Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report Philippines: One night Peninsula Manila and 12 nights Amanpulo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:07 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blueline7
Many thanks for this, RichardInSF. For whatever reason, the impression that I am getting about Manila from my online research and speaking to my children's nanny, is that Manila can be very dangerous, and is not a place to walk about, or to take anything but a hotel car....Is this the usual bogus hype, or is this place different from Bangkok, Singapore, HK, etc., where crime is of no concern whatsoever....
Makati feels like singapore or modern parts of bangkok to look at. Feels safe. Lots of guards and security checks at entrances to shopping malls and hitels (like bali).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:12 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

LOL. Yes, point taken...
But i recognise myself in you. Sometimes i can be thinking a lot about diet coke prices of 7 euro++ in a lux hotel, but in the big picture it is not really worth it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many thanks for this, RichardInSF. For whatever reason, the impression that I am getting about Manila from my online research and speaking to my children's nanny, is that Manila can be very dangerous, and is not a place to walk about, or to take anything but a hotel car....Is this the usual bogus hype, or is this place different from Bangkok, Singapore, HK, etc., where crime is of no concern whatsoever....
It really depends on what part of Manila you are in. Never felt any danger wandering around the area near the Pen and Shangri-La. There is an upscale mall, an art museum, a separate upscale restaurant mall, and corporate HQ for some large companies.

Well, ok, I stayed inside the Shangri-La the one time there was an abortive coup attempt that centered on the Pen across the street, but even during that no one got hurt and the Shangri-La club lounge kept serving food and drink as normal.

Incidentally, $80 to get between the Pen and the airport area is an absurdly high price for any car less specialized than the Popemobile.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:46 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
In the spirit of full disclosure....Makati has some history of terrorism and explosions..... but we like to believe they are getting better at their own security and preventive measures. It doesn't stop us from staying in Makati anymore than it stops us from visiting Bali, Morocco, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Trip report Philippines: One night Peninsula Manila and 12 nights Amanpulo

Found my amanpulo trip report for whoever asked about kids activities. It is in this thread. Not first post but ericka had it copied and pasted from somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.