Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portland, OR?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have thought about staying there- it is a bit out of the way but it does look nice. The Nines has the most atrocious valet parking service- 30 minutes to get your car with people standing around staring at you and doing nothing. Just the valet parking alone is enough for me not to stay there again.
If the lobby is at all busy when you arrive and depart, the front desk service at the Nines can be horrendous.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the lobby is at all busy when you arrive and depart, the front desk service at the Nines can be horrendous.
The valet parking is very poor in terms of service.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

We ended up at the Vintage Plaza. As this is a borderline luxury hotel (albeit one of the best choices in the area) I'll leave it up to the moderators as to whether a review is appropriate.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by nba1017
We ended up at the Vintage Plaza. As this is a borderline luxury hotel (albeit one of the best choices in the area) I'll leave it up to the moderators as to whether a review is appropriate.
Though not a moderator, I say you post the review here. There are no true luxury hotels in Portland, but I think it's well agreed on FT that Kimpton is best in class in the city. As such, I think it is appropriate.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
just did a 1 night stay at The Nines and quite enjoyed it. I was upgraded to a Corner Club Suite (I'm a SPG PLT100) and it was very nice and well kept. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating and I did like the club lounge. In the evening, they had out 4 different single serving appetizers that all seemed restaurant quality (the short rib on potato pure was excellent!) and it wasn't too crowded at all.

It seems like I had a unique stay largely due to lack of crowd, but I would happily go back and think its the nicest in Portland.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by playbbg
just did a 1 night stay at The Nines and quite enjoyed it. I was upgraded to a Corner Club Suite (I'm a SPG PLT100) and it was very nice and well kept. The front desk staff was very helpful and accommodating and I did like the club lounge. In the evening, they had out 4 different single serving appetizers that all seemed restaurant quality (the short rib on potato pure was excellent!) and it wasn't too crowded at all.

It seems like I had a unique stay largely due to lack of crowd, but I would happily go back and think its the nicest in Portland.
Glad you enjoyed. Ultimately, I was unimpressed with the Nines pre-arrival service and lack of rooms that really fit my needs so, as mentioned, I ended up at the Vintage Plaza.

I booked a Duplex Suite (not sure what they call it) which is the hotel's best offering. My reservation was handled very kindly at the last minute by the front desk staff. Service was prompt and personable at check-in and we enjoyed a drink in the bar after walking around for a bit.

The suite was very nice for the rate paid, $300. It's more of a loft than a duplex, as the upstairs living area has no windows. However, the upstairs is nicely appointed with a chaise, white vinyl chair, desk, and superbly comfortable bed backed up against an exterior brick wall for maximum quiet. The bathroom, in keeping with Kimpton's motif, had a good shower and excellent deep soaking jacuzzi tub.

The living area, downstairs, featured another 500ish sf with a sofa, dining/desk area, wet bar, and cocktail table. It also has a nice half bath. As it's on the corner, natural lighting was decent although I wish they had used curtains which better accentuated the view. Regardless, it was a solidly four-star suite with a nice layout for two friends and a very nice bath area.

Based on my expectations, the service was excellent. I was consistently addressed by name and had every request taken care of promptly and courteously. In particular, the restaurant made a fantastic off-the-menu dish for us and had it sent up. The evening wine hour was effectively a mini-lounge, with six local Oregon/WA wines being poured alongside homemade hard cider and small snacks.

Overall, I didn't love the Vintage Plaza but was very, very impressed with the product they offer. We had a drink in the Nines and felt that the hotel was, as another poster mentioned, trying very hard to a(e?)ffect an NYC vibe. As a New Yorker, this is the last thing I want in Portland, Oregon.

Other hotels I would consider for my next trip would be the Heathman and perhaps the Benson, across from the VP. Hope this is useful, and if you have any questions from my visit ask away.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I get to Portland around 5 times a year - was just there last month. Would definitely NOT recommend the Nines. I'm SPG Platinum and no service to speak of. The restaurant is good though but you can eat at the restaurant without staying at the hotel. Their staff is sub-par to say the least.

I would definitely recommend one of the Kimpton properties over the Nines. Gorgeous room, wonderful staff, good location. Portland is a great city - make sure you get out from city central though to see some of the real sites (and away from the meth addicts! ). Enjoy your stay!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't forget The Inn (?) at Riverplace. It's a bit like Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica in style, pleasant and fun. I like the location in an up-and-coming somewhat residential area, but it's not really downtown. Also, it's more of a high end boutique four-star, not true luxury. It's a nice competitor and alternative to The Nines, which seems to have an attitude problem, so that SPG elites don't seem to be treated as well as we were at first.
+1 for Riverplace. A Kimpton Hotel. Not a Portland expert but stayed there and thought it was lovely. Park nearby, on the water, plenty enough restaurants to walk to.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I was there last weekend and gave The Heathman a shot. I really liked the hard product of the room. Mine was a really nice size on a corner with a funky but very functional bathroom. But service was lacking on several occasions. It's a good four star hotel, but I think I would do the Nines club level as first choice.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by nba1017
... trying very hard to a(e?)ffect an NYC vibe. As a New Yorker, this is the last thing I want in Portland, Oregon.
That isn't how I would describe it. It is more an attempt at an upscale 'W'-style cool. It largely fails, as do most all 'W's. I do like the restaurant at the Nines.

PS -- I experienced the awful front desk. I recall waiting 30-40 minutes to check out from my last stay. I didn't valet park. That would have added another 30-60 minutes.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Great Nines Suite stay at The Nines hotel

For those interested, we just had a very nice stay in the Nines Suite at the Nines Hotel. I saw the dated Heathman; I'll take the Nines any day.

Service was good, but not perfect, but then it was much worse at the oft-revered Allison Inn and Spa. I get the feeling that service issues in Portland hotels have as much to do with the nature of the Portland market (not much luxury and more casual service) as anything else, much like South Florida and the Caribbean.

In the end, we gladly would return to the Nines. It absolutely is the toast of Portland IMO.

My review of The Nines in Portland:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...rful-stay-2123

My review of The Allison Inn & Spa:

http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...r-service-2125
FlyerEC and uggboy like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 27, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mstraveler
+1 for Riverplace. A Kimpton Hotel. Not a Portland expert but stayed there and thought it was lovely. Park nearby, on the water, plenty enough restaurants to walk to.
When I stayed, it wasn't a Kimpton, although it did participate in FHR and might have been in Preferred, Leading, etc.

Their rooms are much bigger than normal rooms at the Nines (but no lounge) and the location is fun in good weather.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:06 pm
Original Member

Update? Best in Portland? Will be doing Powells, gardens and the main library.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:40 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KatW
Update? Best in Portland? Will be doing Powells, gardens and the main library.
I believe the Ritz will be the best bet for new hardware. Nines is getting old.

I haven't stayed there yet, but will try it out next week.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Been several years, last visit pre-covid.
Used to do The Nines. At one point that was a classy, boutique-y, design-forward place.
Always liked it and it had some vibrant energy to it, but even at its best, it was never true 5*.
Now that it's become something of a 'classic' for Portland, hard to know how updated it is.
Also stayed once at HiLo. Again, younger set, 'upscale' maybe, not lux.

Portland is one of those excellent American cities that has always seemed somewhat starved for a true luxury hotel.
Looking at this newer RC, I applaud M/B for having a go at it. Looks nice enough.
I agree it might be your best bet (at least for the new finishes/bells/whistles hard product), Kat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.