TRIP REPORT: Amantaka, Amansara, and Amanpuri

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRIP REPORT: Amantaka, Amansara, and Amanpuri

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 7:40 pm

Thanks!

Such a great trip report---really enjoyed reading it!

Amantaka and Amansara hadn't previously been particularly high on my 'to-visit' list, but your report has me really wanting to try them
Old May 15, 2012, 7:36 am

You are following in my footsteps! Glad you enjoyed them as much as I did.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Groombridge
Well, if I were to place all Aman resorts on a spectrum from "nearly 100% cultural experience" to "nearly 100% beach resort w/very limited cultural attractions," I'd place Amankora on the far side of the "cultural" spectrum and Amanyara on the far side of the non-cultural/beach resort spectrum.

And yes, Amansara would be much closer to the Amankora end of the spectrum than the Amanyara end of the spectrum, and Amantaka closer to the middle, but still on the cultural side of the spectrum.

But the wonderful thing about Aman is that even the culture-focused Amans are really and truly resorts (think Amankora's wonderful spa building at their Paro lodge). Aman blurs boundaries between city resort and cultural resort and beach resort really beautifully.

I do think that folks tend to rally around the Amanresorts that are closer to the middle of the spectrum -- the Bali reports in particular, that provide such a perfect balance between culture and resort.
Extraordinarily well-put, Groombridge. Understood, and much appreciated.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Thank you for your amazing report!!! Love the pictures! Amanupuri sunset is breathtaking !
Old May 15, 2012, 10:43 pm

Great report, thanks.

Edited to ask: Can I ask if you considered alternatives to Amansara? To my admittedly uninformed eye, it seems as though there is a greater possibility for options around Siem Reap that might be comparable to Amansara than, say, comparable options in Phuket for Amanpuri.

Last edited by Homer15; May 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm
Old May 17, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Homer15
Great report, thanks.

Edited to ask: Can I ask if you considered alternatives to Amansara? To my admittedly uninformed eye, it seems as though there is a greater possibility for options around Siem Reap that might be comparable to Amansara than, say, comparable options in Phuket for Amanpuri.
Not really. The Raffles property tends to be a tourist trap, with tour buses constantly in the drive. It is right across the road from Amansara, but feels as though it is in an entirely different universe. More 4-star, I would say.

Hotel de la Paix is closed. It has been taken over by Park Hyatt and will reopen as this next year.

Nothing else is worthy of consideration.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:36 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Not really. The Raffles property tends to be a tourist trap, with tour buses constantly in the drive. It is right across the road from Amansara, but feels as though it is in an entirely different universe. More 4-star, I would say.

Hotel de la Paix is closed. It has been taken over by Park Hyatt and will reopen as this next year.

" ^
Amansara

As mentioned, no alternatives !

But if you'd like to try something with a little character , there's Residence d'Angkor , not far from Amansara
Old May 18, 2012, 6:28 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Homer15
Can I ask if you considered alternatives to Amansara? To my admittedly uninformed eye, it seems as though there is a greater possibility for options around Siem Reap that might be comparable to Amansara than, say, comparable options in Phuket for Amanpuri.
I really didn't consider any alternatives to Amansara, particularly since we were also staying at Amantaka and Amanpuri. It is a great pleasure to stay back-to-back at several Amans, because they will make everything so very easy for you, in terms of transfers, and also provide nice incentives to combine stays (free meals, transfers, spa credits, etc.)
Old May 19, 2012, 10:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Wonderful report. Thank you for taking the time to put together.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just had an outstanding dinner at Puri. I think the Thai food is so good here and the setting of the main restaurant is so sublime that Puri needs top rating in the food category. (Caveat - I'm a huge fan of Thai cuisine).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:01 pm

Heading to the Amansara in two weeks...This report helps to strengthen my decision to stay there.

Looking forward to 2 full days of seeing the sites of Angkor Wat, while relaxing at an amazing resort.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle

Why would you not consider La Residence D'Angkor?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Why would you not consider La Residence D'Angkor?
It's not a bad option - Orient-Express do a nice job here, but when you have stayed at Amansara, it's no option at all. You really cannot compare them in terms of quality/standards/service etc etc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA-2MM EXP
We are going to Siem Reap at the end of March and will have 6 or 7 nights available until we have to get to our next stop (Tokyo). We are considering doing the Indochina Past & Present package at Amansara / Amantaka, but I'm wondering if 3 nights in each location will be enough time? We will essentially have 2 full days in each location (considering the travel days and our late arrival into Siem Reap from Shanghai). Is it better to spend more time in just Siem Reap... or is Luang Prabang/Amantaka not to be missed?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyboyNYC
We are going to Siem Reap at the end of March and will have 6 or 7 nights available until we have to get to our next stop (Tokyo). We are considering doing the Indochina Past & Present package at Amansara / Amantaka, but I'm wondering if 3 nights in each location will be enough time? We will essentially have 2 full days in each location (considering the travel days and our late arrival into Siem Reap from Shanghai). Is it better to spend more time in just Siem Reap... or is Luang Prabang/Amantaka not to be missed?
If the choice between spending 6 nights in Siem Reap versus 3 nights at both destinations, I'd go for 3 nights at both. You can seen plenty of Angkor Wat in 3 nights -- beyond that, all the temples blur together and feel very similar and are, mostly, overrun with visitors, so an escape into the cooler climes of Luang Prabang will be a nice follow-up. I'd check to see how rainy each place is likely to be in late March, as I believe that's close to when the rains start up again. I think you'll still have time to relax at both properties, even with just 3 nights at each, so I'd opt for combining as I think 6 nights is simply more than you'll want/need in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. (And this is coming from someone who has a high tolerance for lots of sightseeing -- but I was ready to be done with Siem Reap after 4 nights at Amansara -- which was perfect and plenty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.