Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easter break in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Easter break in Chicago

We will be visiting Chicago for the first time from April 22-25. We are traveling with our two daughters who are 4 and 12 years old. Both are seasoned travelers and very well behaved. Our hotel options are: a Deluxe room at the RC, an Executive suite at the FS, or a Classic Executive suite at Elysian. We would like there to be a decent pool, and good food from in-room dining. No outdated rooms would also be a plus! What do you think we should choose?

We have Easter brunch booked at the FS. Is this a good option or are there better choices? All of us are foodies, even the little one! I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Lemon-Lime
We will be visiting Chicago for the first time from April 22-25. We are traveling with our two daughters who are 4 and 12 years old. Both are seasoned travelers and very well behaved. Our hotel options are: a Deluxe room at the RC, an Executive suite at the FS, or a Classic Executive suite at Elysian. We would like there to be a decent pool, and good food from in-room dining. No outdated rooms would also be a plus! What do you think we should choose?

We have Easter brunch booked at the FS. Is this a good option or are there better choices? All of us are foodies, even the little one! I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!
Four Seasons Chicago is superb for young kids - easily the best family option, and they have refurbished, so your Exec Suite should be very comfortable.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:55 am

Would you consider the Trump? You get a great spa, good F&B. However, the major point of note is the rooms, which are about twice the size of comparable ones at the hotel's you've listed for the price. In particular, a River View Deluxe Suite is around 1200 sf, and comes with a full kitchen and two full bathrooms. This might make your stay more comfortable, but it's totally personal opinion.

Between the options you've listed, I'd go for the FS. The Exec. Suites at the Elysian are rather cramped in design for a family of four, though I liked the F&B. No idea how they handle kids, though I'd imagine that both the RC and FS, as FS hotels, would have the strongest programs in place.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

We did look at the Trump, however we managed to get some really good rates at the other hotels. Another option was the Peninsula, but we've heard mixed reviews. The kids wanted a pool, and a really good Easter brunch. The adults wanted a nice room, good location and great service.

If anyone has any not to miss dining experiences they would like to share, we would love to hear it!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:56 am

We did look at the Trump, however we managed to get some really good rates at the other hotels. Another option was the Peninsula, but we've heard mixed reviews. The kids wanted a pool, and a really good Easter brunch. The adults wanted a nice room, good location and great service.

If anyone has any not to miss dining experiences they would like to share, we would love to hear it!
Fish and chips at FS Chicago - better than the British version!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:58 am

Based on your criteria, the Trump probably isn't quite best, as it's not known for top-notch service nor incredible food. The Peninsula will have just as good service, a slightly better pool, and just as good food as the Four Seasons, so it's really personal preference. If I may ask, what are you being quoted for the Exec Suite at the Four Seasons? I can't imagine the Peninsula will come up with a better rate for their Exec Suite, but it is larger and laid out in such a way that it will afford the adults some more privacy. The living and bed spaces are separated by a hallway which contains a very large master bathroom.

As a side note, I'm really missing the Sunday Brunch at the Four Seasons--I don't think I've eaten since I had it yesterday!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Fish and chips at FS Chicago - better than the British version!
Well, that's great to know since we all love fish and chips!

Originally Posted by nba1017
Based on your criteria, the Trump probably isn't quite best, as it's not known for top-notch service nor incredible food. The Peninsula will have just as good service, a slightly better pool, and just as good food as the Four Seasons, so it's really personal preference. If I may ask, what are you being quoted for the Exec Suite at the Four Seasons? I can't imagine the Peninsula will come up with a better rate for their Exec Suite, but it is larger and laid out in such a way that it will afford the adults some more privacy. The living and bed spaces are separated by a hallway which contains a very large master bathroom.

As a side note, I'm really missing the Sunday Brunch at the Four Seasons--I don't think I've eaten since I had it yesterday!
Not sure of the exact rate, my husband works for Amex and got a Travel Industry rate. Based on what he said, they were all pretty good and comparable.

Thanks for all the input!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
We have Easter brunch booked at the FS. Is this a good option or are there better choices?
Fantastic brunch, especially if you like carved-to-order smoked salmon and caviar. The last time I was there, I also particularly enjoyed the braised short ribs with soft polenta and lemon cheesecake. Sushi is prepared by a chef along side the buffet displays, not brought in from an outside vendor as is the usual practice at so many hotel brunches in America so the rice is fresh.

Alcoholic beverages are at an additional charge.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:02 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The Sunday brunch at the Four Seasons is a local institution in Chicago as you will see families in their absolute best (and in certain cases worst) Sunday attire. Kevin Hickey, the Executive Chef does a great job and you should try his version of the Chicago dog -- a decidedly upscale but extremely tasty version nevertheless. He makes his own wiener in house......

I would go for the Four Seasons -- you can always try Deca at the Ritz Carlton which has some excellent brasserie fare or go to Spiaggia just a mere 4 minutes from the FS for some wonderful italian food.

If you cannot make it to Hot Doug's, Portillo's is closer and is great for the kids as well. THe milkshakes are to die for!!

If you just want a really good sandwich try Potbelly Sandwich works in the 900 North Michigan mall attached to the FS....

Enjoy!!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas!

Is the Elysian worth checking out for a night or two? I keep hearing great things about it, but it seems like everyone thinks FS is the way to go.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luxury
I would go for the Four Seasons
not the reverse? (stay at RC, brunch at FS)

RC >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12762493-post8.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12774713-post10.html

or has departure of GM grosso impacted F&B?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:12 am

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas!

Is the Elysian worth checking out for a night or two? I keep hearing great things about it, but it seems like everyone thinks FS is the way to go.

It's certainly worth it, but it depends on what you're looking for. I liked the Elysian best as a solo traveler without my car. The house service was a very convenient way to get to and from meetings, and I thought the service was very coolly hands-off (in a positive sense). However, I also had to spend up to get a category of room I was satisfied with (Premier Gold Coast Suite at ~$750).

I also don't think it has an overly kid-friendly vibe, in terms of decor and programs, and the pool is not as comprehensive as that of the FS (or Peninsula, Trump, etc). The balconies could also potentially be a safety hazard for your girls, though that's completely subjective.

You certainly won't dislike it, but I do think it's more of an adult hotel.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by nba1017
It's certainly worth it, but it depends on what you're looking for. I liked the Elysian best as a solo traveler without my car. The house service was a very convenient way to get to and from meetings, and I thought the service was very coolly hands-off (in a positive sense). However, I also had to spend up to get a category of room I was satisfied with (Premier Gold Coast Suite at ~$750).

I also don't think it has an overly kid-friendly vibe, in terms of decor and programs, and the pool is not as comprehensive as that of the FS (or Peninsula, Trump, etc). The balconies could also potentially be a safety hazard for your girls, though that's completely subjective.

You certainly won't dislike it, but I do think it's more of an adult hotel.
Agree that Ritz-Carlton, a Four Seasons Hotel, is aimed more at adults, whereas FS Chicago goes out of its way to cater to adults and children.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:28 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not the reverse? (stay at RC, brunch at FS)

RC >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12762493-post8.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12774713-post10.html

or has departure of GM grosso impacted F&B?
For the OPs needs, the FS is IMO the better option. I love the RC but I think the FS is better for families.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gotcha.

some interesting things >

http://www.fourseasons.com/chicagofs...ounger_guests/
- bedtime stories butler
- ice cream man
- radio flyer wagons
- seasonal story-telling teas

http://www.fourseasons.com/chicagorc...ounger_guests/
- cookies with the chef (ill bet available to FS guests)
- candy man
- coloring books and crayons at deca

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.