Four Seasons vs. Westin Philadelphia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

I've got an upcoming stay in Philadelphia. I'm trying to decide between the Westin Philadelphia and the Four Seasons. Which would you recommend?

PS. I'm only a Starwood Gold so I don't think my room upgrade chances would be good.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've got an upcoming stay in Philadelphia. I'm trying to decide between the Westin Philadelphia and the Four Seasons. Which would you recommend?

PS. I'm only a Starwood Gold so I don't think my room upgrade chances would be good.
FS wins there (despite a crappy location)-- but Sofitel, Hyatt Bellevue, Ritz (in that order) are my preferences. Several threads about Philly hotels in here if you look.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:09 pm

I would also recommend the Four Seasons or the Ritz. The Ritz is quite centrally located. Book through a Four Seasons Preferred agent or Ritz STARS agent to improve your chances of an accommodation upgrade, as well as additional complimentary amenities.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:05 pm

I'm sure the FS wins, but keep in mind it is B list FS at best. It's in need of a major renovation. Depending on the difference in rates you might want to just stay at the Westin.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:32 pm

The last time I was there, the Rittenhouse was very nice. The location is wonderful!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I haven't stayed at the FS but I have stayed at the Westin and don't plan on repeating that experience. There are too many other great options.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I prefer Sofitel, Palomar and Westin (former Ritz property) all on 17th within a block of each other. I'm not a fan of this Four Season property and the fact that you need to walk a bit/cab to Rittenhouse square and all restaurants. our FS level employees stay at the Ritz or Rittenhouse.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I stayed at the FS and Westin (when it was the Ritz), well over a decade ago.

The FS is a little bit out of the way.

The "new" Ritz (probably 10 years old at this point) has looked intriguing to me. If you could book an other-than-run-of-the-house room there, I think you'd be quite pleased. The building is in an old bank. Recall you can earn Ritz Rewards or Marriott points there if points are your motivation.

The Rittenhouse, however, wins hands down for best location. I've never stayed there, but knowing the type of folks that Philatravelgirl looks after, I'm sure it is of very good quality. In NY speak (if you speak the same), its location is sort of a Gramercy Park meets the CBD location.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is it still the case that the FS Philly is in poor shape? What about the in-house dining options? I get a $100 F&B credit through FHR so I won't need to go anywhere if the restaurant is decent.

Alternatively I would try the Sofitel I guess.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:34 am

Probably the worst FS in the United States. It was built around the same time as Boston and DC, the only difference is both of those properties have had major renovations. Rooms and public spaces are in terrible shape. F&B options are pretty poor. That said, I would still pick this property over the Westin...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS vs rittenhouse for spa?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS vs rittenhouse for spa?
Donīt know the FS, but stayed at Rittenhouse. The Pool-Area and Gym is really tired like the whole hotel. You find pictures on oyster.com and they are even a little bit "too nice". Itīs like a swim-hall at a school....
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:44 am

I'd pick the FS, but neither have a nice Spa.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

The Rittenhouse spa Adolph Biecker is moving out soon (not sure of your stay dates) - they are good and can book online- Jackie for massage fantastic. Pool/gym small used by residents so never busy. Not sure of new spa vendor. don't know much of FS spa but since i use many in the city, this one not even on my radar. My normal day spa is Rescue Rittenhouse about a block away that I recommend -Janine for massage if available
As for FS, the restaurant is fine if you have credit to use but frankly Philly has so many amazing food options it's a shame to eat at any hotel IMO. spend less at Sofitel or Palomar and use savings to eat dinner out. The FS hotel itself is fine but a bit isolated from Rittenhouse square restaurants/nightlife
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
I stayed at the FS in Phila. twice over the past 6 weeks. Both were four night stays. I think the hotel has seen better days. I thought the shower pressure was a little low in both my rooms, the remote for the TV needed new batteries in one of the rooms, it was just not the typical FS experience. The health club is small but functional. I didn't use the spa services, but the pool was jammed (maybe not jammed-but "crowded")with families and kids on the weekend. I just think the hotel is a little tired. I do love the concierge Jean. She has been there since I started staying there. We did not eat at the restaurant, preferring to walk to Rittenhouse Square and eat there. I have stayed once at the Westin and once at the RC. We keep coming back to the FS. IMO, Westin has better proximity to restaurants and the like, and I really can't remember much about the RC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.