$4 to Mail a Hotel Postcard!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$4 to Mail a Hotel Postcard!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I sent a ton of post cards from everywhere I go.

I haven't ever expected a hotel to pay for my postage. In fact I always use the hotel gift shop to buy a post card with the city I'm visiting (if the hotel is in the background, so be it... but typically I pick cards with something more ineresting) And then I buy stamps to send them around the world... mainly to Australia and France.

For the first time ever I was given a post card for free after a trade show at the Marriott in Albany, NY... that really took me by surprise, I had my money out ready to pay for it.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
$4 is ridiculous

Like many,if I need to post something I'll have it already stamped and just ask the front desk to post it and they smilingly oblige.

If guests are in a hurry eg checking out for the airport,then it's reasonable in my view for them to gift one or two stamps ESPECIALLY on their own hotel card.

The hotel needn't advertise this as a service,just instruct front desk staff to do it as a courtesy.
It's not rocket science for the front desk to have a stash of stamps on hand for this.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Earthman
$4 is ridiculous

Like many,if I need to post something I'll have it already stamped and just ask the front desk to post it and they smilingly oblige.

If guests are in a hurry eg checking out for the airport,then it's reasonable in my view for them to gift one or two stamps ESPECIALLY on their own hotel card.

The hotel needn't advertise this as a service,just instruct front desk staff to do it as a courtesy.
It's not rocket science for the front desk to have a stash of stamps on hand for this.
WE DO NOT SEEM TO UNDerstand, hotels are not in the service business. they are in business to mane money for their investors. anything done for free that can be , is seriously calculated cost vs benefit. if something unusual, and is not on the schedule pops up, that is usually done for free. money is not changed for free. telephone is not free, computer is not free. now fax is strange. the danieli hand delivered a fax to me on the tarmac at VCE. i was on the bus en route to airplane, when an auto stopped the bus!!!

the danieli has twice retrieved my glasses from my arrival plane at vce. not on the rate schedule. they charge a couple of bucks(euro,lira)to mail a danieli postcard, of which there are about 10 in the desk in each room.

bottled water is seriously expensive in the room. those little pierrerz. on the schedule. the prosecco is free. calculated cost vs benefit.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I never knew you could mail hotel post cards for free! At the Hyatt Johannesburg I mailed a hotel postcard for free, but that was only because they had printed "Complimentary Postage" or something similar where the stamp would go.

I will keep this in mind for future travel as I usually send out plenty of postcards to family and friends. ^
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:26 am

At least, they did it for you.

Never mind, don't bother yourself with this details of incometence

I don't know, maybe during the Olympics, Vancouver was a vivid city with some kind of atmosphere... when we were in Vancouver and Victoria, I couldn't help it.. I couldn't wait to get back home - meaning: worst vacation ever.

Mediocre 5* hotels, mediocre service, mediocre food and the list goes on.

I hope for you that you liked the rest apart from the stamp thing
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
WE DO NOT SEEM TO UNDerstand, hotels are not in the service business. they are in business to make money for their investors. anything done for free that can be , is seriously calculated cost vs benefit. [..]
bottled water is seriously expensive in the room.
Really, this depends on the hotel. Of course, they are there to make money.
But real 5* do a lot for "free" and even in cheap hotels, sometimes, there are just human people who work there. And they might have a heart or understand you...
I would say, if you really are pickey about your choice you can get a lot "for free" after having spend a lot..
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Originally Posted by SLVGM
Dear cohighcountry1k,

Greetings from the Shangri-La Vancouver and our sincere apologies for the Post Card response from our staff. We totally agree that sending our signature hotel post card should be with our compliments and i will personally ensure this is communicated to all of our staff starting with the Concierge.

Although we do have high performance ratings on Flexibility and extending our brand of hospitality, sometimes we do miss the mark. , which in your case was unnecessary. I really appreciate you bringing this to my attention. It is unfortunate that you have appeared to have checked out? In anycase, if we can be of any assistance in the future, pls do not hesitate to contact me personally.

In the meantime, wishing you safe travels and a graet weekend.

Best regards,
Ed Brea
General Manager
Ed,
Thanks very much for taking the time to find this and write back in the public forum. Few GM's take the time to engage in FT and I know FT members appreciate it. I'm also glad that this issue has been corrected by you and your staff.

All,
I did start this thread because I wanted to verify if I have been receiving special treatment or if my expectations were not properly aligned. I know it's a small, trivial thing. It seems that many FTers are prepared to pay for mailing of signature post cards. My informal poll of collegues suggest that most hotels have mailed signature post cards as a complimentary service.

I can't even remember which hotel set this standard for me, it was so many years ago. I'll continue to send my Grandmother occasional cards and hope that most hotels continue to offer this as a complimentary service. I'm sure my Grandmother appreciates it!

cohighcountry1k
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Always paid for the postage, and do not wonder why I should not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.