Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon in Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW P, Marriott P, AA Gold, HH Gold
Honeymoon in Caribbean

Hello, I am getting married in May 2014 and my fiance and I are thinking about the Caribbean for our honeymoon. I am platinum in Starwood and Marriott so would like the nicest luxury hotel where I can still use points/get an upgrade.
Any advice on the best hotels? Ideally on the least cheesy island - would like to avoid tons of cruise ship people and families. Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:11 pm

As you are looking specifically for Marriott and *wood options, your best bet may be to go search / ask in those forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...z-carlton-427/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...red-guest-429/
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tmarie
Hello, I am getting married in May 2014 and my fiance and I are thinking about the Caribbean for our honeymoon. I am platinum in Starwood and Marriott so would like the nicest luxury hotel where I can still use points/get an upgrade.
Any advice on the best hotels? Ideally on the least cheesy island - would like to avoid tons of cruise ship people and families. Thanks!
Welcome to FT and congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

The only potentially decent option you will find on points in the Caribbean is the St Regis Bahia on Puerto Rico. I would not recommend this property based on the experiences I have had, but others find it acceptable.

Even the Ritz Carlton properties in the islands are consistently garbage (noting that I have not been to the Ritz Reserve...but which I don't think is available on Marriott points).

If you are set on using points for your lodging, you might consider Hawaii, where you will find at least a few not bad options for your points...and, will, very likely have a superior experience compared to the Caribbean.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:07 pm

We have actually had good experiences at both the Ritz Grand Cayman and Ritz Cancun...

They are both big, 'upscale' hotels (as opposed to luxury), but both had excellent beach locations, consistently friendly and professional service, and excellent dining choices on property and nearby.

In either one, make sure you are in an oceanfront / beachfront room or suite.

You can learn more about them in the Marriott / Ritz forum.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:11 am

I'd try RC Aruba. While hardly Luxury, it is brand new which will help your experience.

To be honest, if you want Luxury you may have to use cash instead of points. Aman in Turks has been getting rave reviews.

Cheers

Morgan
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MorganDK
if you want Luxury you may have to use cash instead of points.
Are there any exceptions, worldwide, to this golden rule of luxury hotels?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, IHG Plat
IHG has a Hotels Anywhere redemption option. Redemption value is generally poor, but if you prefer Taj Exotica to HIX Male...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:52 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Go to the St Regis at Punta Mita.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW P, Marriott P, AA Gold, HH Gold
Thank you all for the advice! We will look into those properties. We actually vacationed at the St. Regis in Puerto Rico last summer and loved the property.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tmarie
Thank you all for the advice! We will look into those properties. We actually vacationed at the St. Regis in Puerto Rico last summer and loved the property.
You got lucky.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Are there any exceptions, worldwide, to this golden rule of luxury hotels?
RC CPS.

...and soon, FS properties.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
God, I hope not!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
RC CPS.

I like most Ritz properties I have stayed at, but I am afraid to proclaim this in the Luxury Hotels forum!

We enjoy our weekends at the Ritz Half Moon Bay, our recent favorite...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:48 am
Suspended

@ Congrats

Go to the St Regis at Punta Mita.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
There are a variety of very nice options, particularly from the perspective of St Regis and Ritz Carlton. The RC Reserve and the St Regis in Puerto Rico are among my favorites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.