Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

trip report - the lodge, verbier (virgin limited edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-property.html

Originally Posted by ainternational
Depending on the type of property, location and other factors, I generally request the following types of services:

Greetings by first name versus Mr. X, which I find to be the more common way of being addressed in luxury properties where staff make an effort to learn your name

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

service
for the first time, much less disclaimer. service was professional/experienced and warm. not formal, but not informal, and definitely not casual. always addressed by first name, and staff always introduced themselves when i met them for the first time. obviously no signing for anything as everything is included. i can definitely see how service could have been more professional and warm, but i guess this is the first time ive really experienced service more like what is discussed here. also, as the property is so small, the tour includes the entire property. drinks etc are offered, and luggage is taken to room during tour, which ends with room tour.

the one standout was during one lunch. the staff came after lunch and said that dessert would be 15 minutes. while we all said that was fine, she must have read the surprise on our faces (possibly strong on someone else's) because she returned after consulting with the chef to find a quicker alternative, which we all went with.

drinks are generously poured and refilled. sometimes "invisible" refills. staff is attentive but never intrusive.

i noted on one occasion housekeeping was radioed when a guest was out of their room.

in terms of dining, the property seemed very flexible. extended course menus in room, etc. next time i will try an extended course menu with wine pairings, and eating things like sandwiches elsewhere around the property.

and specifically in terms of dining selections, the chefs and staff were very attentive to dislikes, allergies, etc. whether guests pointed these things out in advance, or right before the meal, they were always accommodated.

i did a custom breakfast, and i also asked the chef to do a dessert one night. both requested in advance. for the dessert, they ended up preparing it for everyone, changing from the original dessert planned for that night. i noted that based on the menu they put out in the morning to give guests the opportunity to request changes.

im sure foodies can be accommodated, especially if youre able to talk food. but it was a positive in my opinion to not be avant-garde / molecular / etc.

the greeting letter in room at arrival was wax sealed with a stamp bearing the lodge logo. i thought that was a nice touch.

departure lunchbag - sandwiches and (from entryway) fruit, snack bars, pringles, water

entryway also included umbrellas, walking sticks, maps, verbier festival brochures, cards with the lodge phone number and emergency number, chocolates, and suncream with lip balm

staff is mainly brits, but one of the chefs is italian

the property will exchange GBP, EUR, USD for CHF. leftover CHF would have to be applied to any incidentals if you dont want it.

F&B and inclusions
breakfast included a continental table which included muesli. always on the table was a decent looking coffee machine and a kettle. just inside the kitchen was a great looking coffee machine, and i think all coffee and hot chocolate turned out well. the coffee was apparently pretty good.

a well traveled brit said the english breakfast was very good. i had that as well as omelets and french toast. lunch was lighter but included a dessert course. dinner was 3 course with canapes, and then cheese and after dinner drinks. afternoon tea offered chocolate chip cookies and some kind of cake etc.

to me, meals seemed to be balanced well. not really small portions. not poor quality or preparation. some interesting presentations - for example chicken caesar salad served vertically with flat house made croutons. 2 wines were semi-paired for dinner, a red and a white.

at least the bread (and tea cakes and chocolate chip cookies etc) if not all the pastries were freshly made in house. much was local including meat. some cheese was served the day it was made locally.

house champagne was unusually dry, which i prefer. discussing wine selection, they try to target those wines on / before the rise while they are still a good value, before becoming very popular and more expensive.

a selection of cigars and cigarettes are complimentary. smoking is only permitted outdoors. staff bring/move ashtrays as necessary.

laundry is complimentary for t-shirts, shorts, jeans, underwear, socks, and only costs 4-12 CHF for other items including ski wear.

rooms
included a kettle and a bodum - one of these? http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/10357-16US/ french press?

full size cowshed amenities including bath foam and lotion in rooms. also suncream with lip balm. rain shower and handheld in shower. wireless internet and phone. interestingly phones show charges in CHF when making a call.

views are pretty good, but there are chalets across the street, and a path and road behind the property - going up to chez dany.

