Best country hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
My French list would be:

Chateau de Bagnols near Lyons
L'Oustau de Baumaniere in Provence
Auberge de l'Ill & Hotel des Berges in Alsace

These are the three most beautiful hotels/restaurants I have ever been to, with food to match the surroundings which is unusual, the latter two especially. I think maybe Bagnols food is less elevated.

I have less experience of Germany but Bareiss in the Black Forest was quite incredible in its facilities and its food.

In the UK we have an embarrassing liking for chintzy things, the stately home syndrome etc etc. I think perhaps only Chewton Glen is seriously world class.
Not true!

The new Tree Houses at Chewton Glen do not have a trace of chintz. Lime Wood in Hampshire - no chintz - and both top notch. Things have changed considerably in the UK over the past few years.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:47 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Pausanias
...In the UK we have an embarrassing liking for chintzy things, the stately home syndrome etc etc. I think perhaps only Chewton Glen is seriously world class.
I liked the chintz at Chewton Glen (if I saw chintz/stately home - I knew I was in the UK ). I don't recall the food being very good (but my stay was a long time ago). The food at Gidleigh and Inverlochy was better (but those stays were a long time ago too). BTW - one place with a stunning setting was the Inn on the Lake (in Ullswater in the Lake District). Not luxury - but the setting more than made up for that.

How is Manoir aux Quat Saisons these days? I will never forget our stay there because it was during the Great Hurricane of '87 (and we got slammed pretty good). Robyn
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:30 pm

I'm sorry if I expressed myself wrongly - I excluded Chewton Glen from the chintz brigade which is why I rate it so highly. I was thinking of places like Hambleton Hall, Mallory Court, Sharrow Bay and so on, many of those Relais & Chateaux places.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Gravetye Manor in West Sussex
www.gravetyemanor.co.uk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.