Luxury Hotels In New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels In New York

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Am I crazy to choose PH NY over FS downtown for the same rates? (Similar room type - entry level suite)

Location - wouldn't say don't care but midtown is not 'essential'

Both properties are new builds and have the same designer (YP if I'm right) - this is weird but I actually care a lot about the shower/bathroom, anyone knows if FS Downtown can match PH NY when it comes to that? Or any alternatives?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:50 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Am I crazy to choose PH NY over FS downtown for the same rates? (Similar room type - entry level suite)

Location - wouldn't say don't care but midtown is not 'essential'

Both properties are new builds and have the same designer (YP if I'm right) - this is weird but I actually care a lot about the shower/bathroom, anyone knows if FS Downtown can match PH NY when it comes to that? Or any alternatives?
No, I wouldn't say that's crazy at all!

I like both and tend to like FS Downtown a bit better because I like the area a bit more for a better food scene and less tourists.
The FS Downtown Bathroom is great as well. I think PH's bathroom is great but can be a bit suite based. If you're in the city view suite then having a view in the bathroom next to the bathtub is great and better than FS's bathroom.

I also love the Baccarat in mid-town. Probably my favorite in mid-town for my personal taste. It's a stunning property.
Newer than PH.

A bit off track - Not sure how you booked it but booking through Hyatt Prive agents. You can likely get an upgrade from 1 bedroom suite to the city view suite at booking(within 24 hours). which would give you a better bathroom

Depending on time of year, many of my clients leverage that upgrade at booking/within 24 hours to book 1 bedroom suite to 1 bedroom city view suite or 1 bedroom residential suite to the 1 bedroom terrace suite (having a terrace in spring and fall is great for some). But often, the price jump/upgrade value from City View Suite to Residential Suite is actually the greater one to be had (could easily be $400 - $700++/night difference). So it all depends on what you value.
damon88 likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Feb 20, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
No, I wouldn't say that's crazy at all!

I like both and tend to like FS Downtown a bit better because I like the area a bit more for a better food scene and less tourists.
The FS Downtown Bathroom is great as well. I think PH's bathroom is great but can be a bit suite based. If you're in the city view suite then having a view in the bathroom next to the bathtub is great and better than FS's bathroom.

I also love the Baccarat in mid-town. Probably my favorite in mid-town for my personal taste. It's a stunning property.
Newer than PH.

A bit off track - Not sure how you booked it but booking through Hyatt Prive agents. You can likely get an upgrade from 1 bedroom suite to the city view suite at booking(within 24 hours). which would give you a better bathroom

Depending on time of year, many of my clients leverage that upgrade at booking/within 24 hours to book 1 bedroom suite to 1 bedroom city view suite or 1 bedroom residential suite to the 1 bedroom terrace suite (having a terrace in spring and fall is great for some). But often, the price jump/upgrade value from City View Suite to Residential Suite is actually the greater one to be had (could easily be $400 - $700++/night difference). So it all depends on what you value.
Thank you BESVISOR for your detailed comments! Also looked at Baccarat but it was quite a premium over the other two mentioned here.

In fact, the only reason I'm looking at FS Downtown as well is because PH NY denied my Prive upgrade a few months out! So we weren't sure if we wanted to pay big(ish) bucks to stay in a 'faux' suite only over there as their junior suites don't have well partitioned living rooms...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:55 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Thank you BESVISOR for your detailed comments! Also looked at Baccarat but it was quite a premium over the other two mentioned here.

In fact, the only reason I'm looking at FS Downtown as well is because PH NY denied my Prive upgrade a few months out! So we weren't sure if we wanted to pay big(ish) bucks to stay in a 'faux' suite only over there as their junior suites don't have well partitioned living rooms...
Anytime!!

Ahh, gotcha! I assume your TA is likely a FSPP...From my experience, FS Downtown is very good about upgrades for FSPP bookings. In case that factor helps with decision. Since PH upgrade seems a bit rocky for your stay.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:07 am

To second BESVISOR’s posts, I think you will have a very enjoyable stay at FSNYDT, G-CIVC. The bathrooms are stunning, with or without a view, and even the entry level suites still feel like a true suite. Beyond the hard product, service at the hotel is wonderful throughout and the staff truly go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. As long as you don’t have a pressing need to be in midtown, I would choose FS without hesitation. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the charm of the surrounding neighborhoods and ease of access to the subway should you wish to head uptown; during my most recent stay I didn’t even venture north of soho!

