Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Short trip report: Andara Resort & Villas, Phuket, Thailand + site visit to Trisara

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short trip report: Andara Resort & Villas, Phuket, Thailand + site visit to Trisara

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:20 am
formerly known as deathscar
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Disclaimer: I was hosted here for several nights for media review, but am not obliged to post any reviews on FT. Tried to be as honest as possible.

Phuket trips usually come down to Amanpuri vs Trisara on this board (and probably rightly so!), but there are few other options out there, each with their own pros and cons. I would say that in terms of hardware (minus the beach club, read on), this is one of the best resorts, certainly in Phuket. My overall conclusion was that staying here felt like staying at a close friend's extremely luxurious holiday home/apartment. Overall, the positives definitely outweigh any potential problems (especially if you aren't looking for a beach..which I'm not too fussy on, particularly knowing that I'm headed to Phuket).

Positives:
- Rooms: Opened in 2010, so you'd expect the rooms to be fantastic, but they're blow-your-mind good. Extremely spacious, well laid out with the latest furnishings and fittings, very elegant and sophisticated decor (quite Aman-like, actually - I think so anyway), heavy on the woods, but definitely has very much an apartment/serviced apartment fitting feel to it. Most room categories come with a private pool (only 'terrace' doesn't). There are 3 types of rooms (suites technically) - terrace, pool and penthouse pool - ranging from 1-4 bedrooms (the larger bedroom suites don't have a terrace suite category, only pool and penthouse pool suite).

As the resort was at low occupancy, we also got a chance to see some of the privately owned villas (3-6 bedrooms) that are further up the hill. These are stunning, and even more 'open' than the suites. The views are particularly good from the villas.

- Location: Kamala headland. A couple of beaches in the vicinity, but none particularly any good. Some food in the area, but again, nothing great. In terms of view and seclusion though, it's a very good location. A few resorts nearby, but not too many...and a fairly quiet area. Not too far from Aman (actually, most of the suites/villas look out onto Aman's headland and you can actually make out the individual Amanpuri suites).

- Food: Dinner in particular at SILK was superb (we never had lunch here). Very good elegant Thai fare. Some of the best I've had in Thailand. I read somewhere that the head chef was poached (pun fully intended) from Amanpuri.

- Service: Pleasant and warm. Never overbearing, and rather friendly. Pleased with the service overall, but at the same time, it's nothing extraordinarily good or noteworthy.

- Bar: 50% off drinks at happy hour (4-7PM daily, at least in low season). Perfect! Can't complain about that.

- Main pool: Beautiful infinity-edge black-stone pool with palm trees lined along both sides. With low occupancy, this was practically an extremely large private pool (40 metres long).

- Other common areas and facilities: Excellent common areas (including the lobby and the 'library' just beyond it). Also a well-equipped gym. Spa is decent.

Points to note:
- Beach club: The resort doesn't have its own beach and isn't by the beach (a short ride away), so this is a point to note if wanting a beach is high on the priority list. The beach club itself on Kamala Beach (not Phuket's nicest beach...) is extremely underwhelming. Seems like there wasn't much effort or thought put into the beach club, other than putting a few sun loungers out. There are two areas on the beach, about a 15-minute walk from each other (or short buggy ride). Both are somewhat disappointing. We much preferred to spend time in our suite, which was private and pleasant.

- Breakfast: I understand high/peak season has a full buffet spread. I'm not big on buffets, and the a la carte selection during our visit was fairly diverse. However, what we received on the plate - just simple standard breakfast - was not up to standard. Extremely bizarre, considering how good SILK was for dinner!

- Privacy: The resort, by most standards, is extremely private. However, there are certain angles or areas from where those above (higher up the hill) you could look onto your pool terrace. But perhaps I'm being overly critical.

A few pics:

Overview:

Private pool terrace:

Living areas:

Private villas:

Main pool:

Trisara site visit

Location can be a positive or negative depending on what you want. If it's utter seclusion, then what a location! There's not much to do around the area itself though (not that I mind personally).

Suites are extremely private, reserved decor but nothing really interesting to write about other than that. I love the private pool in each suite, but the outdoor deck area reminded me of Maldives (not in a good way?). However, I can see how this could be very appealing to some. I found the rooms to be a bit 'cold' for my taste.

Suites/villas are extremely private, which I like very, very much.

The common areas are very nice. Beach club (private beach) and pool are fair, former being better than the latter. Loved the bar/lounge/restaurant and actual lobby. Perfect for an evening drink, but sadly we didn't stay there too long.

