Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which of these hotels would you choose in Hong Kong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.

I have narrowed my choices to 3 hotels. Would value insights. I will be in Hong Kong on December 30-January 3rd. Three choices are: Island Shangri-La, Four Seasons or New Ritz Carlton. HELP!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by orli-flier
I have narrowed my choices to 3 hotels. Would value insights. I will be in Hong Kong on December 30-January 3rd. Three choices are: Island Shangri-La, Four Seasons or New Ritz Carlton. HELP!
Four Seasons. Best location of the three (in IFC, right in the middle of Central) as opposed to Kowloon or Wanchai. Four Seasons also has Lung King Heen, which is fantastic. I recently was in HK for 3 days, and managed to eat 5 meals here (the only 2 meals we didn't eat here were disappointing). I stayed at the MO (which I highly recommend; amazing place), but the Four Seasons is excellent too. It's supposedly one of the highest occupancy FS around. I have not been to the RC, but I personally will probably not choose to stay there. I really don't like the location.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
I live in HK and would probably go for the four seasons. My brother stayed there a few years ago an loved it. While in Central it is about 10 minutes walk to the core central area but through airconditioned malls for much of the way.

Shangri-la is actually in Admiralty one MTR and 5 mins by taxi from Central. very nice hotel but older. Good location though.

RC is brand new. While it is in Kowloon East it is above a large shopping centre and the MTR (as are the others). Views from the bar are meant to be spectacular.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Another vote for the FS. Best in terms of location and service.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:42 pm

Having only visited HK once, and only stayed in one hotel, I highly recommend the Four Seasons.

Even with all the great threads here comparing HK hotels (did you search, by the way?), I will stay at the FS on my next trip to HK rather than try anything different...

Everything about the FS was just perfect, from the rooms to the service to the food to the location...

Make sure to book a Harbor facing room, even if it is more expensive.

I would suggest booking through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner agent (DavidO and others) so you will receive free breakfast at their amazing buffet, and the opportunity for a one room class upgrade (if available).

Have fun!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Another vote for FS. It's flawless for me, everything from room to F&B to service.

The Shangri-la is well located but the rooms are on the small side and a bit old.

The Ritz is brand new and being the tallest hotel in the world ( for now ) guarantees a spectacular view. However, the decor is too flashy for my taste and I don't think the rooms are well designed.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Another vote for FS. It's flawless for me, everything from room to F&B to service.

The Shangri-la is well located but the rooms are on the small side and a bit old.

The Ritz is brand new and being the tallest hotel in the world ( for now ) guarantees a spectacular view. However, the decor is too flashy for my taste and I don't think the rooms are well designed.
Totally agree with everything you say, Benlee. Four Seasons is in a different league (and yes, I have stayed in all three mentioned).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'll be an alternate voice. A Club room at the Island Shangri-La is really nice and comes with excellent service in the Club. And I have heard good things about the new Ritz Club. But really despite all that has been said in this thread, price and location count for a lot so you should think about that before you decide. Where do you need to be and what is your budget for your desirable room type.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
FS has a great club as well. It has everything including the most beautiful hotel pool area.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:38 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by wripro
FS has a great club as well. It has everything including the most beautiful hotel pool area.
While I have visited friends staying at FS including the Residences with the wonderful pool level & also frequented the Club , I have not stayed there as I prefer the MO harbour rooms/ suites ( I was there last sweltering month - rare - one off summer visit , thank goodness for the walkways which have ac but unfortunately not to IFC where FS is ! ).
But between your 3, it will be FS. I've stayed at Shangri -la ages ago for meetings, just not in the same league but well connected to the Pacific Place Mall & MTR station if you need it
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Another vote for the FS. In addition to the great location, service and rooms, their spa and fitness facilities (including an infinity pool overlooking the harbor) are top-notch. The Island Shangri-la is in an equally good location, but everything else is one notch below. The new RC is in a terrible location IMHO.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Definitely FS and double definitely if you have time to use the pool. No question!!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:11 pm

Yet another vote for the Four Seasons. It is a fabulous hotel and the service is good too..
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:59 am

I've stayed at the FS in the summer and made good use of the pool. Will be returning in Jan 2012. This is a leisure trip and would like to use the pool. From memory of my last stay in Jan, it's not warm enough for an outdoor pool. Is this correct? If so will go for a property with an indoor pool
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
From memory of my last stay in Jan, it's not warm enough for an outdoor pool. Is this correct? If so will go for a property with an indoor pool
Yes, it's absolutely too cold in January. OTOH, the Intercon has large outdoor hot tubs that are well heated, and offer a great view of the Harbor and the Island. I used them several times this past January and it felt great after a workout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.