Wiki Posts
Search

Best art deco hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC
Best art deco hotels?

I'm a huge fan of this style and am curious of your opinions regarding the world's best...Burgh Island looks fantastic and various other hotels have some rooms/suites done in this style, so let's see what else is out there
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Claridges in London springs to mind immediately.

The InterContinental on the Golden mile in Chicago is also a great example of the genre with an amazing indooor swimming pool.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:02 am

The Hydro Majestic which is part Art Deco in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney is currently undergoing renovations and will be a Luxury Hotel apparently. http://www.hydromajestic.com.au/ - the setting and views are gorgeous. It certainly wasn't luxury when I stayed a few years ago but the public areas were lovely.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:42 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

There's also Hotel Montana in Lucerne, Switzerland and Hotel Imperial in Prague.
In London, I would add the Savoy.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not sure what the rooms are like but Sheraton Park Lane has impressive public areas and ballroom.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:31 am

The Imperial, New Delhi, is an Art deco hotel, built around 1937. The exterior is very pleasing, but the Art deco suites less so - a bit contrived for me.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Raffles
Not sure what the rooms are like but Sheraton Park Lane has impressive public areas and ballroom.
This is the hotel that folks love to loathe in the Starwood forum.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:11 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Pen HK.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Peace Hotel (now Fairmont Peace), Shanghai. I don't know about "world's best" but it's gorgeously deco. Great thread!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
Peace Hotel (now Fairmont Peace), Shanghai. I don't know about "world's best" but it's gorgeously deco. Great thread!
thanks, i will have to check it out as i love Art Deco!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Agreed it's a wonderful idea for a thread. Problem is, so many of the great Deco palaces have been "refreshed" in the intervening three-quarters of a century -- long time huh? -- since the end of the era, that probably little authentic remains in their interiors, certainly not the rooms. And, without loving and meticulous maintenance, it's a style that may not age well at all.

There must be at least one icon in NYC, I'd guess Waldorf Astoria, with some of the original "fragrance" of the period left, although I have not darkened its doors in a very long time. Likewise there are surely at least a couple of great restored places in Miami Beach, one of the epicenters of the style, blessedly neglected for decades so no crass updating destroyed original fabric. Paris too must have something left, though not sure what. PS never been to the Greenbrier, must bear checking out to see if it has some remnants of Dorothy Draper, maybe someone here knows.

However for the real deal, one has got to include, and experience, the sole surviving example of the great ocean liners of the day, the Queen Mary in my own town of Long Beach, CA. The great public rooms are gorgeously intact, and viewable with a tour, and the whole ambience of the corridors and decks etc. is unforgettable. And yes, it is a hotel where one can book a "cabin" for a stay. Some of those have been modernized, but some of the original ones also remain; not sure if they can actually be slept in nowadays, but they are still there to be visited at least. You absolutely can't get more authentic than that, and for a true afficianado of the style it can't be missed -- as I say, the only one like it left in the world today, so far as I know anyhow...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
As much as I like Art Deco I have to admit that i am very sensitive to the atmosphere of a room and Art Deco sometimes can really drag me down. I appreciate it in a cafe or ballroom but i am not sure I would want it in my room.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:06 am

The Hotel Savoy Homan in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia is deco fabulous.

http://www.savoyhomann-hotel.com

I highly recommend this hotel to anybody interested in the architecture of the period.

As others have said, the Fairmont Peace Hotel in Shanghai is also amazing.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The Pierre, NYC?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
The Phoenicia in Valletta, Claridges is a great example, The Savoy in London, The Martinez in Cannes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.