Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Spas in Luxury hotels are generally badly managed"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Arrow "Spas in Luxury hotels are generally badly managed"

"Luxury hotels usually focus on architecture and pampering, at the expense of knowhow and homecare. We even saw some obscure niche brands without laboratory behind them, but with a good sense of marketing, chosen by luxury hotels on the sole ground of being exclusive.

These places are often badly managed, especially as they are difficult to be profitable and the occupancy rate is low. But things are changing. Like Raffles hotels, which have been disappointed by the results of its spas, including in Asia. They are now looking for a partner who can bring expertise and customers loyalty." says Clarins CEO

source: Le Figaro

Last edited by nicolas75; Jun 12, 2011 at 4:08 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
"Luxury hotels usually focus on architecture and pampering, at the expense of knowhow and homecare. We even saw some obscure niche brands without laboratory behind them, but with a good sense of marketing, chosen by luxury hotels on the sole ground of being exclusive.

These places are often badly managed, especially as they are difficult to be profitable and the occupancy rate is low. But things are changing. Like Raffles hotels, which have been disappointed by the results of its spas, including in Asia. They are now looking for a partner who can bring expertise and customers loyalty." says Clarins CEO

source: Le Figaro
I find this to be unbelievable rubbish. I agree that Raffles have never managed to create really good spas, but this does not apply to other luxury hotel brands, such as Four Seasons and Amanresorts, or even Capella.

I also think that someone (Clarins?) is having a go at the success of some niche spa brands that, unlike Clarins, are not sold in pharmacies and supermarkets.

Good spas are profitable. Take the spa at FS George V, or Amanpuri - both are incredibly profitable. They are also exceptionally well managed, with top notch therapists.

If Raffles brings in someone like Clarins to run its spas then, for me, this reinforces the fact that Raffles does not understand spas at all.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
I don't understand their point. If Luxury Hotels don't know how to manage their Spa's than who does? The ones on the street corners of Bangkok that offer "Happy Endings"?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very understated vuittonsofstyle

thread title quote is probably correct, but article seems like transparent PR - attacking organic products regardless of quality, and suggesting that quality has no bearing on luxury so all that matters is profit margin

and as usual, not keeping "luxury hotels" narrow, but including all properties that call themselves that regardless of quality
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Well, well
I did not think that quoting a few lines from an article in "Le Figaro" would lead to such a controversy

I deducted from the comments:
- All the luxury hotels have excellent spas, and all are profitable,
- CEO of Clarins, yet one of the most respected cosmetics brands, is only aimed by the willingness to harm niche brands (despite some of them have very standard or even harmful components, as it was revealed when an international cosmetics group analysed the components of the products of the niche company it wanted to acquire)
- a cosmetics group like Clarins, which has opened its first institute in the late 50s and manages spas of prestigious hotels has nothing to say on the subject,
- Raffles Hotel, which is, as everyone knows, a slightly improved version of Motel 6 hotels, is completely stupid to change things in its hotels
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:16 am

Well, well
I did not think that quoting a few lines from an article in "Le Figaro" would lead to such a controversy

I deducted from the comments:
- CEO of Clarins, yet one of the most respected cosmetics brands, is only aimed by the willingness to harm niche brands (despite some of them have very standard or even harmful components, as it was revealed when an international cosmetics group analysed the components of the products of the niche company it wanted to acquire)
- a cosmetics group like Clarins, which has opened its first institute in the late 50s and manages spas of prestigious hotels has nothing to say on the subject,
- Raffles Hotel, which is, as everyone knows, a slightly improved version of Motel 6 hotels, is completely stupid to change things in its hotels
Nicolas, your response is extreme. Nobody said that ALL Luxury Hotels have excellent spas or that all are profitable. Most are awful and probably not profitable, which is why I named 2 and mentioned a third.

Clarins is a respected cosmetic brand because it has been going for a long time and is a household name, but things have moved on since those days and there are now better spa products on the market with fewer man-made chemicals in them.

Raffles is not completely stupid to change its spas, just short sighted in the way it intends to do this, IMHO.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at the expense of knowhow and homecare. We even saw some obscure niche brands without laboratory behind them, but with a good sense of marketing, chosen by luxury hotels on the sole ground of being exclusive.

These places are often badly managed, especially as they are difficult to be profitable and the occupancy rate is low.

partner who can bring expertise and customers loyalty." says Clarins CEO

amanresorts for example are designed to have low occupancy.

nice try with the straw men.

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I also think that someone (Clarins?) is having a go at the success of some niche spa brands that, unlike Clarins, are not sold in pharmacies and supermarkets.

Good spas are profitable. Take the spa at FS George V, or Amanpuri - both are incredibly profitable. They are also exceptionally well managed, with top notch therapists.

If Raffles brings in someone like Clarins to run its spas then, for me, this reinforces the fact that Raffles does not understand spas at all.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
thread title quote is probably correct, but article seems like transparent PR - attacking organic products regardless of quality, and suggesting that quality has no bearing on luxury so all that matters is profit margin

and as usual, not keeping "luxury hotels" narrow, but including all properties that call themselves that regardless of quality
vuittonsofstyle, would you agree "spas in luxury hotels are generally badly managed" is probably correct?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 13, 2011 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.