Wiki Posts
Search

where to go next? FS maldives vs. aman

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD
where to go next? FS maldives vs. aman

first off- long time lurker and benefited greatly from fantastic reports and suggestions from musken, vos, ericka, kage and many more. Thank you for sharing!

last year I became a fan of amanresorts- stayed at amanjiwo, amandari, and amankila. davido made the arrangement for us and could not be any better. we are certainly looking forward to staying at more aman properties, with a re-visit of indonesia in the near future. I'm currently planning for a 2012 trip and we are open to visit any of the following destinations from Jan to June. As they are all great places to visit, please help us by suggesting which one to visit first!

1) amansara + amanpuri/trisara (3/3 nights)
the logical follow up to our trip to borobudur and bali, as I prefer to visit a historical/cultural destination followed by laying out on a beach. the concern here is that it may be too similar to what we experienced last year. should we put this off until we have visited a few different places first?

2) amangalla + amanwella (2/5 nights)
this destination popped up as there are local flights between colombo and koggala/dickwella now. some older threads mentioned service and food issues- has anyone stayed at these properties recently?

3) FS KH + Explorer + LG (3/3-4/3 nights)
thanks to the many great trip reports I feel I've found the right combo resorts for our first experience at this destination. several questions-
a) between jan to june, when would be an ideal time to visit?
b) we've never dove before but certainly will be for this trip. should we get certified before the trip?
c) FS explorer- any preference between the Northward Cruise and Southward Cruise?
d) open to skipping one of the FS resorts (LG?) to extend the explorer to 7 nights

FS has a slight edge over the others for now as it also carries the largest price tag. consider that I am starting a new job in july and I will most likely be too busy to travel great distances for the next 5 years (I'm based in the northeast) I can justify the hit somewhat . having experienced aman, this truly isn't an easy decision for us so thank you for your help!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:37 pm

I would choose either Amansara and Amanpuri/Trisara, or the Maldives.

I don't understand why you would be willing to spend more total nights in the Maldives than on the other itineraries. IMO three nights is way too short for Phuket- I usually stay for about a week.

If you choose the Maldives, I definitely would recommend getting certified before the trip if you can. This way you will be able to skip the introductory dive course at FS and enjoy the trip more.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would choose either Amansara and Amanpuri/Trisara, or the Maldives.

I don't understand why you would be willing to spend more total nights in the Maldives than on the other itineraries. IMO three nights is way too short for Phuket- I usually stay for about a week.

If you choose the Maldives, I definitely would recommend getting certified before the trip if you can. This way you will be able to skip the introductory dive course at FS and enjoy the trip more.
^

Option 1 is good particularly earlier in the year when the seas should be calm in Phuket & not so hot in Siem Reap - though it got too hot for me by mid morning when visiting Angkor Wat even in early Jan.
Perhaps tie in with Amantaka , there should be some Aman exclusive you can work on.

3 Kuda Huraa is nice too , agree better if you can certified prior. Haven't been on Explorer.

Aman is a" safe " choice as they can really take care of you.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:45 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Wow, this is tough. When we went to the Maldives, we had originally planned to combine with Amangalla in Sri Lanka. Then Sri Lanka had some "trouble" and we ended up changing our itinerary to Amansara and the FS Maldives since we were flying through Bangkok anyway. We have a trip report on this forum if you haven't read it already.

Regarding the Maldives, I like both FS resorts for different reasons and also very much like the Explorer. Please be warned that if this will be your first diving experience you will be spoiled for diving forever. You'll never look at the Caribbean the same! All dives in the Maldives are exceptional so even if you decide to do your final certification there you will still see very special things. The waters are supposed to be smoother in April (for the Explorer) though I would confirm this with the FS. It was pretty hot when we were there then, but nice and dry.

Then when you are avid divers, you can return to Indonesia and include Amanwana....another spectacular dive destination!

Not to further complicate things, but if you are looking for an ideal beach AND an Aman you could also consider Amanpulo.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:13 am

I love Sri Lanka but there's so much to see there that you would be missing out on by just limiting yourself to the Amans, it might be better to go when you have more time and can do a dawn balloon flight over Sigiriya, or stay on a tea plantation in the highlands, or visit the Temple of the Tooth, or laze around the wetlands.

