South-East Asian Delights Part III, Amanusa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South-East Asian Delights Part III, Amanusa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:31 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
The geckos eat the insects

Great report again SBt. You do take great photos.

I thought Amanusa was on Nusa Dua beach but having read your report I looked at it on Google maps and it is a long way back. I'm afraid I always have to have an ocean view when staying in a 'beach' property so even if I could afford to stay in an Aman I don't think I'd choose this one. Nusa Dua is for me unfortunately an overdeveloped enclave of big resorts. All the beaches are supposed to be public by law but the Balinese are restricted from entering Nusa Dua.

You do get distant ocean views as Amanusa is set on a hill - a wide expanse beyond the golf course & above rooftops of those faraway hotels some of which weren't even there 3 years ago
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Exactly. That's why they are my friends. I do not at all mind them inside villas.
I live in India, so I'm very used to the relatively tame house lizard: http://www.google.co.in/imgres?um=1&...7&tx=79&ty=102

This one was a monster though, the kind that you expect roaming about in gardens and forests, not on the roof of your room. A cross between a house lizard and a Komodo. 1.5 feet guys! This was not your average visitor. Scarred for life. Wish I had a picture.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Nice photos. But why does this place looks so deserted?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:10 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Nice photos. But why does this place looks so deserted?
If OP is like me, he/she takes pictures in the morning when the light is good and before other guests come to use the pool/beach/restaurants. That's why my pictures look "deserted" at least. But of course, one often experience that Amanresorts feels very private with almost no other guests since they are very large and with few rooms, i.e. some days you might have the pool or something for yourself even if there are many other guests.

Or did you mean something else?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
If OP is like me, he/she takes pictures in the morning when the light is good and before other guests come to use the pool/beach/restaurants. That's why my pictures look "deserted" at least. But of course, one often experience that Amanresorts feels very private with almost no other guests since they are very large and with few rooms, i.e. some days you might have the pool or something for yourself even if there are many other guests.

Or did you mean something else?
Deserted as it there seems to be no other guests around. Perhaps as you said, the OP avoided having anyone in the frame before taking the shot. My only Aman stay so far is Amankila and as I recalled, there are few guests but not so deserted.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Senator
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Deserted as it there seems to be no other guests around. Perhaps as you said, the OP avoided having anyone in the frame before taking the shot. My only Aman stay so far is Amankila and as I recalled, there are few guests but not so deserted.
If OP is like me, he/she takes pictures in the morning when the light is good and before other guests come to use the pool/beach/restaurants.
You are both right. We do try to make pictures without too many people in the frame, but I must confess we cannot take too much credit for that as it is true what Musken says, you always feel like you are alone most of the time in these resorts. Surprisingly, of the resorts we visited in our last trip, Amanusa was actually the most `crowded`, relatively speaking of course
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by rjhunjhu
I live in India, so I'm very used to the relatively tame house lizard:

http://www.thaiworldview.com/animal/

This one was a monster though, the kind that you expect roaming about in gardens and forests, not on the roof of your room. A cross between a house lizard and a Komodo. 1.5 feet guys! This was not your average visitor. Scarred for life. Wish I had a picture.
Well, the one we had was thankfully outside & slightly smaller .
The noise it made kept us awake but we only saw it the next day - quite a shock then for us too .
Good thing not seen that first night - the fright would have put me off the Bali Amans for good.. So have not gone on the Aman Komodo trip yet.
As it is, we've returned numerous times to Amankila where our giant gecko introduction was.
Glad to have celebrated their 20 th & see veteran staff sharing in the occasion with special dress too.
Just have to remember that it's how it is in Indonesia & not get distressed from what is the ' normal ' occurrence for the region ( saw similar at the Datai too ).

The recent visit was the busiest I have seen Kila at breakfast - not surprising - but still ' deserted ' otherwise. Also saw guests at Nusa but mainly around the pool.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 8, 2012 at 8:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.