Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edinburgh, Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Edinburgh, Scotland

Going to Edinburgh (first visit since leaving university in 06) for a wedding in June and need to find a hotel.

There are relatively few reviews of hotels in Edinburgh so not sure if there're anyone who's stayed recently.

Currently between the Balmoral and the Caledonian. Other options are the Sheraton, the Glasshouse and Missoni. Erring towards the Balmoral as I stayed there whilst I lived there, but the Caledonian I believe is the most recently refurbished one. I don't think the Balmoral has had anything done to it in 10 years+. Another positive is that the Caledonian is about £100 cheaper per night than the Balmoral for comparable rooms.

Anyone able to provide some guidance? This would be for four nights.

Think the Scotsman is out as I cannot see it having stood the test of time too well. My partner prefers hotels, so anything boutique-y is not an option.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:43 pm

Not much high end in Edinburgh. I haven't seen the Caledonian inside since refurb, but I stayed at the Balmoral last October. It was pretty fresh in the rooms and the bar areas. The whiskey bar is only a couple years old IIRC. Been doing work since Rocco bought it back (don't remember the date).
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
There's another luxury option in Edinburgh:

http://theatholl.com/
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Balmoral in 2012 during the Fringe and was not at all impressed. I wouldn't go back. Location is great for the Fringe, however, and maybe for other places as well once the endless tram construction is done.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by uggboy

AND breakfast is included ^

Looks like you'd need to be a fairly well off atholl to stay here.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
I've been to both, and the Balmoral is a clear winner. The deluxe rooms are gorgeous, with fantastic views. Lovely public areas, and very good service. Nice pool too. Wow location.

The Prestonfield is meant to be nice too, although a bit out of town.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uggboy

A bit more than I'd care to spend for Edinburgh + partner wants a hotel but thank you. Also found the Witchery has rooms from another thread but fully booked.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed at the Balmoral in 2012 during the Fringe and was not at all impressed. I wouldn't go back. Location is great for the Fringe, however, and maybe for other places as well once the endless tram construction is done.
This makes me worried but confused vs.:

Originally Posted by 5mSvGlow
I've been to both, and the Balmoral is a clear winner. The deluxe rooms are gorgeous, with fantastic views. Lovely public areas, and very good service. Nice pool too. Wow location.

The Prestonfield is meant to be nice too, although a bit out of town.
I am willing to accept the Balmoral is better than the Caledonian, but if the Balmoral is not great, I am left in doubt! Had considered Prestonfield but not close to the wedding venues + too far out of the city + had one too many "things" there are as a student.

Overall I am partial to Newtown so will need to make a decision between the two.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:14 am

I thought the Balmoral was absolutely fine. It's pretty fitting to Edinburgh, where super high end would probably seem out of place.

The main thing I think that needs work is the common areas and such, which are a little worn. Rooms are fine.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Missoni is being deflagged in June
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:21 pm

We have generally paid about £185/night for the Balmoral, with an £85 credit and free breakfast care of Amex FHR, and have scored an upgrade to a corner deluxe room 3 times out of 3. This deal is very hard to beat. It may be that the entry level internal view rooms would leave you with a different impression. I too would swither at paying £100 more for Balmoral over Caledonian - i'd likely choose the latter in that situation, especially if I was off to a wedding.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by 5mSvGlow
We have generally paid about £185/night for the Balmoral, with an £85 credit and free breakfast care of Amex FHR, and have scored an upgrade to a corner deluxe room 3 times out of 3. This deal is very hard to beat. It may be that the entry level internal view rooms would leave you with a different impression. I too would swither at paying £100 more for Balmoral over Caledonian - i'd likely choose the latter in that situation, especially if I was off to a wedding.
My Problem is, tha bathrooms at the Balmore have tub/shower combos. Am I right, that only the Royal Suite has a walk-in shower?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:53 am

Edinburgh's a problem, for real luxury. Both the Balmoral and the Caledonian have more bad rooms than good ones - and you may have to be persistent.

The Caledonian has some shockers, based on a visit a few weeks ago: a genuinely terrible junior suite with no natural light whatsoever and an air-duct view was quickly refused. We ended up in the Caledonian Suite, which is very charming indeed - though the bathroom is outdated and cheaply put together. Service in the Galvin restaurant is good, as is the food offering. Service in the hotel, at all levels from front-desk to GM, is 3* to 4* at best, occasionally farcical, and in no way aiming for luxury. I think service at the Balmoral may be better. We might try there next time - or adjust our expectations, and look at other upper-end Edinburgh properties; other than grand old buildings, I'm not convinced much separates the Balmoral and Caledonian from other 4*s in the city.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
My Problem is, tha bathrooms at the Balmore have tub/shower combos. Am I right, that only the Royal Suite has a walk-in shower?
Thats probably right, yes. There may be accessible rooms too. This is a relative downside in a very old building.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was paying GBP350+ for the Balmoral during the Fringe for a deluxe room, and got a hugely gloomy interior room overlooking the windows of other rooms. It was filled with chintz and low wattage light CFL light bulbs. The housecleaning staff made every effort to save money when they entered the room -- pulling the little card out of the holder, removing it, turning off all lights separately by their switches in addition, minimizing the number of towels, etc. I complained several times to management and was told it would never happen again and of course, it did the very next time I had turndown or room cleaning.

Public rooms were very gloomy and the tea room was often full with no priority given to hotel guests, or at least to me.

At GBP180, maybe. At 350, even during a special (but long) event, never again.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:05 am

That does sound rather bad Richard. I think last time I was there it was around 250 pounds, and we got upgraded to a suite overlooking the castle. And none of the room cleaning shenanigans you describe.

I disagree about the common areas though, I didn't find them very gloomy. Hallways and elevators were threadbare, but the whisky bar and main bar were both very nice, as was the restaurant (only had breakfast there tough).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.