Is there a Luxury hotel in Genoa Italy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a Luxury hotel in Genoa Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Question Is there a Luxury hotel in Genoa Italy?

This past Christmas my wife and I traveled to Genoa to visit relatives and we stayed, on their recommendation, at the Bristol Palace which was supposed to be a 4 star hotel but which turned out to be an absolute dump.
We are headed back to Genoa for next Christmas and while I know that Genoa does not have any true luxury hotels of the same caliber as Milan I was hoping someone in this forum could recommend something half way decent in Genoa.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: AZ CFP, OK Plat, LH FTL, SPG Plat, HH Dia, MR Gold, Carlson Gold, BW Dia, PC Plat AMB, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by laf747
We are headed back to Genoa for next Christmas and while I know that Genoa does not have any true luxury hotels of the same caliber as Milan I was hoping someone in this forum could recommend something half way decent in Genoa.
The Meilà (ex Bentley) and the Savoia come to mind:

http://www.melia-hotels.com/en/hotel...enoa-6427.html
http://www.grandhotelsavoiagenova.it/

The Bentley was the most luxurious in town. It's now run by Melià, but I'm told they've kept the splurge.
I've had some friends stay at the Savoia. They seemed to be quite happy with it.

If über-luxury is your ticket, you should get out of town and check out the Splendido in Porto Fino.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
I would also recommend the Hotel Splendido at Portofino, which is a beautiful hotel. However it has an annual shut down, and I believe it is closed at Christmas time.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Yes the Splendido would be our first choice however it is closed over Christmas and Portofino is an acutal ghost town that time of year with nothing open. We walked around Portofino this past Christmas night to see the Christmas lights and literally nothing was open.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by QF Lad
I would also recommend the Hotel Splendido at Portofino
Indeed

Genoa is not the most pleasant city (harbour with ugly highway by the sea).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Indeed

Genoa is not the most pleasant city (harbour with ugly highway by the sea).
The rudest people I have met in Italy are in Genova. During the boat show also even the most inexpensive hotels charge >500 EUR per night. I don't have a lot of pleasant things to say about Genova. The last time I was there a taxi refused to take me where I was going because I insisted he used the meter- it is only when I got the police involved that he actually took me. I would have just used another cab- he was the only one. Unbelievable.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On the way to Portofino there's a town (Santa Margarita perhaps?) that has a promising looking large older hotel in a prominent location. It seems to have a vague connection to the Splendido, perhaps the same owners. The Splendido has a newer small outpost down in Portofino village about a block from the water with a restaurant and perhaps twenty rooms; it might be open out of season when the main property is closed. The OP might want to check these possibilities for staying outside of Genoa.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On the way to Portofino there's a town (Santa Margarita perhaps?) that has a promising looking large older hotel in a prominent location. It seems to have a vague connection to the Splendido, perhaps the same owners. The Splendido has a newer small outpost down in Portofino village about a block from the water with a restaurant and perhaps twenty rooms; it might be open out of season when the main property is closed. The OP might want to check these possibilities for staying outside of Genoa.
On the drive to Portofino we passed the hotel you are referring to, which name I unfortunately cannot remember, and it did look very nice from the outside. Unfortunately due to family considerations we need to stay in the City of Genoa so it looks like we will have to select either the Savoia or the Melia
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the drive to Portofino we passed the hotel you are referring to, which name I unfortunately cannot remember, and it did look very nice from the outside. Unfortunately due to family considerations we need to stay in the City of Genoa so it looks like we will have to select either the Savoia or the Melia
Out of the two I would choose the Melia.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Out of the two I would choose the Melia.
If you are familiar with both could you please mention why you would select the Melia over the Savoia? Many thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are familiar with both could you please mention why you would select the Melia over the Savoia? Many thanks.
I have stayed at the Melia and it was pretty good (for Genova).

I have not stayed at the Savoia- however my colleagues have and said they prefer the Melia- hence why I stayed there and why I posted that way.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have stayed at the Melia and it was pretty good (for Genova).

I have not stayed at the Savoia- however my colleagues have and said they prefer the Melia- hence why I stayed there and why I posted that way.
Thanks
Old May 8, 2014, 9:04 am

I'm looking to stay 2 nights in Genoa before continuing on to the Splendido in Portofino for 5 nights next summer. I'm trying to decide between the Hotel Continental and the Hotel Bristol Palace. Any suggestions?

PS - Looking for European old world grand dame luxury over modern and contemporary design.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OliverB
I'm looking to stay 2 nights in Genoa before continuing on to the Splendido in Portofino for 5 nights next summer. I'm trying to decide between the Hotel Continental and the Hotel Bristol Palace. Any suggestions?

PS - Looking for European old world grand dame luxury over modern and contemporary design.
We stayed at The Hotel Bristol Palace in December 2012 and while it has "old world grand dame" appeal it is certainly not a luxury property. I would rate it a 3 star property at best and that is being generous.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:52 am

We stayed at The Hotel Bristol Palace in December 2012 and while it has "old world grand dame" appeal it is certainly not a luxury property. I would rate it a 3 star property at best and that is being generous.
Thank you laf747,

As we'll be combining the trip with 5 nights in Portofino and 3 nights at the FS Milano, I don't mind sacrificing five-star service so long as the property is well cared for and rooms nicely appointed. Would you recommend a stay at the Bristol Palace based on these aspects? I certainly prefer the location and "walkability" to the Hotel Continental. I take it there are no true luxury properties in Genoa that will meet our ideal criteria, so I wonder if this would be our best option for old world charm in the city?

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.