Search

Turks & Caicos Trip Report: Grace Bay Club & Amanyara

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by bobjunior
I'm planning to book here for late august and am traveling with a 2.5 yo and 6 mos old.

Regarding room style: We try wherever we go to stay in suites that have a separated second room (doesn't need to be bedroom per se) that we can sleep the kids in cribs in at 7.30pm, leaving another space for us to be after they're down. Can anyone advise as to whether the pavilions have a separate enough secondary, closed-off space for the babies? The Sri Lanka reservations office seemed to think so but also hesitated to call any area other than the main part of the pavilion a separate room. I know there's obviously an outdoor area we could spend time in.

Regarding upgrades, what are the odds on getting upgraded to an ocean or pool pavilion if we book a standard (late August)?

And finally, any thoughts on bugs/mosquitos or humidity/temperatures that we should consider in terms of babies? They're both well behaved and will stay with us. We're just looking for a little time on the beach and in our room to relax and recharge... I'm just a touch concerned about hurricane season.

Thanks!!
Regarding the room, I'm looking back at my pictures and honestly can't tell whether the back bathroom section has doors or not. Go ahead and email the resort directly and they will have a firm answer for you.

We were upgraded from a pond pavilion to an ocean. We booked through Virtuoso and are frequent Aman guests.

Regarding mosquitoes....we didn't have many in July. Regarding hurricanes, find out if the resort will change your dates if a hurricane is approaching. It was hot in July, but also breezy by the ocean.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver; Delta
I'm planning to book here for late august and am traveling with a 2.5 yo and 6 mos old.

Regarding room style: We try wherever we go to stay in suites that have a separated second room (doesn't need to be bedroom per se) that we can sleep the kids in cribs in at 7.30pm, leaving another space for us to be after they're down. Can anyone advise as to whether the pavilions have a separate enough secondary, closed-off space for the babies? The Sri Lanka reservations office seemed to think so but also hesitated to call any area other than the main part of the pavilion a separate room. I know there's obviously an outdoor area we could spend time in.

Regarding upgrades, what are the odds on getting upgraded to an ocean or pool pavilion if we book a standard (late August)?

And finally, any thoughts on bugs/mosquitos or humidity/temperatures that we should consider in terms of babies? They're both well behaved and will stay with us. We're just looking for a little time on the beach and in our room to relax and recharge... I'm just a touch concerned about hurricane season.

Thanks!!
I would email the GM. I'm sure you could negotiate an upgrade; I'll PM you his email.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Flying Club
We just returned from a two week stay at Amanyara with two children (2 and 5) in tow. We stayed in two types of pavilions – the ocean pavilion and the suite pavilion.

The ocean pavilion has no separate or secondary area. However, they arranged everything impeccably for us to make it as comfortable as possible for the children. ^

Have a look at the set up below with the crib and the toddler bed.

The suite pavilion is a different story altogether with two pavilions at either end separated by a huge sitting area and nanny quarters. Plenty of privacy.

Mosquitoes are most certainly an issue.

They set up three mosquito coils for us in the outside lounging/dining areas, as well as an electronic device inside the pavilion every evening at turn down. If you abhor mosquitoes/flies, one simply cannot keep the doors open.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:45 pm

It may just be me, indianenglish, but your photo is not showing up ... only a blue box with a "?" in it.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9987217...th/9441193362/

thanks indianenglish
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
This is all incredibly helpful. Thanks to all, especially indianenglish for photos. I'm going to PM the GM and see if they can help us sort out the sleeping arrangement. I'd have the kids sleep in our room as indianenglish set it up in their pavilion but the baby still wakes and cries now and then and will keep the toddler, everyone, etc. up.

I could give it a try but would really prefer the two separate spaces.

indianenglish, I don't abhor flies or mosquitos but did you find it uncomfortable? were the coils etc effective?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ngfan, great details! any special orders for dining?
Well, two tuna maki rolls as appetizer (one roll is the standard) followed by Idaho potato puree with olive oil as my main...

My request was taken professionally but heard that the chef reassured himself with the Assistant F&B manager twice that this was the order I requested

My wife kindly asked for a behind-the-scenes kitchen tour which was granted and a very interesting experience. The cooks all knew not only her name but at which Amans we have stayed in the past...

Last edited by ngfan; Aug 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
We stayed in a Pool Pavilion with an infant and it was a bit tight for our comfort but doable.

They did suspend a curtain from the ceiling around the crib which made it a bit more private.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:06 am

Does anyone have any insight on which pavilion to get? Ocean ? Is it worth splurging a little and getting the Ocean pavilion 115 that has its own little cove?
Pool Pavilion? I think I'd prefer to look out onto the ocean.

Would November be a good time to go? Can anyone contrast the differences / experience between Amanyara and FS Bora bora?

Thank you
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:59 pm

Update

I could give it a try but would really prefer the two separate spaces.

indianenglish, I don't abhor flies or mosquitos but did you find it uncomfortable? were the coils etc effective?
YW Bob Jr.

If you want a high degree of privacy and depending on your budget, I would recommend the Suite Pavilion.

I am a mosquito magnet in the tropics, so I just roll with it. The coils were very effective but the thing is you cannot enjoy the lovely weather whilst being in the room.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by kmklint
Does anyone have any insight on which pavilion to get? Ocean ? Is it worth splurging a little and getting the Ocean pavilion 115 that has its own little cove?
Pool Pavilion? I think I'd prefer to look out onto the ocean.

Would November be a good time to go? Can anyone contrast the differences / experience between Amanyara and FS Bora bora?

Thank you
In my (not-so-humble) opinion:

If you want to feel you are in the Caribbean and on the ocean, I would recommend the Ocean pavilion. Also, it is possible to walk into the ocean with your snorkel gear or just step out into the water and go for a morning swim in the ocean.

The ocean pavilion with the cove would be be brilliant, especially if you would like to have a private dinner with your SO.

In the pool pavilion, you could be literally anywhere in the tropics and of course you have your own private pool. And i know this sounds a bit dodgy, but there is too much vegetation for my taste around the pool pavilions.

The suite pavilions are huge - probably 2500 sq ft. But they come with a price tag to match. And again, no ocean views.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Kryptonite
Amanyara - Ocean Pavilion Choice

'Afternoon FTers. My wife and I are headed to Amanyara in the beginning of September. We selected an Ocean Pavilion, but #115 with the private cove was already taken. Any other recommendations for specific pavilion numbers to request?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:51 pm

Arrow

Originally Posted by alpinecow
Any other recommendations for specific pavilion numbers to request?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
Hi folks,
I booked Grace Bay Club through DavidO. Might first booking with him and he was really helpful and prompt through the whole process.

Leaving this Saturday and will report back on our return.
Very grateful for the advice.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.