Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome, Capri, Taormina

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:48 am
Community Director Emerita

Consider the combo of Rome, Capri and the Amalfi Coast. It's an easy combination, each with its own charm. I'm returning to the Amalfi Coast this year for the first time in several years. It's stunningly beautiful. I got a lot of help on hotels within this forum.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by cakegirl
I'm leaning toward the Portrait Suites in Rome after a friend's strong recommendation. Any feedback?
I think we are revising the itinerary and leaving out Taormina and possibly adding another spot.

I would also love a comparison of Capri and Portofino. Which do you prefer?
Portrait suites has been constantly well awarded in this forum but personally I am not a big fun of it. It is basically a few rooms on the top of the Ferragamo Store on Via Condotti (the hotel itself is managed by the Ferragamo family).
Rooms are dark and not excellently designed in my opinion with a full kitchenette in case you care.
Breakfast is served in the room just because there are no common spaces in this hotel (a part a small rooftop terrace)...
After trying it I don't think it can compare with de Russie....but last I have been there was few years ago so maybe someone can add a more recent view.

Portofino has been considered always by many locals the most upscale resort in Italy...I always think of Portofino as a place that you can enjoy the most if you have friends living there. Capri is probably more fun and maybe more authentic.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
Portrait suites has been constantly well awarded in this forum but personally I am not a big fun of it. It is basically a few rooms on the top of the Ferragamo Store on Via Condotti (the hotel itself is managed by the Ferragamo family).
Rooms are dark and not excellently designed in my opinion with a full kitchenette in case you care.
Breakfast is served in the room just because there are no common spaces in this hotel (a part a small rooftop terrace)...
After trying it I don't think it can compare with de Russie....but last I have been there was few years ago so maybe someone can add a more recent view.

Portofino has been considered always by many locals the most upscale resort in Italy...I always think of Portofino as a place that you can enjoy the most if you have friends living there. Capri is probably more fun and maybe more authentic.
The really interesting thing about Hotel de Russie is that Mauro Governato has just gone there as the new GM. He was at FS The Ritz Lisbon and before that at FS Terre Blanche. Should make it even more special.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone visited eden since dorchester took over on sep 18 2013?

or visited jk place rome? seems it opened to public on sep 23 2013.
Going soon.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The really interesting thing about Hotel de Russie is that Mauro Governato has just gone there as the new GM. He was at FS The Ritz Lisbon and before that at FS Terre Blanche. Should make it even more special.
Indeed an interesting news....will see how it is going to impact on the hotel...maybe they are preparing to compete with the FS Rome opening even if I think de Russie will remain a favorite given its location
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Indeed an interesting news....will see how it is going to impact on the hotel...maybe they are preparing to compete with the FS Rome opening even if I think de Russie will remain a favorite given its location
Seldom do I miss a city, but I can hardly wait to return to Rome within the next year or two. If the Four Seasons isn't open, and I fear it will not be, when is the best time of the year to visit the Russie to get the best rates?

We've always stayed at the St. Regis and had wonderful stays at reasonable prices. Whenever I look at the rates at the Russie they are so high, and after visiting the rooms, appear so small. But, I could be persuaded if there is a time of year for better rates, or perhaps a particular room number to ask for.

Looking forward to your update on the Eden and the JK Rome, Vuttions!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:23 am

We'll be in Rome in early April for just a few nights. We're booked at the Portrait Suites. Thanks, David O!

After some angst over consideration of the Hassler (which we loved years ago....but the rates for a reasonable size room/suite were ridiculous for us)...same for the Russie....we thought we'd try the Portrait Suites. Will let you know when we return!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:19 am

Can anyone recommend a hotel in the Panthenon area of Rome?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 18, 2014 at 10:03 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Can anyone recommend a hotel in the Parthenon area of Rome?
I think you mean the Pantheon?

If yes- I would stay at the Hassler or the other hotels discussed here in this thread- something nearby P.za Spagna which is 1 km (0.6 mile) walking distance from the Pantheon.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:08 am

oops, typo, yes, Pantheon. I actually would love to find a great hotel right there. It's the perfect location for me, an easy walk to the squares I particularly enjoy. I used to go to Rome on business several times a year, and have stayed at a range of hotels near the Spanish Steps. But for me, the perfect location was the then Crowne Plaza, immediately adjacent to the Pantheon. It was rebranded and I don't know its current name. I'd love to know anything that might be a gem in that area.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Seldom do I miss a city, but I can hardly wait to return to Rome within the next year or two. If the Four Seasons isn't open, and I fear it will not be, when is the best time of the year to visit the Russie to get the best rates?

We've always stayed at the St. Regis and had wonderful stays at reasonable prices. Whenever I look at the rates at the Russie they are so high, and after visiting the rooms, appear so small. But, I could be persuaded if there is a time of year for better rates, or perhaps a particular room number to ask for.

Looking forward to your update on the Eden and the JK Rome, Vuttions!
I have never found a "best" rate at de Russie and yes, their room are certainly on the small side that's why I usually book at least a junior suite that makes the rate grown consistently.
Me too I have been often at the St. Regis where, on the contrary, rooms are big...in my experience the larger in Rome and with a great price/quality ratio.
And I love their lobby that is one of the larger and nicer city hotel lobby i can recall....maybe the style is a bit too much "old school".
On the other side de Russie has this small but very impactive lobby that always fascinated me and when weather permits their gardens are such a plus in the middle of the city centre....
As always, it's all up to everybody personal priorities...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Can anyone recommend a hotel in the Panthenon area of Rome?
SanDiego1K I dare to mention it in this forum, but a friend of mine (regulars in Rome) said good things about "Albergo del Senato" that is right there...it is certainly not luxury but maybe, if location comes first, you might give it a look and eventually check some review on dedicated travel sites.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:28 pm

SanDiego1K I dare to mention it in this forum, but a friend of mine (regulars in Rome) said good things about "Albergo del Senato" that is right there...it is certainly not luxury but maybe, if location comes first, you might give it a look and eventually check some review on dedicated travel sites.
Thank you very much. Sometimes superb location and a good hotel trump acceptable location and superb hotel, particularly in a city that gives every reason to be out and about.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:51 pm

There's this Relais & Chateaux place in Rome called Palazzo Manfredi which looks as if it has the best location of any hotel in the city as long as you don't mind eating and sleeping with a grandstand view of the Flavian Amphitheatre/Colosseum. Not been there myself but I'd certainly give it a whirl next time I go to Rome.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

We've booked Hotel Eden in Rome and Casa Morgano in Capri- it seemed we were guaranteed better views than at La scalinatella. We are skipping Taormina-we are meeting up with an acquaintance somewhere in Puglia instead.
Has anyone tried the 1 star Michelin restaurant in Hotel Eden?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.