Seasons Denver
Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch
Amangani or FS Jackson Hole
Grand America Salt Lake City
perhaps LV and/ or Amangiri
Sorell River Ranch
Madeline Telluride
Four Season Santa Fe
I would probably stay in Deer Valley as opposed to any place in downtown Salt Lake City (nicer scenery - more "luxury" - etc.). And take a day trip (or two) to Salt Lake City.

Any particular reason you chose Bachelor Gulch over Vail? Robyn
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also in vail, a hotel chalet (unique in US/CA) >
http://arrabelle.rockresorts.com/res...eek-chalet.asp
"2,000 feet above Vail Village...as low as $1200"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I would probably stay in Deer Valley as opposed to any place in downtown Salt Lake City (nicer scenery - more "luxury" - etc.). And take a day trip (or two) to Salt Lake City.

Any particular reason you chose Bachelor Gulch over Vail? Robyn
I already said someting to SLC vs. PC. As it`s a relative short trip (3 weeks) my time is limited and I didn`t not see enough Stones in my life. At the Moment I pushing 35 so I´m not such an experienced traveler.. No chance to relax 1 or 2 days. I intend to reach SLC on the afternoon and leave early.

Bachelor Gulch was my choose because the Presidential Suite was always relative cheap . Vail wasn`t really pampering me. Perhaps I will completely skip this Station if prices raise up after the renovation. Although I perhaps don`t start in Denver because I normally fly with BA and BA offers only a 3-class Service to Denver.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
For a summer visit, the FS in Vail would be a much better choice than the RC Bachelor Gulch. Vail is a much more interesting town than Beaver Creek in the summer even though they are only 10 miles apart.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting developments there >
9 bedroom - fishing camp
16 bedroom - ranch at emerald valley
28 bedroom - cloud camp / lodge

181 room - broadmoor west (has its own check-in)
brownstones (2BR townhouse with garage/elevator)
5BR estate house

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 21, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:14 am

Inspired by the good suggestions upthread (thank you very much) I am actually planning a road trip that includes Charleston and Savannah this Christmas. It will be a December trip and my question is whether it is a good idea to start from or include Blue Ridge Parkway / Pisgah / Asheville as suggested. I imagine that these are very scenic but is that the right season at all? Thank you.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curious to see what seasons the replies recommend
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Asheville
anyone stayed in http://www.biltmore.com/stay/cottage ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 3, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.