Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul hotel recommendation

I will be spending around 3 days in each cities at the end of july and was looking for recommendations. Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul it looks like all three cities are quite affordable, some of the choices I saw were FS, Park hyatt, W(not luxury but would not mind trying it), IC (I am RA so IC always treat me nice), the pen is quite cheap in Beijing...
Let me know your thoughts.
Also I have a choice to spend the week-end in Beijing or Seoul which is the better place (never been to neither cities).
Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by david-alexis
I will be spending around 3 days in each cities at the end of july and was looking for recommendations. Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul it looks like all three cities are quite affordable, some of the choices I saw were FS, Park hyatt, W(not luxury but would not mind trying it), IC (I am RA so IC always treat me nice), the pen is quite cheap in Beijing...
Let me know your thoughts.
Also I have a choice to spend the week-end in Beijing or Seoul which is the better place (never been to neither cities).
Thanks
I suggest you search this forum, the China forum, and the Asia forum because there are lots of threads on these topics. Between Beijing and Seoul, even though I'm biased (I live in BJ), I think BJ wins hands down in a variety of respects (history, food, art, great wall, etc). Plus, you can try the new train from Shanghai.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I suggest you search this forum, the China forum, and the Asia forum because there are lots of threads on these topics. Between Beijing and Seoul, even though I'm biased (I live in BJ), I think BJ wins hands down in a variety of respects (history, food, art, great wall, etc). Plus, you can try the new train from Shanghai.
Sure but I was looking for up to date luxury hotel recommendation, anyone?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:20 am

Sure but I was looking for up to date luxury hotel recommendation, anyone?
You should read and participate in existing threads; it's that simple. But, it would be smart for you to jump on that Penn BJ deal while it lasts; even though I prefer the Park Hyatt (in addition to a few other properties), that is a steal at $150.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Echo much of what fellow FTer and Old China Hand moondog mentioned.

However, on Seoul I feel sort of secure enough to give some recs:

Don't stay in Gangnam if not necessary because of meetings etc. It doesn't matter how nice the PH or RC are inside because the neigbourhood is so crowded and hectic.

My Seoul favourites:

Millenium Hilton (Exec room or suite) - Remarkable service and the location on Namsan means the rare chance to take a morning jog or evening walk in peaceful, green surroundings

Grand Hyatt (Exec room or suite) Also here great location on Namsan, plus a nice spa/pool and the fantastic views from the lobby coffeeshop. If one is into nightlife, the nightclub downstairs is (in)famous in Seoul.

Lotte Hotel (Exec room or suite) Best executive lounge in Seoul and good location in the "old" downtown amongst corporate headquarters and lively shopping opportunities

Don't like The Shilla that much because I do consider the location inferior to those mentioned before.

And if it has to be Gangnam and one is not aversed to some bling, please give the Imperial Palace Hotel some consideration. New York style in the busiest part of Seoul.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
You should read and participate in existing threads; it's that simple. But, it would be smart for you to jump on that Penn BJ deal while it lasts; even though I prefer the Park Hyatt (in addition to a few other properties), that is a steal at $150.
Got in on this (penn)! thanks
I am just missing Shanghai now...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:27 pm

Got in on this (penn)! thanks
I am just missing Shanghai now...
Where is your office in SH?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
In shanghai you have several option.
Depending if you want to stay in Najing Road / Bund area or in Pudong area.

First option i reccomend FS.... in Pudong Peninsula is a good choice.

Best
the_daddy
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
In shanghai you have several option.
Depending if you want to stay in Najing Road / Bund area or in Pudong area.

First option i reccomend FS.... in Pudong Peninsula is a good choice.

Best
the_daddy
The Peninsula is not in Pudong, it is on the Bund, facing Pudong.

The Four Seasons is very, very dated and tired - soon to be refurbished, thankfully, but not a great place to stay right now. The Pen is in a different league entirely and has the best location & most comfortable rooms/suites.

On Pudong, I don't like the Park Hyatt - too tall by far - although it's currently the best place to stay on Pudong until FS opens next year.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:07 am

I meant to say pretty much the exact same thing as vuittonsofstyle when I saw The_Daddy's post, but was on my way out the door.

Some really fancy new properties have opened in SH during recent months, including a sister hotel to own of those uber expensive Dubai places. I will try to do a bit more research, but the reviews of the place I just mentioned have been lack luster (it's surely a nice place, but probably not 5 times nicer than the LRM).

Last edited by moondog; Jul 9, 2011 at 12:00 am
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:33 am

Hotels

In Shanghai----Peninsula or Royal Meridien
Beijing------Peninsula
My wife and I have stayed at these several times.
In Seoul we have used the Fraser Suites hotel.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
If you don't caret the location.

Here are my preference hotel.

Seoul Park Hyatt, W or Banyan Tree Club

Shangahai Peninsula, Puli, Ritz Carlton Pudong and Waldorf Astoria( old tower)

Beijing Opposite House and Park Hyatt.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The Peninsula is not in Pudong, it is on the Bund, facing Pudong.

The Four Seasons is very, very dated and tired - soon to be refurbished, thankfully, but not a great place to stay right now. The Pen is in a different league entirely and has the best location & most comfortable rooms/suites.

On Pudong, I don't like the Park Hyatt - too tall by far - although it's currently the best place to stay on Pudong until FS opens next year.
sorry for the mistake.... you are right...I ment st. regis in pudong.... while FS i was there about 2/3 years after their opening, i think 2005/2006 and did not image it came already very very tired... :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.