Wiki Posts
Search

the luxury hotels of Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:15 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I hope you took photographs!
Didn't get any pictures . But our golf course filmed this (capturing and relocating a a big gator - do not try this on your own!):

http://www.tpcsawgrassagronomy.com/2...s-stadium.html

Robyn
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Robyn, I was just ribbing you about your phrasing which makes it sound like the snakes were playing golf...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:36 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Robyn, I was just ribbing you about your phrasing which makes it sound like the snakes were playing golf...
Thought you might be saying that - but decided to play it straight . Robyn
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

David:

Did you fly out of Liberia? I know you flew into San Jose. Wondering if it's easier to fly into one and out the other on this type of trip.

Was the Andaz a Virtuoso property when you took this trip? Wondering why you skipped it - at least for a site inspection - considering how close it is to the FS.

Very interested in Villa Manzu as far as Papagayo goes.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
We flew out of Liberia, much more convenient for Papagayo.

Andaz wasn't Virtuoso at the time - and may not have been opened. Villa Manzu tried to set up a site inspection for us, but they only contacted us the final morning we were there and that unfortunately didn't work out.

Originally Posted by pricesquire
David:

Did you fly out of Liberia? I know you flew into San Jose. Wondering if it's easier to fly into one and out the other on this type of trip.

Was the Andaz a Virtuoso property when you took this trip? Wondering why you skipped it - at least for a site inspection - considering how close it is to the FS.

Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick response. Trying to plan a similar trip.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at $15,000 per night? (although 7 bedrooms)

just in costa rica >
two of the FS estate villas are less than that
isla simca: exclusive-use 270 acre island + 18 miles / 13,546 acres of coastline

Originally Posted by DavidO
Villa Manzu tried to set up a site inspection for us
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:33 am

Is anyone who has done the FS Papagayo able to comment on surf? Looking into some options for this spring and I'd like to take a board and catch a few.

All my experience is with Tamarindo.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Is anyone who has done the FS Papagayo able to comment on surf? Looking into some options for this spring and I'd like to take a board and catch a few.

All my experience is with Tamarindo.
I believe there is good surf nearby: Santa Rosa, Witche's Rock, and Ollie's are all in the area. Don't think you have anything directly in front of the hotel, so to speak.

If you want waves, head a bit north to Southwest Nicaragua. Maybe too professional/big for what you're looking for? Double overhead most of the year
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:01 pm

I believe there is good surf nearby: Santa Rosa, Witche's Rock, and Ollie's are all in the area. Don't think you have anything directly in front of the hotel, so to speak.

If you want waves, head a bit north to Southwest Nicaragua. Maybe too professional/big for what you're looking for? Double overhead most of the year
Yeah, I've surfed all down that way, was hoping to just be able to fit a little in while relaxing with the wife on the beach!

I have a buddy who has a place in Nicaragua, great surf. Not terribly difficult either, which is a plus. A nice double overhead wave is much easier than a pitching shoulder high beach break really. I am definitely too old and out of shape to charge like I used to though. Had a great setup when I lived in Santa Barbara with a friend who went to UH and lived on the North Shore at the top of Pupukea Hill. Just a quick plane ride and had a free place to crash minutes from Pipe!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Has anyone been to Kura Design Villas in Uvita? It's gotten great reviews on T.A. and has been featured in a number of travel magazines, but I haven't seen any mention of it here on FT.

And more in general, what's the general feel on Costa Rica these days? Some people quite like it, but others seem very underwhelmed and lament that the experience is far from what it used to be.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
We have 2 kids aged 11 and 6. We we traveled with another family. They didn't do the kids program this time. We hired some guides for some great outings into the jungle. The wildlife down there is incredible. There are monkeys swinging out of practically every tree it seems. This is a great trip with little ones.

We had one really funny moment on a tour. We went down a 500 foot long waterslide in the jungle. You sit in the slide and a guy literally opens the floodgates with river water and you fly down this thing for about 45 seconds into a pool at the end. The other dad went down and when he got to the end, they were yelling at him to get out. It turns out he had been accompanied down the slide by a six foot long snake. It was priceless! I can't see that happening in the ole US of A!
We have 2 kids as well and we are looking at two rooms at the FS for March- $1075 a night for 2 brisk rooms seems really high- I am wavering on this trip and considering florida instead. Anyone have opinions on this rate and whether March will be too crowded. I don't want to pay $2500 a night and have to fight for a pool chair!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by off2rome
We have 2 kids as well and we are looking at two rooms at the FS for March- $1075 a night for 2 brisk rooms seems really high- I am wavering on this trip and considering florida instead. Anyone have opinions on this rate and whether March will be too crowded. I don't want to pay $2500 a night and have to fight for a pool chair!
I would go look on VRBO or similar and see if you can find a rental at the Four Seasons Residence Club. I don't think the owners are supposed to rent them out, but I have seen a few for rent over the years. You would get a lot more space with a full kitchen and living room. You might be able to find one for $1000-1200 a night.

We stayed in one for the week and then moved to connecting rooms at the main hotel for a few days afterwards.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiaotze
Has anyone been to Kura Design Villas in Uvita? It's gotten great reviews on T.A. and has been featured in a number of travel magazines, but I haven't seen any mention of it here on FT.

And more in general, what's the general feel on Costa Rica these days? Some people quite like it, but others seem very underwhelmed and lament that the experience is far from what it used to be.
AMAZING feedback on Kura. Almost unequivocally a 10 out of 10.

The product is respected both by industry professionals (other hoteliers) and clients.

ps, the feel for Costa is the same as I ever knew it to be: amazing.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking
I would go look on VRBO or similar and see if you can find a rental at the Four Seasons Residence Club. I don't think the owners are supposed to rent them out, but I have seen a few for rent over the years. You would get a lot more space with a full kitchen and living room. You might be able to find one for $1000-1200 a night.

We stayed in one for the week and then moved to connecting rooms at the main hotel for a few days afterwards.
Thanks can you use all hotel facilities and services when doing a FSRC VRBO rental?

Last edited by off2rome; Jun 2, 2015 at 4:20 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.