Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Do you have a minimum room size that is acceptable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a minimum room size that is acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS NY jan 2017 (has changed i think) >
500ft2 $745 room
600ft2 $795 deluxe
600ft2 $870 premium
300ft2 $895 studio
600ft2 $1045 terrace
500ft2 $1525 jr suite - floorplan posted by simpletastes
800ft2 $1875 exec suite
hope they kept 2 studio suites on 50th - they didnt, turned into 3BR
seems (few?) studio and jr have high specific corner views

June 2016: The newly remodelled Upper Tower and select inventory in the Lower Tower are open to guests.

Winter 2016: All guest rooms and suites will have been remodelled and the Upper and Lower Towers will be open to guests.
MSPeconomist, if just one room in the category is different, it impacts description

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I happily had a tiny single room with one twin bed. It was in the attic of the Grand Hotel and had amazing views as it was located several floor above their best suites...I've also had some small rooms in idiosyncratic castle hotels that were great even if they weren't large and might not even have been luxurious in the traditional sense.
indeed.

my question would be: what does it take for one to accept less than one's normal minimum accommodations size ?

property itself (15 room island in north america with inclusive rates) was why i had no problem paying several thousand dollars a night for this room / bathroom that would be labeled tiny in this thread / forum. no closet, let alone walk-in, but only armoire with hangers. and yes, that is toilet next to shower. entire exterior shower window / wall (corner IIRC) folded open to outside.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:19 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Worse than a small room, is a room where there is not enough space to put toiletries in the bathroom, clothes in the closet and the suitcase somewhere not in the way. Even som larger suites do not get this right.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Worse than a small room, is a room where there is not enough space to put toiletries in the bathroom, clothes in the closet and the suitcase somewhere not in the way. Even som larger suites do not get this right.
I agree. It is extraordinary how many vast suites have tiny wardrobes and nowhere to store the suitcases. Bathrooms are even worse - lots of hotel toiletries, flowers and 'stuff', but nowhere for the guest to put their own possessions.

Issy Sharp used to insist on single vanities in bathrooms, so that guests would have more counter space for their toiletries. He did not believe that couples stood together whilst cleaning their teeth and washing their faces. Indeed, I wonder how many couples do this?

Designer hotels are often the worst offenders when it comes to bad bathroom ergonomics. It all looks wonderful, until you come to use it!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I agree. It is extraordinary how many vast suites have tiny wardrobes
Can Count the suites on nearly 1 hand were my luggage were (without unpacking of course) well stored
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:30 am

The other thing that needs rethinking is the fold-out luggage rack. These may be fine for wheel-on luggage, but completely useless for anything larger. A nice challenge for hotel designers methinks!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The other thing that needs rethinking is the fold-out luggage rack. These may be fine for wheel-on luggage, but completely useless for anything larger. A nice challenge for hotel designers methinks!
I always need 2 for 1 piece. I always like if if the illumined cupboard doesn´t close with my luggage inside
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
IMHO the "minimum" size of rooms/suites in hotels depends on the location of the hotel and the occasion for travel itself.

Having said this, we try to have in many cases good sized rooms, sometimes junior suites and in rarer cases full suites. As mentioned this depends on location, cost and occasion for our travels. A good mix of quality, size, value and location would be most appreciated.

Cheers & Safe Travels.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.