2 750ml? bottles of water with glasses at least at turndown if not at the daily housekeeping as well. giant toblerone at first turndown, replaced upon request.

do not disturb is a stuffed st bernard.

interestingly, their standard practice is to not give out room keys. obviously you can lock the doors when in the room and there is a small safe. room keys are actual keys attached to sizable pieces of wood or synthetic.

property and guests
the lift is a decent size, and even includes an ottoman style seat.

the pool has jets for distance swimming, and actually gets some natural light.

the lodge has 2 volkswagen vans. transfers are done by connected 3rd party company? a volkswagen phaeton (very nice) and a van. request the phaeton if you and your luggage will fit.

entryway is coded, changes weekly. outside are lockable ski racks. also place for bikes? just inside is a ski room with boot warmers and drawers.

same full size cowshed amenities and towels in common restrooms and shower.

i noticed a soccer net and croquet outside along with a number of padded wooden chairs and a padded hammock. outdoor sofas were royal botania.

there are lights around the exterior of the property along paths and on the terrace. there are two reserved parking areas, as well as some additional space out front.

seems very child friendly including child offerings, but children are only allowed in bunkroom and only 1 family/group can book the bunkroom. groups are limited to a certain number of rooms, presumably 4 or 5, before being required to book exclusive-use. i saw a group of 3 rooms.

i saw occupancy range from 4 rooms and 8 people to 8 rooms and 15 people. i saw dining range from 3 people to 12 people.

guests included europeans and americans as well as -- im not saying whether one of those "nationalities" or another -- a famous participant in verbier festival, who spoke with the guests at their end of the table at their first meal. pretty cool. i really enjoyed the communal dining.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 3, 2011 at 8:01 am
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

the dog in the pictures on the website is bam bam, not related to the dog on necker. they are very good about feeling guests out on dog friendliness, and standard procedure is to keep the dog downstairs during dinner. also, the dog sometimes accompanies guests on walks/hikes/etc.

i did not make it to the festival, nor do anything especially interesting in verbier this trip.

apparently a kenya property is in development

not virgin limited, but exclusive-use that is JV between branson and head of virgin blue >
http://www.makepeaceisland.com/Home.aspx

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

apparently a kenya property is in development
Interesting news re: Kenya. Thanks! And thanks for the detailed report.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:15 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I always like the look of Branson properties. Never been to one, though. Thanks for this report.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
A pity you have left, otherwise we could have met in Verbier.
Thanks for the report in any case.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

room view

view
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1858/dsc01292b.jpg

neighbors (only during winter?)
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8616/dsc01296a.jpg
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3251/dsc01297l.jpg

view above neighbors
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8754/dsc01303tg.jpg
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9319/dsc01484n.jpg

looking at
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8766/dsc01349cc.jpg

cloud cover
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6421/dsc01466u.jpg

pool natural light
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9489/dsc01410e.jpg

sorry i resized, wasnt thinking
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

adding >

names are written on small chalkboards on room doors
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

cant believe i forgot this - they have universal power adapters, both a handful in each room, and also a bunch in the common areas. so convenient. how common is this? whether in room or common areas.

and of course a hairdryer in bathroom.

there was also a makeup etc mirror, on a stand. (i dont think i mentioned the one at castle hill inn either. the one at castle hill had the full arm to wall setup with light, and (at least from a male perspective ) seemed relatively impressive.)

i see i didnt mention it here (and i dont recall if i mentioned it in previous reports) but i obviously have more pictures, and can post upon request as long as i have the requested picture.

adding >

also recall the topic of full length mirrors coming up here. had one in my room.

chefs are available for cooking classes etc, tailored to guests. you can just walk into the kitchen anytime and talk to chefs etc.

99% sure my room had a sofabed, and even if not, it would have been ok for sleeping
not sure if parents could have their child in room with them

adding >

do not disturb and chocolate
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Locatio....html#43405877

from rear
http://cdn.media.kiwicollection.com/...gstodo-ski.jpg
you can see 2 doors in the near corner
the door on the left goes into the stairwell area
the door on the right is kind of like a french door (floor to ceiling) window, right into a guest room

i think i figured out the sofabeds in guest rooms. looking at ratecard for exclusive use, i think its basically so that 6 under 18 can either be accommodated in bunkroom (with shorter than standard beds, and all together) or in 'parents' guestrooms. at least for the average paying guest.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 20, 2012 at 8:23 am
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:21 am

Thank you Kagehitokiri for a great report!

I am visiting The Lodge this summer and I would like to ask you if there is any dress code and how the tipping works?

Thank you!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

no dress code
no tipping ('everything' is included) - can leave an envelope with tip at departure

4th nt free jun 14 > sep 16
lots of staff changes (and now smaller dog) since i was there
one of chefs, and person who provided standout service are both still there

hope you enjoy and dont run into any problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.