Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo's 2 Four Seasons: Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Was at FS NP in 2012 and again last August. It seemed better last stay. I think the line of rooms I was in had been reno'd. Highly recommended. As for a night in Giza, def avoid the Mena House. I enjoyed it on my first stay when it was an Oberoi property but it's gotten quite shabby over the past couple of years.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:13 am

Has anyone staying at either FS in Cairo booked the Night at the Museum (with dinner) or Dinner at the Pyramids FS experience? I have just been quoted 8000 USD for the Night at the Museum for 2 people which seems totally ridiculous and I hate to think what the Dinner at the Pyramids will cost.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:17 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cyan123
Has anyone staying at either FS in Cairo booked the Night at the Museum (with dinner) or Dinner at the Pyramids FS experience? I have just been quoted 8000 USD for the Night at the Museum for 2 people which seems totally ridiculous and I hate to think what the Dinner at the Pyramids will cost.
You realise it’s a private dinner at the Museum, after it closes, with a personal tour with world famous Egyptologist Dr Zahi Hawass?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed

You realise it’s a private dinner at the Museum, after it closes, with a personal tour with world famous Egyptologist Dr Zahi Hawass?

Yes....but I found 7 days tours with him for 7000 USD which includes a museum visit so 4000 per person for a few hours at night seems steep!

If that is the cost so be it but I did wonder if they had added a zero by mistake!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:55 am

We were quoted the same amount last year.

The regular tour is done by a professional tour guide.
At an additional cost and subject to his availability the tour is accompanied by Mr. Hawass.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by ctrlf
We were quoted the same amount last year.

The regular tour is done by a professional tour guide.
At an additional cost and subject to his availability the tour is accompanied by Mr. Hawass.
Thanks for confirming.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:49 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cyan123
Yes....but I found 7 days tours with him for 7000 USD which includes a museum visit so 4000 per person for a few hours at night seems steep!

If that is the cost so be it but I did wonder if they had added a zero by mistake!
In that case take it!

It's a standard FS markup. I enquired about the Museum and also the FS San Stefano private dinner at the Royal Jewellery Museum. Both were outrageous costs. I wonder how many they actually sell!
Cyan123 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
First Residence issues...

Just checked out from a four night stay and what a surprising disappointment in some ways. Not sure what is happening at this once stellar property, are they having a shift in management, unfilled positions or change?

For whatever dumb reason I did not book a suite, I guess in retrospect I previously found the decor and room overall to be underwhelming and I am still unwilling to part with money for something that doesn't impress me. much. Booked a Premier Room and was told these had been totally renovated so i thought Id give it a try. Went through my usual PP TA, but no upgrade given again even though all categories available during my stay and I asked for room with balcony but it wasn't given (initially I thought only suites at this property had balconies but visited a colleagues room and they had a lower category than mine which included a balcony facing the zoo that was strangely devoid of furniture despite ample space)

Here are some of the shortcomings I experienced that I see others posting about in various forums and reviews so I take it my experiences are unfortunately not isolated:

- Obvious vice activity around pool involving several gentleman who refused and looked surprised and in bar which at least to me has not been apparent at other Cairo properties. Also pool area furnishings starting to appear tired and elements like ladder into pool seem rickety and cheap which I hadn't noticed before.

- Initially given a smoking room and given mild push back, told it wasnt...absolutely bonkers as I have mild allergic reaction to smoke and it wasn't even worth debating as it WAS a smoking room. I mean smoking or nonsmoking is one of the most basic pre arrival guest requests whether it is a Four Seasons or a Motel 6 am I right?

- Disorganized or completing lacking responses to minor requests (e.g. getting more coffee pods, replacing nonworking phone, getting shave gel, etc).

- Strangely missing furniture like no lounge chairs or footstools and as others have recently commented, lots of unfilled space, nothing on the walls, ample space for a daybed or couch by the large window along with table but no such thing to be had. I was in a renovated room and it was apparent to me that elements like fresh paint seemed to be the primary enhancement vs anything else. There were multiple carpet stains and smudges around the doors and headboard of the bed. I would have thought the bathrooms would have been updated to at least incorporate rain shower head...no such thing and they remain totally 1980's sheik.

- Tea lounge a treat as always during breakfast, service very warm but requested items forgotten about, never brought and my needing to make multiple reminders despite lots of staff moving around the lounge.

- No more flowers in the room or any turn down amenities, is this only in suites?

- Spa seems recently repainted?? There was an obvious smell throughout areas other than the treatment rooms that I could only identify as paint. It was not pleasant. Also, multiple attempts to upsell me on "better" massage oil during treatment...LOL, really?

As an aside, whats with the total security theater at the front entrance and the show of bringing sniffer dogs around cars and checking the trunks after they have essentially pulled up to the front door? I'm not an expert but what the hell difference would this make as there are no vehicle barriers of any kind not to mention the hotel is essentially on the road anyway so any type of detonation style attack would unfortunately be catastrophic. All this show does is create a backup of vehicles in the small space. In comparison there is actual security all around the diplomatic buildings next door.