A few pics:

Last edited by chinmoylad; Jul 15, 2014 at 6:49 am Reason: Editing photo links/size and formatting
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for sharing. The Villa Looks nice at Anantara, but the lack of beach is a big issue for me.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks for sharing. The Villa Looks nice at Anantara, but the lack of beach is a big issue for me.
Thanks! It's Andara, though. Different from Anantara. Andara is a stand alone resort owned by Allan Zeman.

I can see how lack of beach may be a hindrance for many. The beach itself is only a short drive away (similar to Amanusa and Nusa Dua), however, as mentioned, not particularly worth the short trips.

I think for me, living in HK and with access to beaches locally and within the SEA region, I don't particularly consider Phuket a beach destination. There aren't very many amazing beaches there.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
Thank you for your wonderful and detailed trip report! I am visiting Phuket in September for 6 days for the first time, so I wonder if you could answer some questions for me?

1. I heard the weather is bad right now due to the monsoon season, but the sky in your photos look absolutely beautiful! Was the weather that great every day? Or is it like only sunny one out of three days type of deal?

2. While the two hotels you reviewed seem extraordinarily impressive, they are a bit too expensive for me. For now I have booked a Bay Pool Suite at Point Yamu. Since that is a pretty new hotel, what's your opinion of it? If I am looking to book a room around $350/night, what other hotels do you recommend?

3. Do hotels in Phuket have free sauna/steam rooms in their fitness center? In other words, guest access to locker room/steam room/hot tub for free, similar to Grand Hyatt in Taipei or Macau.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:21 am

Great review thanks (and also thanks for being upfront on your stay being a media freeby - very refreshing). The Andara resort looks lovely but the lack of beach would be a problem for me but shouldn't, as you point out worry those who are happy with the arrangement at Amanusa or indeed Amanzoe. It might work though after staying elsewhere on Phuket as an add on.

I agree great beaches in HK - a fact that a lot of travellers there over look - I like Big Wave, Shek O - what are your favourites?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by undersky
Thank you for your wonderful and detailed trip report! I am visiting Phuket in September for 6 days for the first time, so I wonder if you could answer some questions for me?

1. I heard the weather is bad right now due to the monsoon season, but the sky in your photos look absolutely beautiful! Was the weather that great every day? Or is it like only sunny one out of three days type of deal?

2. While the two hotels you reviewed seem extraordinarily impressive, they are a bit too expensive for me. For now I have booked a Bay Pool Suite at Point Yamu. Since that is a pretty new hotel, what's your opinion of it? If I am looking to book a room around $350/night, what other hotels do you recommend?

3. Do hotels in Phuket have free sauna/steam rooms in their fitness center? In other words, guest access to locker room/steam room/hot tub for free, similar to Grand Hyatt in Taipei or Macau.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!
Thanks I can answer maybe 1 (or at least give a bit of insight) and 2, but not necessarily 3.

1. I went there in June (low season) so weather was actually pretty good. This is the 4th time I've been to Phuket in June, and while we occassionally run into bad weather (this time, about 3 hours on the first day was rain. The following 4 days were either perfect, like in the pics, or fairly sunny but cloudy/slightly overcast). Not sure what it's like in September. As far as I can tell, especially with Phuket, there are occassionally times when it may rain a week straight but it's rare. Usually the rain comes (for an hour or two, or less) and goes away. The dry season in Nov-March is best, I believe.

2. The Point Yamu, as its a COMO, is highly rated. I believe this was originally meant to be opened by another resort chain, but COMO took over as the original deal fell through - if I recall correct? Can't remember if it's Jean Michel Gathy designed, but I'm not a big fan of the design particularly. If the design isn't up your alley either, check out Paresa - which is a pretty good resort, and just next to Andara - available for about US$250-350 for the lower level suites (which all come with a pool).

Other choices around that price range may also include Naka Island Phuket (if you don't mind being secluded on an island), Maikhao Dream Villa Resort & Spa (again, rather secluded up north - private beach front), Banyan Tree Phuket (people say it's a bit tired now and needs a refurbishment, but service remains decent as far as I know), Anantara and The Regent. I can't guarantee the prices are necessarily within that range but I would suggest checking prices for all of these as sometimes low-season can have great rates.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
Originally Posted by deathscar
Thanks I can answer maybe 1 (or at least give a bit of insight) and 2, but not necessarily 3.

1. I went there in June (low season) so weather was actually pretty good. This is the 4th time I've been to Phuket in June, and while we occassionally run into bad weather (this time, about 3 hours on the first day was rain. The following 4 days were either perfect, like in the pics, or fairly sunny but cloudy/slightly overcast). Not sure what it's like in September. As far as I can tell, especially with Phuket, there are occassionally times when it may rain a week straight but it's rare. Usually the rain comes (for an hour or two, or less) and goes away. The dry season in Nov-March is best, I believe.

