Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new hotels in Paris and London

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 3:13 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by BENLEE
David O, out of the list of London hotels you surveyed, I have only stayed at the Four Seasons but plan to try 45 Park Lane. Would you rank the Bulgari being superior to the Four Seasons London in terms of the physical product, ie beds, rooms and furnishing? How about the location?
Regarding location, the FS is on Park Lane next to Hyde Park (west side of Mayfair). The Bulgari is in Knightsbridge, right around the corner from Harrod's.

Bulgari has larger rooms and has more of a sleek and high fashion contemporary look, simple lines, loads of varnished rosewood paneling. Feels more expensive and maybe more trendy.

FS is more of an elegant, classic contemporary design. It feels warmer and more elegant to me.

But very much a matter of personal choice!
Old May 24, 2012, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding the Corinthia, you can't make a mobile call from many of the rooms, at least if your supplier is Orange. Internet access is also done on the cheap so often email sites didn't load properly. The TV set once completely froze up, sort of like a Microsoft blue screen of death, requiring engineering to fix it. Service, which DavidO didn't have the time to test, is nothing special.

There definitely are significant size differences between the various executive rooms.

On the plus side, the one lunch I had in the restaurant was well-priced and tasty.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old May 25, 2012, 9:54 am

Although it is quite smart, Corinthia is not, IMHO, a deluxe hotel. It is a bit like The Langham - a notch or two down from the serious contenders.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:04 am

I stayed in Four Seasons London for a couple of nights after my business trip. the stay was memorable and the services was impeccable. The location of Hyde park tube can't be beaten.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Although it is quite smart, Corinthia is not, IMHO, a deluxe hotel. It is a bit like The Langham - a notch or two down from the serious contenders.
Very apt comparison. Having stayed at both, I agree completely.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:30 am

Nice tips. Very detailed and useful. Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
Regarding location, the FS is on Park Lane next to Hyde Park (west side of Mayfair). The Bulgari is in Knightsbridge, right around the corner from Harrod's.

Bulgari has larger rooms and has more of a sleek and high fashion contemporary look, simple lines, loads of varnished rosewood paneling. Feels more expensive and maybe more trendy.

FS is more of an elegant, classic contemporary design. It feels warmer and more elegant to me.

But very much a matter of personal choice!
We are staying at FSPL but we went to Bvlgari this morning to have a look at facilities & rooms. We were welcomed by the Sales Manager and were shown:
- the swimming-pool (best city hotel pool I have ever seen),
- the gym (with a full-time trainer and Technogym equipment, one part of the gym can be made private),
- the spa (several spa rooms and one spa suite which is extraordinary, with a fireplace and everything you can expect - ESPA treatments),
- private cinema (400GBP per hour)
- ballroom & some smaller venues for private parties (from 9 to 140 people),
- bar / library / restaurant,
- entry level room (larger than FSPL rooms but no view, bathrooms are great with separate toilets & bidet),
- suite Bvlgari 1 (sitting-room, dining room, kitchen, office, bedroom and fantastic bathroom with a stand alone bathtub and a lot of natural day light / no terrace, only 2 of the 7 top suites have a terrace).

She spent more than one hour with us, it was very nice and you can already expect that with 85 rooms & suites only the service shall be excellent.

We had lunch in their Italian restaurant. Food was really good and selection of wine by the glass ok. They opened this week only so we excpected may be some glitches but everything went smoothly.

As DavidO said you can see they put a lot of money in the material selection. Everything is really beautiful. FSPL is probably warmer but Bvlgari is a great challenger and their pool is a fantastic asset.

We will come back in London in October, I think we will try to stay there!

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Jun 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:06 pm

Great writeup!

For those in the know I am taking my first trip to Paris in a few weeks. I booked the Park Hyatt after deciding between that, the Four Seasons, and the Mandarin.

I have status at hyatt so that was the deciding factor, but I would change if people who have been think there is a huge difference. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
For whatever reason, I never found the Four seasons London to be all that memorable.. The room was tiny (I guess it's London) and that was the high floor overlooking the park. The spa charges for the use of steam, and fitness room was tiny.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ACfly
For whatever reason, I never found the Four seasons London to be all that memorable.. The room was tiny (I guess it's London) and that was the high floor overlooking the park. The spa charges for the use of steam, and fitness room was tiny.
I wonder if you get a discount on the steam room if you bring your own water.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by FinsUptechGuy
Great writeup!

For those in the know I am taking my first trip to Paris in a few weeks. I booked the Park Hyatt after deciding between that, the Four Seasons, and the Mandarin.

I have status at hyatt so that was the deciding factor, but I would change if people who have been think there is a huge difference. Thanks in advance!
As a person who lives between Paris and NY and know Paris and its hotels, the George V is tops, you can't go wrong at all. Actually you enjoy the service so much that nothing would compare. The valet, front desk, bar, the galleries etc etc... And try to book a table in their terrace. Actually their main bar tender won the best bar tender in France and is decorated by the president. No comparisons at all... At all. Pm me if you need any more advice for restos, or anything else.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
As a person who lives between Paris and NY and know Paris and its hotels, the George V is tops, you can't go wrong at all. Actually you enjoy the service so much that nothing would compare. The valet, front desk, bar, the galleries etc etc... And try to book a table in their terrace. Actually their main bar tender won the best bar tender in France and is decorated by the president. No comparisons at all... At all. Pm me if you need any more advice for restos, or anything else.
Wow, I am going to look at the FS now online. Might just PM you with some other questions. Thanks for helping a fellow New Yorker out!

Edited to say that I just booked based on this alone. Will make sure it's okay with wife and will cancel the Hyatt. I am a big fan of the FS in general, even got married in the Toronto hotel (now closed).

Last edited by FinsUptechGuy; Jun 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
private cinema (400GBP per hour)
2X shoreditch

unfortunately no hourly up here for comparison >
http://www.onealdwych.com/events/scr...te-movies.aspx

Originally Posted by ACfly
For whatever reason, I never found the Four seasons London to be all that memorable
service in london, probably also overall quality, spa, etc, sometimes value, and options at dining outlet
BENLEE said he never used concierges until FS london and raved about them

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Article in the Financial Times Weekend about the Parisian palace hotels market.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Article in the Financial Times Weekend about the Parisian palace hotels market.
Which unfortunately I cannot access without paying money to the FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.