Wiki Posts
Search

Bali Hotel Recommendations for Solo Traveller

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Bali Hotel Recommendations for Solo Traveller

I am looking at the usual suspects (Amankila, Four Seasons Jimbaran, St. Regis), but would appreciate any recommendations for which one to select, or perhaps another one entirely, for a solo traveler.

Having stayed at Trisara, solo, I found it fantastic and no issue for a solo traveler, albeit it was only two nights and I am planning on staying 3-4 this time. I am wondering whether Amankila might be a bad idea for 3-4 nights solo...And then in that case am leaning towards the Four Seasons.

Also, some of the flights I am looking at arrive at DPS late evening and depart DPS very, very late evening....therefore wondering if driving at night would be a problem, and whether these resorts offer very late check out for people who are catching such flights.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:57 pm

If you planning on doing things while at Amankila then 3 or 4 nights will be great. If you like to just relax at Amankila then I would do one night at Amanusa and not because its closer to the airport but for the different options for dinning. Aman will get you to the airport with ease no matter what time you need to be there. If possible they will offer you a late check out I would assume since you will be spending money eating and drinking while your there. Have a great time! I've done Aman alone and loved it but I did like the TV's in the room at Amanusa so much they offered to place one in the room at Amanjiwo when I told them I was solo and would like the option of turning on the TV.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Do you prefer to stay on property or venture around??

Aman Resorts are magical; but, (for good reason) very "compound". I like Amankila and Amadari.

I ask about your preference as I like the "Ahimsa" villa properties due to their comfort, privacy and accessibility to the outside world.

http://www.theahimsa.com/

I have stayed at each and the are very unique to each other. Jimbaran for beach access, Estate for the heart of Seminyak and the Estate for access to the dining and entertainment of the Oberoi, KuDeTa and beyond.

Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Out of curiousity, what makes a hotel better/worse for a solo traveller?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:05 am

If you want to get out and about in the evening for dinner and people watching, or even during the day, you may want to look at the Seminyak. We found that the best area for food, shops, etc. Good luck.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
Out of curiousity, what makes a hotel better/worse for a solo traveller?
Good question...I think that for me at least, even with very much enjoying a tranquil breather at a luxury resort by oneself, one may feel a little overly isolated in a remotely situated villa within a compound. So therefore one may want to venture out a bit to perhaps a beach restaurant, or a shopping area. Also, if a place has honeymooners at every other table and Joe Solo at the remaining table, could be a little uncomfortable...

But as I said with Trisara, there was absolutely no solo traveler issues whatsoever....Although seeing couples did make me wish that my wife could come along...
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyr16
If you want to get out and about in the evening for dinner and people watching, or even during the day, you may want to look at the Seminyak. We found that the best area for food, shops, etc. Good luck.
Many thanks! Are you referring to The Samaya Bali?

Regarding Ahimsa, the pictures look very nice and I saw some excellent reviews, however it seems a bit DIY, no? This could be good for families who want to cook etc., no?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:16 pm

Yes, actually the Samaya. Though for a single you may want to look at the property directly next door, a bit more of a high rise. The name of which is escaping me right now.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by blueline7
Good question...I think that for me at least, even with very much enjoying a tranquil breather at a luxury resort by oneself, one may feel a little overly isolated in a remotely situated villa within a compound. So therefore one may want to venture out a bit to perhaps a beach restaurant, or a shopping area. Also, if a place has honeymooners at every other table and Joe Solo at the remaining table, could be a little uncomfortable...
Thanks for the explanation. As a solo traveller myself, I do tend to avoid those resorts that tend to advertise mostly to couples.

FWIW, I had a fantastic solo stay at the Bali Hyatt last November (although most people seem to prefer the Grand Hyatt), with the only misstep being that when I arrived at the hotel and was welcomed with a lei of flowers, the greeter was all set to adorn a second guest similarly, but there was none.

Also had a great stay at the IC Bali, and I didn't feel out of place at either hotel.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:10 am
Suspended

Check Nikko hotel in Nusa Dua.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:18 am

If the OP is looking for something that compares to Trisara then they should stick to Amanresorts in Bali.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:31 am

Is this your first trip to Bali - if so I suggest staying in Ubud as you will be closer to most of the temples, rice terraces etc.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I wound up doing a somewhat unplanned solo trip to Bali in 2009. Stayed 3 nights at the FS Sayan and 1 night at the FS Jimbaran Bay. Originally planned to do 2 X 2 but was upgraded to a great villa at Sayan and so extended my stay. Absent that, I'd recommend doing a 2X2 split.

Both were great and fine for a solo traveler. Nothing better than having your own plunge pool.

I may be bit more of a loner than you though. Perfectly happy doing happy hour on my own at the FS Sayan and talking to the staff rather than other guests.

I did not eat dinners at either hotel -- Sayan did not seem conducive to a solo diner. Good places to eat in town in Ubud (Naughty Nouri's) as a solo diner and along the beach at Jimbaran Bay.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Chedi Club is pretty solo friendly too. Happy hour on your own is no problem -- staff love to talk.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Is this your first trip to Bali - if so I suggest staying in Ubud as you will be closer to most of the temples, rice terraces etc.
And stay at Amandari. If they weren't used to solo travelers before, they are now: I've seen to that, having stayed there often, and always solo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.