Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The American Club (Kohler, WI)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

The American Club (Kohler, WI)

Currently at the American Club having an over-all nice stay. I will write up a full report in a couple weeks after a whirlwind bit of travel. However, I have a question for the sophisticated and well-experienced members of this forum.

Because it's the off-season, the hotel only has its main bar/pub as well as a formal dining room open for dinner. The pub is jam-packed with both a retirement party for a hotel employee and a large (100+) group of local people here for a conference. The atmosphere is such that a hotel guest cannot get a seat, and regardless, the vibe is very much an insider's one with hotel employees drinking alongside locals.

I wouldn't have a problem with this expect that it is in effect a private party, and the hotel didn't just close down the bar as they should have. Any thoughts on this? Not in terms of compensation, but as to whether this automatically excludes the property from true luxury consideration. In my books, despite an otherwise really nice experience, this completely detracted from the the advertised amenities and feel of the resort.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm Reason: Title clarified with geographic location
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:24 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by nba1017
this completely detracted from the the advertised amenities and feel of the resort.
I don't remember seeing in their advertising a promise to keep all locals out of their F&B establishments and making sure the "vibe" wasn't too insider. Your thread could have easily been about the hotel feeling too empty and the F&B outlets being total ghost-towns with no vibe at all.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Currently at the American Club having an over-all nice stay. I will write up a full report in a couple weeks after a whirlwind bit of travel. However, I have a question for the sophisticated and well-experienced members of this forum.

Because it's the off-season, the hotel only has its main bar/pub as well as a formal dining room open for dinner. The pub is jam-packed with both a retirement party for a hotel employee and a large (100+) group of local people here for a conference. The atmosphere is such that a hotel guest cannot get a seat, and regardless, the vibe is very much an insider's one with hotel employees drinking alongside locals.

I wouldn't have a problem with this expect that it is in effect a private party, and the hotel didn't just close down the bar as they should have. Any thoughts on this? Not in terms of compensation, but as to whether this automatically excludes the property from true luxury consideration. In my books, despite an otherwise really nice experience, this completely detracted from the the advertised amenities and feel of the resort.
We found the hotel staff to be geniunely friendly and authentically local. Moreover, the food and the service were very much in line with other high end luxury properties. Might I recommend the Winery Bar by the Immigrant Room for drinks, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mktozd, website shows only 2 onsite open sun-thurs, as OP stated in post on tues, presumably regarding mon and/or sun.

formal dining room open for dinner
http://www.americanclubresort.com/re...wisc_room.html
"Resort casual attire. Reservations strongly recommended."

pub...open for dinner

pub is jam-packed with both a retirement party for a hotel employee and a large (100+) group of local people here for a conference. The atmosphere is such that a hotel guest cannot get a seat
http://www.americanclubresort.com/re.../hp_index.html
takes reservations
now, hotel should have told you to make reservations, especially if they knew of groups

youve run into full hotel dining outlets, but not full with 2 local groups?
no local finance people for example?
close down the bar as they should have
then guests wouldnt have option of standing. can guests leave with an order?
interestingly i dont see exclusive use mentioned on website

worse situation at rosewood sand hill >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post18887310
Originally Posted by mktozd
Horse & Plow is always busy even in the summer and I would suggest going early or making reservations.
odd only wisconsin room says "Reservations strongly recommended."
i guess because there are presumably a lot more seats in horse & plow

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 31, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
mktozd, website shows only 2 onsite open sun-thurs, as OP stated in post on tues, presumably regarding mon and/or sun.

http://www.americanclubresort.com/re...wisc_room.html
"Resort casual attire. Reservations strongly recommended."

http://www.americanclubresort.com/re.../hp_index.html
takes reservations
now, hotel should have told you to make reservations, especially if they knew of groups

youve run into full hotel dining outlets, but not full with 2 local groups?
no local finance people for example?

then guests wouldnt have option of standing. can guests leave with an order?
interestingly i dont see exclusive use mentioned on website

worse situation at rosewood sand hill >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post18887310
Horse & Plow is always busy even in the summer and I would suggest going early or making reservations. As well, if you are not happy with something, mention it to management, I would be surprised if they dont fix it.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
We found the hotel staff to be geniunely friendly and authentically local. Moreover, the food and the service were very much in line with other high end luxury properties. Might I recommend the Winery Bar by the Immigrant Room for drinks, etc.
While I agree with your comments on the staff...and the golf is certainly wonderful...I found the F&B to be middling, at best. I tried several different on-property venues and could not consider any to be consistent with high end luxury properties.

My room (a spa room in the Carriage House) had [5] Kohler sinks, which I think was a record for me in terms of number of sinks in my room.

I would gladly return to this property...but purely for the golf.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
While I agree with your comments on the staff...and the golf is certainly wonderful...I found the F&B to be middling, at best. I tried several different on-property venues and could not consider any to be consistent with high end luxury properties.

My room (a spa room in the Carriage House) had [5] Kohler sinks, which I think was a record for me in terms of number of sinks in my room.

I would gladly return to this property...but purely for the golf.
The best for F& B was the Winery Bar, Immigrant Room and Brunch.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
The best for F& B was the Winery Bar, Immigrant Room and Brunch.
I tried both the Immigrant Room (their flagship, iirc) and the Winery Bar. Neither were world class, IMHO. Perhaps good for rural Wisconsin, but not much more.

I don't think anyone should visit this property for the food.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I tried both the Immigrant Room (their flagship, iirc) and the Winery Bar. Neither were world class, IMHO. Perhaps good for rural Wisconsin, but not much more.

I don't think anyone should visit this property for the food.
All depends on your reference group. Compared to FS George V, no of course not. Compared to the composite of food offered at properties on this board, I would suggest it is good, but not exceptional. The Winery Bar was probably our favorite spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.