Wiki Posts
Search

Barbados (and nearby) hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Barbados (and nearby) hotels

A wedding dictates that I need to fly to Barbados (everywhere else in the Carribean has flights that get back into London too late for me to be sure of making a wedding in Manchester the same day).

To give you a sense of what we like- we've stayed in Four Seasons Kuda Huraa and really loved the relative seclusion & privacy that you got. All the Amans also look like they'd end up on our list. Basically we want everything - great rooms, great beach, ideally (but not looking possible) a private plunge pool, and great privacy.

It looks like the options on Barbados are:

Sandy Lane (maybe too big? Too golf-focussed?)
The house (I can't quite tell how high end this is)
Petit St. Vincent (Tripadvisor seems to be split between those thinking this is awesome and those thinking that actually its a lot more dowdy than it pretends to be.)

Am I missing anything obvious hotels-wise? I've spent a lot of time on google so I'm thinking not but the members of this forum obviously know a ton more than I do....!

Cheers,

PJ
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Iīve only been to Barbados once, but Sandy Lane indeed seemed like the most luxurious property.

Iīve been told the hard product is excellent at the House, while the service isnīt exactly top-notch, but no personal experience.

The next best choice would probably be the Fairmont Barbados (where I have stayed), though I wouldnīt expect FS-style service there and itīs not the most impressive Fairmont Iīve stayed at (Iīd personally give it a 4.5*). Itīs a perfectly nice hotel with nice rooms, but the service isnīt 5* and there arenīt any large one-bedroom suites.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-barbados.html
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Sandy Lane is fine. The golf course is totally separate to the hotel (the other side of the main coast road). You wouldn't even know it was part of the hotel, although it is worth going to the clubhouse for lunch as you get a great view of the coast.

Probably not great for privacy - if that is what you want, I would look to rent a villa at Royal Westmoreland or on the Sandy Lane golf estate, both of which should also give you beach access and are likely to come with a private pool.

Fairmont is a decent 2nd option, we have also stayed there. Very much a notch below Sandy Lane although not as big a difference as the price gap implies. Sandy Lane does have huge rooms, though, whilst the Fairmont is pretty cosy. We were also there just after the Fairmont reopened from its monster renovation, so I don't know how it has aged.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks guys - Raffles, I hadn't appreciated that one could hire villas- I'll have a look into it although I suspect a villa for me and the mrs might be a bit excessive!

Jasper2009 - thanks it does sound like Sandy Lane is at the top of a lot of people's lists which is comforting to know!

Jerry- thanks - I had seen that thread but wondered if I was (now) missing anything give how fast things can spring up- and I guess the Grenadines / Mustique are also in the set of places I might go to but it doesn't seem like there's much info on what (if anything) is excellent there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.