Hope you have a great trip and let us know your thoughts after!
G-CIVC and United747 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

This is a standard room bathroom and it's still very, very nice. I'm sure suites will have better views than office tower! The service at FS Downtown blew PH out of the water. No silly breakfast restrictions like PH and their asinine 57th st Breakfast limit.

The PH NY junior suite is terrible. Most get street noise and it isn't much of a partition at all. The only wall is the hallway wall that holds the bedroom television. Their bathtub had the worst drainage noise ever too.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Sad to say that after 10 years of patronizing the Crosby Street Hotel and other Firmdale brands (Hamyard, Covent Garden), I'm done with the brand. I've spent over $100k at this chain and have overlooked numerous service lapses and it's clear that none of their properties come close to the other places in the world at their price point (Four Seasons Florence, Crillon, Aman Tokyo).

I would love to take suggestions on where to stay in NYC, and money is no object. I prefer SoHo or Tribeca. Can't stand FiDi. Don't want to do Columbus Circle. And can tolerate Midtown East / UES. I have no hotel loyalty so please throw anything at me.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:39 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by sophialite
Sad to say that after 10 years of patronizing the Crosby Street Hotel and other Firmdale brands (Hamyard, Covent Garden), I'm done with the brand. I've spent over $100k at this chain and have overlooked numerous service lapses and it's clear that none of their properties come close to the other places in the world at their price point (Four Seasons Florence, Crillon, Aman Tokyo).

I would love to take suggestions on where to stay in NYC, and money is no object. I prefer SoHo or Tribeca. Can't stand FiDi. Don't want to do Columbus Circle. And can tolerate Midtown East / UES. I have no hotel loyalty so please throw anything at me.

Sorry to hear!

I would highly suggest Four Seasons Downtown which is near Tribeca and for anything near mid-town I'd highly suggest Baccarat.

Not that either is perfect, 100% of the time but they can both be very good for the NYC market.

This is based on multiple stays myself at each and having booked many clients at both properties as well (based on their feedback).
On a couple occasions when an issue occurred, they do their best to recover with the right attitude.
In fact, I have a client/friend who is staying at FS Downtown at the moment. They had some very specific requests and the management went out of the way to accommodate pre-arrival.

Hope you will have a better experience on your next visit to NYC!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I’ve heard great things about both the FS Downtown and the Baccarat. But I’d definitely throw the St Regis into the mix, too. I love boutique hotels, but I truly love the St Regis—amazing service, big rooms and suites, plush and luxurious, incredible food/beverage, and one of the best bars around. (Even though I otherwise am not a fan of Midtown.)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Thanks. Honestly the more I think about it the more I can't stomach staying north of Soho.

The FS downtown looks but location is suspect. How easy is it to walk to the cool stuff in Manhattan? Most of my trips have me around Soho or meatpacking.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:58 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Thanks. Honestly the more I think about it the more I can't stomach staying north of Soho.
The Greenwich is your only choice then to replace Crosby Street
I was going to originally post for UES & The Lowell to be the perfect replacement for Crosby Street. But if you are a meatpacking fan I'm guessing you'd feel the Lowell is too UES old world feeling
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
The Greenwich is your only choice then to replace Crosby Street
I was going to originally post for UES & The Lowell to be the perfect replacement for Crosby Street. But if you are a meatpacking fan I'm guessing you'd feel the Lowell is too UES old world feeling
Thanks. Was going to book the Greenwich but the room I wanted was taken. Maybe I’ll check it out on this trip but will book for my next one if it looks good.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:29 pm

The FS downtown looks but location is suspect. How easy is it to walk to the cool stuff in Manhattan? Most of my trips have me around Soho or meatpacking.
What do you define as "the cool stuff in Manhattan"? That can vary wildly from one person to the next.
BLV likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
I prefer SoHo or Tribeca. Can't stand FiDi. Don't want to do Columbus Circle. And can tolerate Midtown East / UES.
Appreciate your taste...

Too bad to hear about Firmdale...I've enjoyed my (much more limited) exposure to them in London.

Do look into the Greenwich Hotel another time. Great location in Tribeca (close to the Hudson).

I've also very much enjoyed the Roxy (former Tribeca Grand), but wouldn't put it in the same class of hotel.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 13, 2019 at 7:30 pm Reason: missed earlier post
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:17 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA

Thanks. Was going to book the Greenwich but the room I wanted was taken. Maybe I’ll check it out on this trip but will book for my next one if it looks good.
Just remember, if you aren't a hotel guest you can't really "check-it out" as there are no public areas at this hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.