Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Castle Hotels

Has anyone ever stayed in Ashford Castle in Ireland or any Castle Hotel in Ireland or Scotland or Southern France? If so, which one, and what were your thoughts on it?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Yes stayed in a few including Ashford which is provides a unique setting, as they all do, but also great service.
Most castle should avoided in the winter and hot summers. Most rely on the pull of the building rather than service. As you can imagine the decor is rather bland being a castle. Frankly I try to avoid the places but if you have not tried why not, just not my thing!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Castle Hotels

Originally Posted by Golden
Yes stayed in a few including Ashford which is provides a unique setting, as they all do, but also great service.
Most castle should avoided in the winter and hot summers. Most rely on the pull of the building rather than service. As you can imagine the decor is rather bland being a castle. Frankly I try to avoid the places but if you have not tried why not, just not my thing!
Thanks for your thoughts! Will keep them in mind. I have a "thing" for castles - I love their architecture, and the romantic mystery of it all, not to mention the grounds (depending on which property you're at).
We stayed at Parador Alarcon in Alarcon, Spain about 5 years ago, and it was top notch. They really kept the integrity of the castle while integrating modern amenties...the food and drinks were great, as well.

I welcome other thoughts and recommendations from anyone out there who has stayed in any Castle Hotels.
Thanks in advance! ^
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ATJ422
Has anyone ever stayed in Ashford Castle in Ireland or any Castle Hotel in Ireland or Scotland or Southern France? If so, which one, and what were your thoughts on it?
I've stayed at both Ashford Castle and Dromoland Castle in Ireland. I didnt like either,in particular Ashford. Whilst the setting is beautiful I just didn't like the suite or service.The food was good in both castles but service...

Perhaps they don't suit my taste as Earthman is quite fond of Ashford

On the other hand I really like Ballynahinch Castle (more of a manor house) for its service and food,I would be more inclined to recommend it on the Ireland forum rather than the Luxury forum as its bedrooms/suites are quite simple.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
I just stayed in a small castle hotel in Germany called Hotel Sankt Meinolf at the Moehne lake. It's a smaller place in a very quiet area. If you like hiking and quiet nature you might check it out.
The cost of the rooms is very reasonable, under $100 per night incl a nice breakfast.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pedropescador
I just stayed in a small castle hotel in Germany called Hotel Sankt Meinolf at the Moehne lake. It's a smaller place in a very quiet area. If you like hiking and quiet nature you might check it out.
The cost of the rooms is very reasonable, under $100 per night incl a nice breakfast.
Thanks so much Pedropescador and Paul2. I will take your thoughts in consideration!

Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:46 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Ashford Castle

Have stayed in a few castles in Scotland too , we really enjoyed Ashford the most . ^
It was a beautiful setting and we had a relaxing time even though we did a fair bit of activities, exploring.. including the falconry. Wish we had stayed longer.

We had excellent meals which they prepared especially for us with my allergies. The suite we were in was , to me , very ' castle like '. The service while we were guests was superb. Perhaps, as we found out later , the owners knew we were going to be staying and may have accorded us special privileges??

But the hardware cannot be faulted.

We are very pleased that we made an effort to make the scenic drive there from Kenmare/Cork ..
Also wanting my Irish relatives in the US to visit - since it's near where their family came from!!

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 31, 2011 at 12:55 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:04 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Just look at the Relais & Châteaux guide

Inverlochy Castle in Scotland (Fort William) is a fantastic place and well located in the Highlands.

In Southern France I would recommend Château de Rochegude (near Avignon) or more in the West on the Lot river fantastic Château de la Treyne.

All these properties are part of my favorite marketing group: Relais & Châteaux - of course .
Old Mar 31, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I love Ashford castle.
It's very serene and relaxing.
My Aunt and now my cousin own a castle and I was brought up in one so I guess I'm biased in that respect.
Theres just something about them when properly maintained.
Service at Ashford is good but not on a par with your average Aman I'd reckon obviously.
The grounds are beautifull and theres something about the creak of the floorboards under the carpet as you walk along.
We prefer rooms in the old part of the castle,near the fountain which you can hear outside and which is very relaxing as you go to sleep.
The village of Cong where the quiet man was filmed is less than a 10 minute stroll away through the woods with a few pubs and nice small restaurants.
the castle has it's own Dining room though where you won't go too far wrong with Martin looking after you.
The somellier is actually a part time farmer and a laugh and a half.
Galway is about a half hour drive.

I also like Adare manor and in Cork city near ucc,Hayfield manor.
Service in the latter has never disappointed us.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Castle Hotels

A thousand thanks to FlyerEC, behuman and Earthman for your thoughts and excellent recommendations! So greatly appreciated and will be taken seriously when I make my plans. @:-)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Inverlocky in Scotland, Ashford Castle, Dromoland, and Hayfield Manor are all Virtuoso, so be sure to book thru a Virtuoso agent.

Not a castle, even though it's called Gregans Castle, it's a towerhouse from the 15th century, is in the Burren and has outstanding service and some of the best food anywhere. Cozy bar with a peat fire. It's been in the owner's family for years and years and he and his wife are very hands on. Definitely book a minimum of a junior suite; premier suite recommended.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
Inverlocky in Scotland, Ashford Castle, Dromoland, and Hayfield Manor are all Virtuoso, so be sure to book thru a Virtuoso agent.

Not a castle, even though it's called Gregans Castle, it's a towerhouse from the 15th century, is in the Burren and has outstanding service and some of the best food anywhere. Cozy bar with a peat fire. It's been in the owner's family for years and years and he and his wife are very hands on. Definitely book a minimum of a junior suite; premier suite recommended.
Thank you sooo much, Linda!! Your help is appreciated!! ^
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Why Virtuoso, just book direct or via the Relais & Chateaux website

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
Why? Many hoteliers to whom I spoke have a very tarnished opinion regarding Virtuoso.

In my experience being a regular guest of a hotel chain or marketing group and contacting them directly you get more than what Virtuose advertises claiming these perks as their USP.

At many occasions I saw unhappy Virtuoso guests claiming their freebies which were forgotten during the process .
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
I don't agree.
Thats bad advice for a first time booking.
My own experience with TA programmes like virtuoso,FSpp and stars has been very good compared to a hotel programme like starwood or stand alone bookings.
Thats in terms of treatment and in the fact that you have someone there with a bit of clout if something goes wrong.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:22 am

Question Want to pay more thanks to the intermediaries.

Originally Posted by Earthman
I don't agree.
Thats bad advice for a first time booking.
My own experience with TA programmes like virtuoso,FSpp and stars has been very good compared to a hotel programme like starwood or stand alone bookings.
Thats in terms of treatment and in the fact that you have someone there with a bit of clout if something goes wrong.
Fair enough, but on the other hand intermediaries make products more expensive for us all. This is not the spirit of FT.

At a top property like Inverlochy Castle they will do their utmost to satisfy your needs as long as you clearly tell them. No intermediary needed. For more exotic or/and less trusted destinations/places I fully agree with you.

This is comparable to a complicate RTW itinerary where a TA is useful but not needed for a simple last minute point to poiint flight.

Since an Aman whose name I will not disclose here stated that they have to pay 25 % to Virtuoso I am really shocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.