Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Any new reports on the Mandarin Oriental Beijing? Still booked here for November but its almost 2x the price of any other option. Hoping its worth it but the more feedback the better.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Any new reports on the Mandarin Oriental Beijing? Still booked here for November but its almost 2x the price of any other option. Hoping its worth it but the more feedback the better.
I haven't had chance to stop by there yet, but based on the reviews, it does appear to be a significant step up from the usual suspects in this thread. One thing in particular that impresses me, is the view to the west. The Emperor Hotel has similar (at 1/5 the price), but isn't nearly as close to Gugong, and entails a 5 floor walk up. If the weather is nice, you should be able to see the TV tower and, even Xiangshan, in the distance.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Had a great recent stay at the China World Summit Wing. Had a Grand Premier room on the 69th floor with direct views of the CCTV and China Zun buildings. The large bathtub with floor to ceiling views was probably my favorite part of the room. I didn't need the service much during my stay but appreciated the front desk setting up access to the (very nice) health club at 8pm on the day I was checking out so that I shower and change after getting back at 8pm before heading to the airport. Being right on top of the subway and being able to get to the station without even going outside was a huge plus as well. It's only a 10 minute subway ride to Tiananmen so really not much less convenient for sightseeing than the Wafujing hotels.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I'm staying at the PuXuan in SEPT for 4 nights. Looking forward to it.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by lucycan
I'm staying at the PuXuan in SEPT for 4 nights. Looking forward to it.
We stayed at The PuXuan for a couple of nights last month and it was a mixed bag. We really liked the décor and overall design (in fact, the structure was designed by the same person who designed the CCTV headquarters, according to a hotel employee).

There are some issues, however. When the temperature is hot outside, the steel in the exterior structure starts creaking due to expansion and contraction. The hotel is very aware of this issue, but there's no solution as of yet.

We didn't have any meals except breakfast, but the breakfast in the restaurant on the second floor is much better than anything they provide in the Club Lounge. The lounge is comfortable, but the quality of the f&b doesn't warrant the price. Every employee we encountered was exceedingly nice and willing to assist.

The hotel's location is excellent and rooms on the top floors do get a decent view of the Forbidden City in the distance. While we really enjoyed our stay in a Grand Suite, I don't have enough experience with other top-level properties in Beijing to judge whether The PuXuan is among them yet.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jiaotze

There are some issues, however. When the temperature is hot outside, the steel in the exterior structure starts creaking due to expansion and contraction. The hotel is very aware of this issue, but there's no solution as of yet.
Interesting. Hopefully in late SEPT it will be cool enough not to have this issue. Thanks for the insight!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:21 pm

Have stayed at Puxuan and would be very interested to know what your thoughts would be after your stay .
esp re the room ( I only stay in the deluxe king - possibly with an upgrade , can’t remember bt not a suite )

service was overall friendly and genuine and helpful.

when I stayed last April , the hotel had just opened for about a month - and for a newly opened hotel was quite free from issues but breakfast was a disaster for me and I gave honest feedback .

my preferred hotel in Beijing is now MO Wangfujing .
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Have stayed at Puxuan and would be very interested to know what your thoughts would be after your stay .
esp re the room ( I only stay in the deluxe king - possibly with an upgrade , can’t remember bt not a suite )

service was overall friendly and genuine and helpful.

when I stayed last April , the hotel had just opened for about a month - and for a newly opened hotel was quite free from issues but breakfast was a disaster for me and I gave honest feedback .

my preferred hotel in Beijing is now MO Wangfujing .
When @callmedtop mentioned the MO, I was scratching my brain as to why I wasn't more familiar with recent developments with MO in Beijing. Coincidentally, @jiaotze's mention of the "underpants" building (CCTV) jogged my memory; MO was slated to be the primary tenant of the attached spire like building, but it went up in flames during CNY 2008 (the last year I recall fireworks being completely insane). Apologies for the tangent, but perhaps a number of you remember those days.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by moondog
When @callmedtop mentioned the MO, I was scratching my brain as to why I wasn't more familiar with recent developments with MO in Beijing. Coincidentally, @jiaotze's mention of the "underpants" building (CCTV) jogged my memory; MO was slated to be the primary tenant of the attached spire like building, but it went up in flames during CNY 2008 (the last year I recall fireworks being completely insane). Apologies for the tangent, but perhaps a number of you remember those days.
Yes many moons ago, think this could have been around 2009/2010 something. Also interested in further MO Wangfujing feedback -- considering the GM, this must be a splendid property.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:26 pm

Moondog :
MO CCTV is no longer. Apparently the arrangements lapsed .

Scented :
MO is the closest to a boutique in Beijing. From hardware to service ( at least when I stayed - April ) - it’s world class. It’s discreet. It’s a gem.
Breakfast was disappointing though but better than the Puxuan.
The Mandarin Grill is impressive. The cafe and lounge bar has views of Tiananmen Sq right across to Palace museum - Forbidden City.
The mall downstairs has alternative restaurants to the ones in the hotel .
The Wangfujing location is not my favourite but with taxis and ShouYue or DiDi , it’s more than fine. Of course the Subway is excellent.
FlyerEC, scented and callmedtop like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Moondog :
MO CCTV is no longer. Apparently the arrangements lapsed .

Scented :
MO is the closest to a boutique in Beijing. From hardware to service ( at least when I stayed - April ) - it’s world class. It’s discreet. It’s a gem.
Breakfast was disappointing though but better than the Puxuan.
The Mandarin Grill is impressive. The cafe and lounge bar has views of Tiananmen Sq right across to Palace museum - Forbidden City.
The mall downstairs has alternative restaurants to the ones in the hotel .
The Wangfujing location is not my favourite but with taxis and ShouYue or DiDi , it’s more than fine. Of course the Subway is excellent.
Thank you for this, bearbrick! I can really feel your passion for the property just reading your post. Merci!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:16 am

I have a reservation at the PuXuan from Sept 21-25 for my first trip to Beijing. I was contacted by both my guide and the train ticket company today advising me that there will be traffic lock down this weekend in my district due to the upcoming 70th parade. They both suggested I change to a hotel out of the district.

I contacted the PuXuan and they said they have no word and "I should be fine". I'm just envisioning arriving late at night exhausted from a long flight and not being able to get to the hotel.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:31 am

I have a reservation at the PuXuan from Sept 21-25 for my first trip to Beijing. I was contacted by both my guide and the train ticket company today advising me that there will be traffic lock down this weekend in my district due to the upcoming 70th parade. They both suggested I change to a hotel out of the district.

I contacted the PuXuan and they said they have no word and "I should be fine". I'm just envisioning arriving late at night exhausted from a long flight and not being able to get to the hotel.

Thoughts?
I'd trust their word more than your guide's because they are presumably more looped in. That having been said, I would not be eager to stay (or even go) anywhere near downtown until National Day comes and goes.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:37 am

Thanks Moondog. What would you consider "downtown"? How far out should I stay? I guess I thought being there a week ahead would be no issues.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:07 am

Thanks Moondog. What would you consider "downtown"? How far out should I stay? I guess I thought being there a week ahead would be no issues.
The following article pertains to rehearsals from last weekend, but I would guess the anticipated hot spots remain the same:

National Day Rehearsal: Avoid these areas in Beijing this weekend - Feature - Time Out Beijing

As for "how far out", the closest I would risk is Jianguo men (e.g. St Regis). However, East 3rd Ring or SLT might be more to your liking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.