2. The Point Yamu, as its a COMO, is highly rated. I believe this was originally meant to be opened by another resort chain, but COMO took over as the original deal fell through - if I recall correct? Can't remember if it's Jean Michel Gathy designed, but I'm not a big fan of the design particularly. If the design isn't up your alley either, check out Paresa - which is a pretty good resort, and just next to Andara - available for about US$250-350 for the lower level suites (which all come with a pool).

Other choices around that price range may also include Naka Island Phuket (if you don't mind being secluded on an island), Maikhao Dream Villa Resort & Spa (again, rather secluded up north - private beach front), Banyan Tree Phuket (people say it's a bit tired now and needs a refurbishment, but service remains decent as far as I know), Anantara and The Regent. I can't guarantee the prices are necessarily within that range but I would suggest checking prices for all of these as sometimes low-season can have great rates.
Thank you again for taking time to reply! I am very happy to hear that the weather has been decent most of the time. I kind of worry that the weather would ruin my trip with my wife

I am also very glad to hear that Point YAMU is highly regarded. I understand the minimalistic design is not for everyone, but I personally am ok with it. yeah it kind of reminds me of IKEA furniture, but maybe they will look better in person, haha!

I am also considering Regent, but I feel that Point Yamu might be better because:

1. It has a daily schedule of activities for guests
2. it has a private beach (by boat)
3. It's on East Coast so it will have a better weather/sea condition during September
4. It's brand new

I think I will probably stay with Point Yamu then, considering that I got a rate for 40% off on a suite w/ two bathroom and a living room and a private pool, albeit a bit over my budget

Thanks again
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Great review thanks (and also thanks for being upfront on your stay being a media freeby - very refreshing). The Andara resort looks lovely but the lack of beach would be a problem for me but shouldn't, as you point out worry those who are happy with the arrangement at Amanusa or indeed Amanzoe. It might work though after staying elsewhere on Phuket as an add on.

I agree great beaches in HK - a fact that a lot of travellers there over look - I like Big Wave, Shek O - what are your favourites?
I think in terms of location to explore rest of Phuket (if that's the main idea, rather than just sitting at the resort), it's probably better to stay here than at Sri Panwa or Trisara for example.

The resort also owns two yachts for charter to explore the islands etc.

My favourite beaches in HK are all in Sai Kung. A bit hard to get to (unless you have a boat or rent one), but that's what makes them so idyllic and beautiful. My favourite one on HK island is Turtle Cove beach. Not a big fan of Big Wave and Shek O - too many people (don't mind the former too much).

E.g.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good photos and details, which led to good discussion

Not too far from Aman (actually, most of the suites/villas look out onto Aman's headland and you can actually make out the individual Amanpuri suites)
shown here > https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...p=1&sz=14&z=14

trisara 3-6BR oceanfront residence?
trisara > https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Trisa...27349&t=h&z=17
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
trisara 3-6BR oceanfront residence?
trisara > https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Trisa...27349&t=h&z=17
Thanks!

This pic is actually the one bedroom "ocean front pool villa": http://trisara.com/resort_accommodat...nt-pool-villa/

We visited a couple of accomodation types (all 1-bedroom, the others were lower categories), but didn't get to see the private villas.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting, thanks.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 15, 2014 at 4:17 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Hi all!

Older review here of course, but on my most recent trip to Phuket (was there just a few days ago), revisited Andara for some food, so thought I'd update with the following.

Re-iterating how good the main restaurant, SILK, is.

Since my stay here in 2014, I've returned 3 times for lunch/dinner, and each time it's been absolutely brilliant (for Thai food). Once again, we had lunch here, and it was amazing. The massaman curry is brilliant here, as is the tom yum goong - for something different, order one version of normal tom yum, and another with coconut milk.

Which further makes me question exactly what happened with breakfast during my stay!

I also had my extra gear on me this time around, so thought I'd do a walkthrough. Unfortunately my party and I only had the chance to see the 4-Bedroom Pool Suite (1 level below the 4-BR Penthouse Pool Suite which I reviewed earlier in this thread).

Enjoy:

I've got my stay at Six Senses Yao Noi and a site visit of Amanpuri coming up - also with videos etc!
Old May 2, 2016, 7:19 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

While at Yao Noi, it might be interesting if you can see Ani Villas.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSI
While at Yao Noi, it might be interesting if you can see Ani Villas.
That was the plan and I was in touch with them for a while about a site visit and it was all arranged but just prior to heading over, they informed me it was booked during my stay at Yao Noi.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
I too am looking forward to your reviews. Its nice to see varying alternatives in Phuket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.