Are some of these service issues worth passing along? I can mention it to my TA but what about a contact at the hotel for you regulars - paging resident expert @m0hamed Should I ask for some service recovery as frankly I'm not sure what the better options would be for my next Cairo stay in a few weeks (I thought the RC was awful)??
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Oh my my... this is a awful! Please do email Dimitrios Zarikos, RVP, about this or possibly reference this thread. I find this very worrying, especially knowing that he is in charge. He’s a fantastic GM and FS veteran and they do care. Don’t really understand what’s going on..
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scented
Oh my my... this is a awful! Please do email Dimitrios Zarikos, RVP, about this or possibly reference this thread. I find this very worrying, especially knowing that he is in charge. He’s a fantastic GM and FS veteran and they do care. Don’t really understand what’s going on..
Thanks for the affirming my concerns. There is a lot to like about this property and Cairo really appeals. For those of you with more experience (mine is really limited) what would a potentially appropriate recovery be, if any for the issues that directly impacted stay vs my commentary about security etc? I should add that its not my style to ask for any compensation and in fact I probably should have voiced louder my disappointment during the stay but thats not typically my style either...

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Oct 18, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:15 pm

This is the complete antithesis to my stays.

A couple of points:
  • I have previously been allocated smoking rooms. Somehow it ended up my profile I was a smoker (I never have and hate the smell), but was easily fixed
  • Never realised non suite rooms had balconies - nice tip
  • The refurbished is very light. Some new points, new powerpoint with USB ports and light fixtures/controls
  • As for the activity by the pool, there have been some comments on Tripadvisor but I have never seen it.
What floor were you on out of interest?

I shan't comment on the security theatre as most security is and frankly I have a strong relationship with those dogs. They appear very thin German Shepherds so I feed each one (there are 3 on shift) during my entire stay. I will, however, say that they won't allow anyone to park their vehicles in the hotel. It's valet only and extended family really don't like it but it's for obvious reasons.

I'll send you the GMs contact now. You should definitely raise these issues.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed
This is the complete antithesis to my stays.

A couple of points:
  • I have previously been allocated smoking rooms. Somehow it ended up my profile I was a smoker (I never have and hate the smell), but was easily fixed
  • Never realised non suite rooms had balconies - nice tip
  • The refurbished is very light. Some new points, new powerpoint with USB ports and light fixtures/controls
  • As for the activity by the pool, there have been some comments on Tripadvisor but I have never seen it.
What floor were you on out of interest?

I shan't comment on the security theatre as most security is and frankly I have a strong relationship with those dogs. They appear very thin German Shepherds so I feed each one (there are 3 on shift) during my entire stay. I will, however, say that they won't allow anyone to park their vehicles in the hotel. It's valet only and extended family really don't like it but it's for obvious reasons.

I'll send you the GMs contact now. You should definitely raise these issues.
Thanks, it was my third stay, Ive been in Cairo every few weeks. The first two stays were great, I felt it was a very special property and it really appealed both when I stayed in room and didnt notice the worn out issues and then suite where I was underwhelmed but still had nothing but praise. It just seemed like there was a lack of leadership on site or something since my other recent stays.

In short, I decided last minute to stay in Cairo for another few days as old friends were coming in and I flew in my older children and new grandchildren so we could all get together. I was really torn as if it weren't for these issues I would have booked several rooms and a suite at FR and after some hemming and hawing I decided to give the Nile Plaza a shot as I had no idea where else to go besides some mild curiosity about the Sofitel. I had been concerned about the tour bus type crowd over there and just felt it was really not my vibe but Ill tell you the executive suite I booked is really quite nice compared to what I experienced at FR. It feels a lot fresher, for lack of a better description and higher quality fit and finishes. Even thought the hotel is too crowded in the common areas for me I still feel like staff are also a lot more integrated if this makes sense. I enjoyed Upper Deck lounge, it made me appreciate the vibe of the NP pool area more so than I originally thought (perhaps because at the late hour it was fairly empty). Off to bed now as just finished up a very late night of catching up as a family.

As an aside my TA was really mortified about First Residence. He had also heard some negative reports from two regular clients at FR but these were from at least six months ago. I told him I would be in touch with the contacts you and another regular here very kindly sent.

PS -- whats with the very hungry/sickly looking dogs at FR? Made me so sad, I love dogs.تصبح على خيBest, L
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:27 pm

I would feed it back directly using the email I gave you.

It’s always our residence in Cairo and it sounds like a number of failures compounded. Give them the chance to rectify it on your next stay. There is no excuse for what occurred and they will admit so.

They hides Elena? a guest services officer who is supposed to look after VIPs and always does our private in room check in.

Seems Virtuoso/FHR/FSPP upgrades aren’t really actioned here. Get your TA to raise that part.

FWIW, we always request they block exact rooms for us because we know what we like. Means we’re never disappointed.

i definitely wouldn’t stay at the Sofitel. Went there for dinner and like the RC and other properties the hotel is full of non guests. It’s a horrible experience, especially after the serenity that FR provides:

Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Oh, and dogs aren’t very well looked after in Egypt. I think they feee them vegetable scraps.

I’ve watched them grow older and always take Pastrimi from breakfast to feed them. If I could bring them home I would!
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:58 am

Stayed in August at both FS properties, preferred the First Residence purely due to size and check in was very poor at the NP. Got a great room with balcony (no furniture) on 9th floor overlooking the Zoo. Service, food etc were excellent, only dislike was the pool area due to lots of children screaming and it was a mess. Neither provided welcome drinks or towels but this was the same at the FS Sultanahmet, we did get a plate of cakes in the room at FR though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.