I'd go for option 1 because I am not a huge fan of the 4S in the Maldives. I went to both LG and KH a few months ago and was disappointed. Most people love them and the service is awesome (and the Explorer looks amazing and we had a good chat to their marine biologists who were wonderful) but there were some other issues. If you are interested you can PM me and I'll give you a link to my blog review of them.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

MikeFromTokyo/FlyerEC- point taken, would modify option 1 into amantaka 3nights, amansara 3nights and amanpuri 7nights. Will try to get certified before heading out to maldives if we decide to go...

Ericka- thanks for the input. amanpulo is definitely on the list to visit! so little time.

Riya- we've been spoiled by aman and certainly wasn't expect the same level of service from 4S (and I've been disappointed by 4S before). Since you've been there recently, would you suggest a different property?

Thanks everyone!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by chowsi
MikeFromTokyo/FlyerEC- point taken, would modify option 1 into amantaka 3nights, amansara 3nights and amanpuri 7nights. Will try to get certified before heading out to maldives if we decide to go...
That sounds like a fantastic itinerary. The only thing I would add if you have time is a luxury hotel stopover in Bangkok before you fly to Luang Parabang on PG. Even two nights at MO, Pen, or FS would be a really great way to start the trip.

Also, Amanpuri offers PADI certification courses and diving. Even though this will not be the same as diving in the Maldives, it would be nice and you could use this trip as an opportunity to get your certification before a future trip to the Maldives, Amanpulo, or Amanwana.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
That sounds like a fantastic itinerary. The only thing I would add if you have time is a luxury hotel stopover in Bangkok before you fly to Luang Parabang on PG. Even two nights at MO, Pen, or FS would be a really great way to start the trip.

Also, Amanpuri offers PADI certification courses and diving. Even though this will not be the same as diving in the Maldives, it would be nice and you could use this trip as an opportunity to get your certification before a future trip to the Maldives, Amanpulo, or Amanwana.
I would suggest that you get certified beforehand regardless of where you end up going. Doing your final or "checkout" dives on location isn't necessarily a bad thing, but doing all the book/classroom work on vaca is simply not fun. Do it ahead of time - if you don't, you'll almost certainly regret it.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by challett
I would suggest that you get certified beforehand regardless of where you end up going. Doing your final or "checkout" dives on location isn't necessarily a bad thing, but doing all the book/classroom work on vaca is simply not fun. Do it ahead of time - if you don't, you'll almost certainly regret it.
I agree that it would be best to take a full course at home before the trip, but if this is not practical, another option would be to arrange to complete the academic work using PADI eLearning before the trip. https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba...n/default.aspx
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the link!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:06 pm

Ericka:
I just joined this site and enjoyed your review on India. I will going there in March but first I wanted to go to Amanpulo or back to the Maldives, and the Explorer was amazing but KH was not great but that was before the tsunami. The Amanpulo rooms look like nothing special and I have reserved a beach casita. I am suppose to Leave Feb. 24 and would like your opinion on going back to Maldives or try Amanpulo. Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:27 pm
In memoriam

Have you read the latest news out of The Maldives?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by 4halex
Ericka:
I just joined this site and enjoyed your review on India. I will going there in March but first I wanted to go to Amanpulo or back to the Maldives, and the Explorer was amazing but KH was not great but that was before the tsunami. The Amanpulo rooms look like nothing special and I have reserved a beach casita. I am suppose to Leave Feb. 24 and would like your opinion on going back to Maldives or try Amanpulo. Thanks
If you have already been to the Maldives (on the Explorer no less) I wouldn't hesitate to go to Amanpulo just to have the new experience. The decor at Amanpulo is traditional (with a nod to some local details) and classic....which probably makes it feel timeless. Aman does such a nice job of maintaining that I don't think you should feel any age or wear and tear.

By the way, the beach at Amanpulo is more beautiful than the Maldives. It's a very special experience. I have a trip report for that resort on this forum as well.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:58 pm

Hi Ericka:

Thanks again, I am going to keep my Amanpulo reservation and if this beach is better than Maldives, I will definitely be in heaven. I went to Mauritius in November and the beach was not even in the same ballpark as Maldives but wanted to see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.